What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

59 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

ants aren't active at night.

He lives in Arizona where its warm enough for bugs to be active at all hours.

In fact, I have read that warm weather causes bugs to go through their life cycles at a faster rate. Meaning they reproduce and die more rapidly than the same bugs in other areas. When you couple this with the 'theory' of evolution (Dr Evil quotes on the word theory) - bugs in warm areas are evolving faster than bugs in other areas. pretty creepy when you really think about it.

9 hours ago, N4L said:

He lives in Arizona where its warm enough for bugs to be active at all hours.

ahaa. i imagine they might even be more active at night, it being too hot for them during the day.

fun fact: hive insect populations (ants, bees, termites, wasps) are 99% sterile females.

Edited by vike daddy

Went to the ER the other week after I strained my lower back and literally couldn't get up off the floor of my living room. Was there for maybe an hour and got a shot or Toradol, a Valium dose and a Lidocaine patch.

$1,072 billed for the visit alone and another $134 from the Doctor.

Yay.

36 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Went to the ER the other week after I strained my lower back and literally couldn't get up off the floor of my living room. Was there for maybe an hour and got a shot or Toradol, a Valium dose and a Lidocaine patch.

Yay.

You got off easy 

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yay.

chopped my thumb at work with a knife but workmans comp got me out of paying. Sorry to hear man.

5 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yeah only because we avoided having to call an ambulance. Still, $1,300 for an ER visit when I have a really freaking good healthcare plan is just exhausting.

That's pretty normal.

Basically for most good health plans you won't pay for stuff if it's preventative.  But for ER visits, you're going to pay a large portion of the costs unless you've hit your deductible.

Insurance really doesn't want you going to the ER.

I probably would have tried an urgent care first.  They're much less expensive.

14 minutes ago, theJ said:

This.

But also I’ve had my back go out like that. You’re not exactly thinking with a clear mind when suddenly all you can do is barely muster a crawl in incredible pain. When it happened to me, all I could think about was how I needed to find a way to get to my bed and somehow hope it was better when I woke up. It wasn’t.

50 minutes ago, theJ said:

Insurance really doesn't want you going to the ER

No they don't.
However, you can negotiate with the hospital on the ER costs. There's a blue book for healthcare costs and if you do some homework you can show them how far out of the norms they are. I  got my ER visit reduced by 30 % and part of that was I told them if they agreed to the reduction - I'd write the check right now in the finance office. Finance people are incentivized for timely collections.

https://www.healthcarebluebook.com/

1 hour ago, theJ said:

That's pretty normal.

Basically for most good health plans you won't pay for stuff if it's preventative.  But for ER visits, you're going to pay a large portion of the costs unless you've hit your deductible.

Insurance really doesn't want you going to the ER.

I went to Urgent Care first. They told me to go to the ER lol because first and foremost they needed to make the pain in my back go away and the UC didn't have any medication there to give out.

So we were forced to go to the ER to get the shot and meds so that I could at least move without extreme pain lol

It's not hard to see why most people who are "healthy" avoid going to the ER at all costs, though.

If it was that expensive of an ER visit, it’s most likely the deductible hasn’t been met. Might be $100-$150 after the deductible is met. 

If you have standard insurance through work, make sure to get an FSA. It will really help with situations like this. If you have a high deductible plan, make sure to get an HSA, and put at least your deductible on it through the year.