What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

Shower Thoughts:

When you get into a random altercation with a stranger (they're being too loud at a movie theater, they cut you in line, ****** your parking space, shoulder check you without apologizing, blast their music on the bus, etc.) and ask them to stop indulging in their own selfishness, they respond with "well what are you going to do about it???" or "do something then!!!" 

So...what do you do? Risk starting a physical altercation that probably isn't worth it? Let them have their win now knowing that they can walk all over you along with anyone else? What do you do???

You stand your ground and firmly tell them why their actions are selfish and unwarranted

You can't hesitate or look skittish 

"What are you gonna do about it?" "I'm gonna cuss you out for it, that **** ain't right"  

2 hours ago, N4L said:

You stand your ground and firmly tell them why their actions are selfish and unwarranted

You can't hesitate or look skittish 

"What are you gonna do about it?" "I'm gonna cuss you out for it, that **** ain't right"  

Ehhhh...an earful isn't going to stop them though from blasting their music, cutting you in line, talking during the movie, etc. 

Because at the end of the day, you can not like what someone is doing, but if you can't fix the problem...why confront said person in the first place almost. Some selfish people don't care if you scream/yell at them. You're just a ***** that won't make a move. Then they got you. A lot of selfish people simply speak of the language of "might equals right"/"I have the gun and you don't so therefore I win". Actually, that's probably humans in a nutshell. 

Someone did come up with a semi-decent solution elsewhere though: 

You could try an honest, "No thanks, I'm not going to (going back to) prison over this, I was just hoping you'd be a decent person."

Then you can either inform management, call the cops, or just walk away, whichever is appropriate.

I mean, you might not convince them to stop doing what they're doing, but you do get to back out of the situation via cryptic comment so you don't like like a ***** to the bully + onlookers. Then afterward you can go get the appropriate authorities to handle it. 

I'll be honest, my response now to the above is vastly different than it would have been 10 years ago. I have a wife and three young children, a good reputation in the community, a nice career, and frankly, the risk doesn't match the potential downside. How do I know that person is sober? How do I know that they don't have a weapon? I mean, if I got tap-danced on now, it's not a huge deal, but a guy pulls a knife/gun or whatever, that's a totally different scenario that me 10 years ago wouldn't really have considered, and if something happened, yeah my family would have been devastated, but I don't leave a widow and three young children without a father. 

If it's someone obnoxious in a movie theater, you can typically group shame them by excessive "SHHHHHHHH's" or "Put your phone away!" without them knowing that it was you 4 rows back, or you take the coward's way out (zero problem with this) and talk to the manager out in the hallway and conveniently come back with a drink/popcorn/candy from the concessions so that they didn't know it was you. The other scenarios aren't worth any type of altercation to me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Shower Thoughts:

When you get into a random altercation with a stranger (they're being too loud at a movie theater, they cut you in line, ****** your parking space, shoulder check you without apologizing, blast their music on the bus, etc.) and ask them to stop indulging in their own selfishness, they respond with "well what are you going to do about it???" or "do something then!!!" 

So...what do you do? Risk starting a physical altercation that probably isn't worth it? Let them have their win now knowing that they can walk all over you along with anyone else? What do you do???

In a situation where i'm face to face with a guy, i probably just look at them and walk away with talking.  People are uncomfortable with eye contact and silence.  Speaking just to say something dumb and weak gives away any power you have in that situation.  Plus it's not really worth an altercation.

Also, what @MWil23 said.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, theJ said:

In a situation where i'm face to face with a guy, i probably just look at them and walk away with talking.  People are uncomfortable with eye contact and silence.  Speaking just to say something dumb and weak gives away any power you have in that situation.  Plus it's not really worth an altercation.

Also, what @MWil23 said.

Firm/unrelenting eye contact with a calm expression on your face, rolled back shoulders, and stoic expression goes a LONG way. Agreed.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Shower Thoughts:

“My buddy @SwAg is gonna whoop your ***”

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dome said:

“My buddy @SwAg is gonna whoop your ***”

LOL, also well worth the comedy points. It puts the onus of "tough guy" on "that guy" in your group of friends that would never resort to a physical altercation, you gauge their response while all eyes shift to them, you've likely neutralized the situation using comedy/while addressing it in some capacity. Classic.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I'll be honest, my response now to the above is vastly different than it would have been 10 years ago. I have a wife and three young children, a good reputation in the community, a nice career, and frankly, the risk doesn't match the potential downside. How do I know that person is sober? How do I know that they don't have a weapon? I mean, if I got tap-danced on now, it's not a huge deal, but a guy pulls a knife/gun or whatever, that's a totally different scenario that me 10 years ago wouldn't really have considered, and if something happened, yeah my family would have been devastated, but I don't leave a widow and three young children without a father. 

If it's someone obnoxious in a movie theater, you can typically group shame them by excessive "SHHHHHHHH's" or "Put your phone away!" without them knowing that it was you 4 rows back, or you take the coward's way out (zero problem with this) and talk to the manager out in the hallway and conveniently come back with a drink/popcorn/candy from the concessions so that they didn't know it was you. The other scenarios aren't worth any type of altercation to me.

Well yes...I have a son that is almost 3 now...and I'm 33. I don't live in the USA anymore, but I do have this irrational fear that whenever I go back there is going to be someone that I may have to confront, and ask them to stop indulging in their own selfishness because it's directly effecting me. Of course people don't like even a suggestion that their behavior may be in the wrong. Anyway, nothing trivial is worth getting injured, injuring someone else, or going to jail for. I guess unless your immediate safety is threatened, it's always best to let it go. At the same time I do kind of want to have my cake and eat it too, because I hate when people are thoughtless and just feel like they can walk over anybody with their rude ways, because "well what are you gonna do about it???"

I do have a plan B though. Get super buff and big so that people's demeanor changes when they try to square up against you. I'm only 5'10", so...yeah...a buff short guy is a joke to some people. 

2 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Well yes...I have a son that is almost 3 now...and I'm 33. I don't live in the USA anymore, but I do have this irrational fear that whenever I go back there is going to be someone that I may have to confront, and ask them to stop indulging in their own selfishness because it's directly effecting me. Of course people don't like even a suggestion that their behavior may be in the wrong. Anyway, nothing trivial is worth getting injured, injuring someone else, or going to jail for. I guess unless your immediate safety is threatened, it's always best to let it go. At the same time I do kind of want to have my cake and eat it too, because I hate when people are thoughtless and just feel like they can walk over anybody with their rude ways, because "well what are you gonna do about it???"

I do have a plan B though. Get super buff and big so that people's demeanor changes when they try to square up against you. I'm only 5'10", so...yeah...a buff short guy is a joke to some people. 

Wait is 5'10" sohrt now?

40 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Wait is 5'10" sohrt now?

Well by internet standards 5'10" is short. It's either 6'0"+ or get out. New era, new rules, new load of societal crock. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1