What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

I think I've found the best thing about teaching remotely during a pandemic.  Microsoft Education Suite goes off after my last class of the day... and I have scotch in my hand a minute later.  I'd get in trouble for keeping a bottle of scotch in my desk at school normally.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Invest in a smoker. I am not sure the maintenance in humid weather? To start though, treat it like a cast iron. Get it crazy hot and rub vegetable oil on it. Once youve seasoned it, I suggest you host @DaBoys, @ET80 and myself for a little party. Between all of us we will destroy a lot of beers and meat. 

Please refrain from talking about ET destroying someone's meat.  I don't need that mental image.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

You'd think they could figure out how to control wild fires a bit by now

I was thinking the same thing. Although strong winds could be a big issue. That said, I wonder why the west has so many wild fires vs a place like TX? Is TX just drier, less trees?  

We don't get them much in the north and I assumed because our soil is more wet  ?  It just seems strange that CA has so many....

14 hours ago, K9 said:

I was thinking the same thing. Although strong winds could be a big issue. That said, I wonder why the west has so many wild fires vs a place like TX? Is TX just drier, less trees?  

We don't get them much in the north and I assumed because our soil is more wet  ?  It just seems strange that CA has so many....

Most of California's fires are grass fires, at least in terms of where they start.  Strong winds (in SoCal they're affectionately known as the Santa Ana Winds) definitely play a part, but the grass that grows and is green in the spring is dry and dead come end of summer (particularly in valley regions) because of decreasing rainfalls, the salt air coming in on the condensation blown in from the coast actually doing more harm than good (salt is a diuretic, even in plants).  The term "rolling golden hills" has been one I've heard associated with California my entire life; that gold is because of the color of our dried, dying summer grasses.  The "bad forest management" argument doesn't hold water either - only 3% of California's forests are managed by the state, the rest is under Federal agency management.  But setting that aside, you could "rake" all of our forests and that would stop these fires.  Green wood burns just as much as dry wood does, it just smokes more heavily and takes more kindling to ignite.  But forests are filled with all lush trees, there are trees at various ages and states of health, same for the undergrowth (bushes, shrubbery, etc.), and leaves (which dry out and doesn't necessarily fall off the undergrowth as they do from trees) and those make fantastic kindling.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Most of California's fires are grass fires, at least in terms of where they start.  Strong winds (in SoCal they're affectionately known as the Santa Ana Winds) definitely play a part, but the grass that grows and is green in the spring is dry and dead come end of summer (particularly in valley regions) because of decreasing rainfalls, the salt air coming in on the condensation blown in from the coast actually doing more harm than good (salt is a diuretic, even in plants).  The term "rolling golden hills" has been one I've heard associated with California my entire life; that gold is because of the color of our dried, dying summer grasses.  The "bad forest management" argument doesn't hold water either - only 3% of California's forests are managed by the state, the rest is under Federal agency management.  But setting that aside, you could "rake" all of our forests and that would stop these fires.  Green wood burns just as much as dry wood does, it just smokes more heavily and takes more kindling to ignite.  But forests are filled with all lush trees, there are trees at various ages and states of health, same for the undergrowth (bushes, shrubbery, etc.), and leaves (which dry out and doesn't necessarily fall off the undergrowth as they do from trees) and those make fantastic kindling.

This ladies and gentleman, is a man who gets it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Then you look at the trees in most of the state, and there's generally only two types, oak and pine. Pine burns really easy, and oak burns really hot. Perfect combo to keep things moving.

• Like 3