What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

So a few months back I believe @TXsteeler, @iPwn @HorizontoZenith and a few others were discussing obesity and more specifically food deserts and the lack of fresh produce in certain areas.  

Well fast forward to today and came upon this place:

https://www.verticalharvestjackson.com/vertical-harvest-jh

It’s a 1/10th of an acre building that produces the yield of a 5 acre farm year round.  Dead center of Jackson too.  As Jackson doesn’t have a growing season, they have to ship all produce in.

Long story short I spend way too much there and truly hope places like this become commonplace everywhere.  Oh, and most of the workers are disabled adults, which was cool as they don’t have much in the way of employment options.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So a few months back I believe @TXsteeler, @iPwn @HorizontoZenith and a few others were discussing obesity and more specifically food deserts and the lack of fresh produce in certain areas.  

Well fast forward to today and came upon this place:

https://www.verticalharvestjackson.com/vertical-harvest-jh

It’s a 1/10th of an acre building that produces the yield of a 5 acre farm year round.  Dead center of Jackson too.  As Jackson doesn’t have a growing season, they have to ship all produce in.

Long story short I spend way too much there and truly hope places like this become commonplace everywhere.  Oh, and most of the workers are disabled adults, which was cool as they don’t have much in the way of employment options.

Interesting, but that place looks expensive AF to build, I wonder how cheaply stuff like that can actually be done.

Also, they don't state how many people they can actually feed with that. With no prior knowledge, quickly googling it says that an acre can feed maybe 4 people, so 20 for this building, but then other stats say that an average American eats about 2000 lbs of food a year, so that would put this building at 50 people's worth of yearly food. That number itself may be low though because Veggies are probably (i'm assuming here but it makes sense) higher in nutrients and calories then meats per weight.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Interesting, but that place looks expensive AF to build, I wonder how cheaply stuff like that can actually be done.

5 million for the facility and the land leased to them by the city on the cheap as long as they “benefit the community”, which they obviously are.

I’d think they’re getting state support as well for hiring disabled workers, but idk.

4 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Also, they don't state how many people they can actually feed with that. With no prior knowledge, quickly googling it says that an acre can feed maybe 4 people, so 20 for this building, but then other stats say that an average American eats about 2000 lbs of food a year, so that would put this building at 50 people's worth of yearly food. That number itself may be low though because Veggies are probably (i'm assuming here but it makes sense) higher in nutrients and calories then meats per weight.

I’m not sure what the number is, but they supply local restaurants and grocery stores with lettuce, tomatoes, etc. so it’s a pretty decent amount of produce they put out.

Also, unlike many farms, especially up north, this is a year round production as opposed to one growing season, so that could (potentially) increase the yield by 4x based off what you googled. Planting is staggered and they always have fresh stuff available.

It was really awesome to see and can’t help but think these things should be more prevalent.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

So I googled it and found some articles talking about it, and a video from when it was being pitched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3Yd7dT1Mpc

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/27/business/a-ski-town-greenhouse-takes-local-produce-to-another-level.html

http://mountaintownnews.net/2014/01/16/jackson-holes-vertical-harvest-greenhouse/

https://www.theclearcreekgroup.com/blog/2018/04/02/growing-produce-and-meaningful-employment/

https://www.yellowstonepark.com/where-to-stay-camp-eat/vertical-harvest-jackson

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/an-interview-with-architect-nona-yehia-of-vertical_us_58ec1852e4b0145a227cb7c9

https://inhabitat.com/this-vertical-farm-will-provide-wyoming-residents-with-100000lbs-of-fresh-produce-each-year/

Most of these articles actually cover different things at various depths or show different pictures of what's going on. Still can't tell how many people it will feed but I suppose it's actually just supplemental nutrition since everybody can already get calories from processed foods, plus it's local so the money stays in the community.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

5 million for the facility and the land leased to them by the city on the cheap as long as they “benefit the community”, which they obviously are.

I’d think they’re getting state support as well for hiring disabled workers, but idk.

I’m not sure what the number is, but they supply local restaurants and grocery stores with lettuce, tomatoes, etc. so it’s a pretty decent amount of produce they put out.

Also, unlike many farms, especially up north, this is a year round production as opposed to one growing season, so that could (potentially) increase the yield by 4x based off what you googled. Planting is staggered and they always have fresh stuff available.

It was really awesome to see and can’t help but think these things should be more prevalent.

Did you take any of their classes there or get a tour of their stuff? It looks really cool, and I agree these things should be more common in society, not just the vertical growth but just communities growing their own food through schools and prisons and such.

Also, I'm just curious but maybe you don't know. I googled the city and it doesn't look like you guys are exactly strapped for open land to build on. Do you know why they had to build it in the middle of the city or did it not really matter and they just wanted to?

13 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Did you take any of their classes there or get a tour of their stuff? It looks really cool, and I agree these things should be more common in society, not just the vertical growth but just communities growing their own food through schools and prisons and such.

Walked in after hitting up a brewery as it looked cool.  Lady working in the front had been there from the beginning and is a teacher who had worked with some of the disabled workers since they were kids.

Also, I'm just curious but maybe you don't know. I googled the city and it doesn't look like you guys are exactly strapped for open land to build on. Do you know why they had to build it in the middle of the city or did it not really matter and they just wanted to?

They are most definitely strapped for space, it’s all public lands and the city/state doesn’t want the town to lose it’s “small town charm”.  There’s no land for sale really. Many homes are second homes, many into the 7-8 figure range. The joke around here is the billionaires pushed the millionaires out a while ago.

My wife and I looked into real estate when we were here last October and we were looking at needing to spend 350k for 1500 sq/ft for 3b/2ba (which honestly isn’t big enough for us right now) and that would have been across the Tetons in towns 30-60 minutes away (weather not being a factor, which in the winter it definitely is).  Those homes weren’t nicely finished either, laminate floors, basic appliances, etc.

Nearest “reasonable” place would be probably be Idaho Falls, which is definitely an hour plus drive away.

8 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I have zero hope on the Sansa Stark version - they botched Apocalypse, so pretty sure they'll botch this. 

I don't either. But one can dream that we'll eventually get it.

• Like 1

So I just got a letter in the mail saying I owe $300 per month since February on an oxygen concentrator I use to sleep since my insurance cut out. It would've been nice to know this in, like, February instead of just sending me a random $1500 bill but you know, this way works too I guess. 

48 minutes ago, Tyty said:

So I just got a letter in the mail saying I owe $300 per month since February on an oxygen concentrator I use to sleep since my insurance cut out. It would've been nice to know this in, like, February instead of just sending me a random $1500 bill but you know, this way works too I guess. 

Declare bankruptsy!! That bill will disappear

55 minutes ago, Tyty said:

Just breathe better.

• Like 2