What Are You Thinking About v.CC

LAWYERS!  I’ve got a question for you.

So here’s the situation:  about a year ago i bought a new house in a brand new housing development.  When we bought, prior to closing, we did a couple walk throughs with the construction site manager to spot any issues.  One such issue was the back yard.  They do sod in the front and seed in the back.  The back yard was spotty, patches missing grass altogether, and had tons of weeds.  We asked that they reseed it and fertilize for the weeds.  They said no issue and wrote it down on our checklist.  However, it’s was late November in Chicago then, so they said it would have to wait for the spring to roll around.

spring rolls around and i text/email the site manager a few times to see when we’d have our back yard taken care of.  Crickets.  After a few weeks, and one email to his supervisor, i finally get a response saying that he would submit a ticket to get our yard taken care of real soon.  That was on may 9th.  Summer comes and goes and my back yard is still crap.  I emailed/texted him four times over that span with no response.  

so i email his supervisor again, and then him again, and i finally got a response saying that it’s gotta wait until the spring......again.

so my question is essentially - what options do i realistically have?  Our warranty will expire at the end of this month.  There’s nothing keeping them from brushing me off again next spring/summer and leaving me in this exact situation again.  How do i keep them accountable?  This is a billion dollar builder, I’m not expecting to take them to court and come away victorious.  It’s be easier to just call a landscaper and pay for that instead of lawyer fees. 

disclaimer - i have reached out to the attorney i closed with and he’s going to look into it.  Any actual legal advice i take will be his.  I’m just asking here to get other perspectives on the situation.

2 hours ago, CBears019 said:

How do i keep them accountable?

You have to make it important and urgent for them, right now its neither
Meanwhile, you should get a 3rd party landscaper to come over, take pics and give you an estimate to fix the yard.
That way you have a professional opinion with a time/date/price on it. Good luck and hopefully one of the lawyers around here can advise

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

You have to make it important and urgent for them, right now its neither
Meanwhile, you should get a 3rd party landscaper to come over, take pics and give you an estimate to fix the yard.
That way you have a professional opinion with a time/date/price on it. Good luck and hopefully one of the lawyers around here can advise

Good call on getting the third party quote, i hadn’t thought of that.  I’ll have to do that ASAP while we’re still without snow.

2 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

the verb "to cop" infuriates me more than anything else. Beyond moronic. 

Absolute zero respect for anyone that ever says "I copped this", or "I want to cop that".

It's got to be British or Aussie slang?

Edited by Hunter2_1
15 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I think it’s all related to our term of “cop,” or police officer.  

If you “cop to” something, you’re admitting something.  If you “cop” something, you catch, or acquire it.  All terms, albeit loosely, related to objectives of law enforcement.

8 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

the verb "to cop" infuriates me more than anything else. Beyond moronic. 

Absolute zero respect for anyone that ever says "I copped this", or "I want to cop that".

Lol why? Just curious not trolling 

5 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

it means to procure something. Like if a new shoe comes out; “I’m gonna cop a pair of those new Jordan’s.” 

“I got lucky and copped the last PS5 at Target last night.”

33 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

I get irritated when people don’t pronounce the d in sandwich. 

Hearing sanwich or samwich is like nails on a chalkboard 

The hill I die on is "crayons".

It's not crans.

It's for *Bleep* sure certainly not crowns.

Tune in next week when I debate "Wash" or "Warsh"

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It's not crans.

Lol I moved to IN from WI and the majority here says crowns. Milk\Melk is bad too. 

33 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:
44 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It's not crans.

Lol I moved to IN from WI and the majority here says crowns.

@beekay414 @ramssuperbowl99 I demand an answer. Step carefully here. @Malfatron @squire12 don't think you're off the hook either.

I just found out that my director tanked my promotion last week after telling our calibration committee some inaccurate information after not giving me that same feedback when I asked for it 3 months ago.

I've went 5 years with pretty smooth sailing at this company and no complaints about co-workers, but this is the closest I've come to being actually pissed off at someone I work with.