What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

11 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Gonna be an uncle in about 3 weeks.  My sister wanted me to buy him a stuffed animal because she found a stuffed animal our uncle got her as a gift when she was born and it made her feel happy.  

I told her, “**** that ****, stuffed animals are stupid.  I’ll get him something else.”  I was thinking about a cool toy or something, but then I thought the only cool toys probably wouldn’t last long as a keepsake since they’re all cheap plastic.  I thought maybe one of the collectible toys like McFarlane toys or something, but then I thought he wouldn’t be able to enjoy it until he was older or play with it too soon and break it.

I had recently decided to get into woodworking after being sick of the prices of shelving and nothing fitting what I wanted.  Built two shelves for my theater basement.

So I decided to build him something.  Started looking at simple chair projects for kids and found a design I really liked.  Couldn’t find any plans for it though, so I definitely winged it.  It’s only 4 pieces, no screws, no nails.  Two triangle pieces, a back and a seat.  Cut two cuts in the triangle pieces, two in the back and seat.  They slid in beautifully.  Thing is sturdy as hell, too.  I put my full weight on it at about 200-210 pounds and it didn’t wobble or buckle at all.

My sister loved it.  She cried, so that was cool.

TL;DR, I’m basically a carpenter now.  Have a new addiction at 32 years old.  Built my nephew a chair.  If 2020 has got you down, pick up a new hobby.  That **** brings all sorts of joy and happiness and a sense of accomplishment.

Good work.  Mortise and tenons are about the strongest joint there is.  It's a good joint to learn and if done right, can look very cool.  Probably my favorite joint for load bearing applications.

Also, nails are screws are for rookies.  I try to do every project without them (unless it's a quick and dirty shop project).  So good work!  You've moved to professional amateur status!

28 minutes ago, theJ said:

Also, nails are screws are for rookies.  I try to do every project without them (unless it's a quick and dirty shop project).  So good work!  You've moved to professional amateur status!

Home projects became so much easier for me when I stopped buying nails.

12 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I’m basically a carpenter now.  Have a new addiction at 32 years old

Reminds me of a book I read once. About a mid-30s carpenter and the influence he had on other people. Things didn't end well for him, I'd be careful if I were you.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@Outpost31 @theJ @Daniel I've also gotten super hooked on woodworking, but for me, getting those wood screws/kreg pocket screws in to grab onto the wood and pull it into place is one of the most satisfying portions of the job for me.

Oh I wouldn't call myself a woodwooker by any stretch, just a guy who's borderline competent with home improvement projects and lives in a fixer upper.

But yes, that piece of wood going flush is very satisfying.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

Just now, Daniel said:

Oh I wouldn't call myself a woodwooker by any stretch, just a guy who's borderline competent with home improvement projects and lives in a fixer upper.

I went from "borderline competent" to "fair/decent" during COVID, so I hear that!

54 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@Outpost31 @theJ @Daniel I've also gotten super hooked on woodworking, but for me, getting those wood screws/kreg pocket screws in to grab onto the wood and pull it into place is one of the most satisfying portions of the job for me.

I've never owned a kreg.  For sure a jig like that makes projects come together a lot quicker.  I won't demean anyone who chooses to do their projects that way.  I just like the satisfaction of putting together something with only strong joinery and wood glue, and knowing it will last.

Someday i'd like to get on the level of not needing wood glue at all.  Seeing furniture made 100 years ago with nothing but drawbores and wedges and dovetails is a thing of beauty.  

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Home projects became so much easier for me when I stopped buying nails.

I don't even know why nails are still a thing.  Screws >>>

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

I've never owned a kreg.  For sure a jig like that makes projects come together a lot quicker.  I won't demean anyone who chooses to do their projects that way.  I just like the satisfaction of putting together something with only strong joinery and wood glue, and knowing it will last.

10/10 would recommend. It's like $50 for the bit(s), drill, and plastic depth gig and drill.

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

Someday i'd like to get on the level of not needing wood glue at all.  Seeing furniture made 100 years ago with nothing but drawbores and wedges and dovetails is a thing of beauty.  

Those dudes were absolute artists. I have no idea where to even begin doing something like that...and they did it without power tools. Throw in custom Amish furniture and cabinetry, and that's just flat out amazing.

I'm a long way

3 hours ago, theJ said:

Good work.  Mortise and tenons are about the strongest joint there is.  It's a good joint to learn and if done right, can look very cool.  Probably my favorite joint for load bearing applications.

I'm a very long way from being able to make projects without screws and nails. I'd love to get there, hopefully I will, but that's a lot of tools I would need to make those kinds of cuts.  I made the chair with only a jigsaw.  I don't think what I did was mortise and tenon. 

03.jpg

This is the picture of the chair I made.  I don't know how to explain it I guess.  The two triangular base pieces I cut out a little bit at the top where the back slides in, and on the back I cut out a little bit, too, so they kinda scissor together. 

Edit: This is the picture that INSPIRED the chair I made.  Those are not the chairs I made. 

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

This is the picture of the chair I made.  I don't know how to explain it I guess.  The two triangular base pieces I cut out a little bit at the top where the back slides in, and on the back I cut out a little bit, too, so they kinda scissor together. 

I'd call it a lap joint.  Maybe there's a more specific name for it, but it falls in that family.  Still, that's a strong joint the way that's constructed.

You don't really need anything fancy to make a mortise and tenon.  A simple hand saw and chisel are all it takes.  Of course, if you have a table saw, band saw and mortising machine it can be easier/faster.  But the results aren't any better if you know what you're doing.  Just takes practice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Those dudes were absolute artists. I have no idea where to even begin doing something like that...and they did it without power tools. Throw in custom Amish furniture and cabinetry, and that's just flat out amazing.

They spent a lifetime perfecting that craft, and worked on it every day.  It's not something you or i can replicate doing it 3 hrs/week, that's for sure.

• Like 1