What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

28 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

im still upset at some of my accidentally deleted video game save files.

I locked my keys in my car on back to back days... sometimes I’ll still flash back to the moment I realized I was closing my door with the keys in the ignition and get mad about it all over again. This was like a decade ago.

My wife and I have a joint checking and savings account. Until our kids all go to school/preschool, she works 20 hours a week, only 8 hours a week from the office and the rest from home, and I go to work full time. She should be transitioning back full time in roughly 2 years, maybe 3.

I think the important thing is that we made this decision together and discussed the ramifications of her not working full time for a 8-10 year window starting 5 years ago. She wanted to be home more with our kids and I support her in that decision. The funny thing is, we don’t pay for childcare, so essentially her working 20 hours and not paying for childcare is the same as her working full time and us paying for childcare.

We lived a bit more frugally until we built our “forever home” that we just moved into after selling our nice but modest home last year in a hot market, making a decent profit.

All that to say, we discuss big purchases together, while still having the freedom to buy some things for ourselves every now and again. Most of this is because the first 2 years of our marriage were spent paying off all student loans, living in a 500 sq ft apartment, and we have ALWAYS lived off of one income and put the rest into savings, investments, and rainy day/fun money/house projects.

I am blessed in that my wife and I see eye to eye on money and that has never been an issue of contention for us, but we’ve made some major lifestyle decisions to get to where we are.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, ET80 said:

No, I haven't. In fact, I recall what started this discussion:

What recourse is there if a person who is legally authorized to take the money takes the money? I have plainly laid that out as the tenant of a joint account, right? Legally, nothing wrong has happened if my wife goes to Chase, gets a Cashier's Check for $6.31 and goes to Mexico, Canada, India, Mars - doesn't matter in the least, NO CRIME HAS BEEN COMMITTED. 

I can get the T&C's of Chase, Wells Fargo, Citi... Tell me which one, the language on this is pretty consistent.

But it happens more often than you think.

Why does it have to be a 3rd world country? Seriously, you're aware that India is a G20 country and that China has a bigger economy than the US, right? Sweden has a better quality of life than the US, why are you assuming someone is running to South Sudan or Somalia?

Can you give me a percentage of how many of those nine divorces ended without somebody skimming or stealing/hiding assets? Probably not. Neither can I, but I didn't introduce this stat to the discussion.

Then why is this a difficult concept for you? What's the recourse on a joint account when a joint user drains it and goes... literally anywhere that is not where you are?

I have additional T&C's, banking regulations, SWIFT laws and wire code I can cite as my evidence. I have yet to see a counter to my original reference.

Feel free to enlighten me.

15 hours ago, N4L said:

fatal flaw here, your wife could drain the bank account BEFORE filing for divorce.

that precious judge order to not touch any joint money, hasnt happened yet. 

I could go on but you are teetering into the territory of posters that arent worth my time

That's not how it works. At least not in Texas. You have to provide bank statements and justify any withdrawals. You literally stand in front of a judge and explain it. And any money that has ever been comingled is jointly owned. Obvi other states have different rules.

I am willing to concede that some people might flee the country. But you guys have to concede the flaccos potential wife is not one of them. Because 99% of people dont just dump everything in their life for "normal people" money. That's absurd.

If dude had rich people money, he would have a prenup. 

So my laptop wont turn on. It's an Aorus prebuild from 4 years ago. Only used it for work and school. It has some power, as the bird power button will light up, but thats it. I can't get the damn thing to kick on. My only thought was to let the battery drain completely then try to fire it up tonight after work. I keep it in sleep mode most of the time. Probably a mistake. Any thought or suggestions? A good chunk of my life is on that thing, and I have a fantasy draft on Saturday.

4 hours ago, twslhs20 said:

So my laptop wont turn on. It's an Aorus prebuild from 4 years ago. Only used it for work and school. It has some power, as the bird power button will light up, but thats it. I can't get the damn thing to kick on. My only thought was to let the battery drain completely then try to fire it up tonight after work. I keep it in sleep mode most of the time. Probably a mistake. Any thought or suggestions? A good chunk of my life is on that thing, and I have a fantasy draft on Saturday.

Is it on and the screen backlight is just broken?  Shine a flashlight on the screen and see if there's anything there.