What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

10 hours ago, twslhs20 said:

The Job is in Van Nuys, but I was told by the recruiter that Santa Clara would be cheaper. Based on my calculations, I don't think I can swing it.

You have to plan on about $2k in rent, or at least an extra hour of driving each day to get it down a little. If it just you, and you don't have a lot of debt, it's probably doable. There are a lot of people in the area that do it on less.

The other things to consider are quality of life, and what the opportunity actually is. The LA area is fast, and busy. All of the time. There's always traffic, and lines for everything. On the plus side you have anything you need as far as entertainment, food, sports, travel, it's all there.

If the job can really help your career, it could be worth it. If it's just another job, and a slight raise, I don't know that I would personally do it. I lived there though, and see it from a different perspective when I go back home to visit. It's a busy life, but some people love that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

I'm guessing they meant Santa Clarita, but you probably don't want to set yourself up for much of a commute in the LA world. 20 miles can be 30-40 minutes especially if you are going with traffic from a bedroom community to the work zone. Tell the recruiter that somebody with your skills and experience is worth $75k in LA and that if he was any good at his job - that's what he would get you. Recruiter is getting paid some of your salary for the first 6-12 months depending on contract, so there's some room on this one. Not $15k, but some.

And as Counselor noted, what's your quality of life aspirations ?

Yes Santa Clarita, my apologies.

The job tops out at 55K, potentially 65. The recruiter knows my salary expectations, so I'm mainly taking the interview to talk to the executive team. She told me, since the business is expanding, that a lot of people are taking pay cuts to get into the industry. I told her I get that but I can't make a bad deal for myself. I could make everything work for 75K,. but that's it.

I can stomach a lower quality of life for a bit. I would be changing industries and the opportunity would give me a direct reports. So it's a step up. I would need assurances that I could move up quickly if I completed various predetermined KPIs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrDrew said:

You have to plan on about $2k in rent, or at least an extra hour of driving each day to get it down a little. If it just you, and you don't have a lot of debt, it's probably doable. There are a lot of people in the area that do it on less.

The other things to consider are quality of life, and what the opportunity actually is. The LA area is fast, and busy. All of the time. There's always traffic, and lines for everything. On the plus side you have anything you need as far as entertainment, food, sports, travel, it's all there.

If the job can really help your career, it could be worth it. If it's just another job, and a slight raise, I don't know that I would personally do it. I lived there though, and see it from a different perspective when I go back home to visit. It's a busy life, but some people love that.

I've seen everything from 1500-2500. I budgeted for 1500 and couldn't make it work. I took all average CA utilities, rent, and other various factors, and increased them by 30% as a worst case scenario. Then I increased my car payment based on a new 29K car at 12% interest for 60 months. My student loans were based on a fast track model from FSA.org (I should have them crushed by 2030). I increased my entertainment budget by 50%. It's just me, and I'm moving from a semi podunk town in MO to a fast pace metropolis in LA. My goal was to create the absolute worst case scenario to see how much cushion I had. I'm in the hole 4100 lol.

Job helps my career. It's in cannabis testing, so my background in crop protection can translate. I'll get direct reports for the first time as a supervisor. Transferring my career into operations is becoming a bit of a hassle.

Maybe, if they love me in the interview, I can get what I want. If not, I'll move on. As Chris Voss says, no deal, is better than a bad one.

• Like 1

So i have one hair i've been keeping an eye on in my real bad coronavirus beard.  It's like super white, and somehow it's growing faster than all the rest, or maybe it just looks longer because it's so straight idk.  Anyway, it's real long now.  Do you guys think this is possibly a harbinger of things to come?  Like, maybe one day if i live to be old, and the world lives until i'm old...i'm going to have like a full on dope *** jet white Marx beard?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tyty said:

I wonder if Wednesday used to be pronounced Wednesday but after years and years eventually it devolved to wensday

Most of the days of the week are taken from Norse god names.  Wednesday was taken from Odin, whose German name is Woden.  So probably.

Tuesday is another weird one, from Tyr or Tiwaz.  Second spelling lets you see more how it got there.