What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

7 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

You guys seem to be good with life advice. So, I am approaching you :)

Wow. You seem optimistic. ;)

Fairly recently got let go from work (contract not renewed), so me and my partner moved back to her family home so she could start a business (florist). Her home is like an estate in the countryside. She comes from wealth, so everything was set up (I know, hella lucky). I went with her because I can contribute to the business, with things like digital marketing, analysis, outdoor work or whatever. In the meantime, I'd apply for roles which my masters degree geared me up for (Government stuff). 

Is she supportive of you still looking/figuring it out? How serious are you? When my (now wife) and I were engaged, I was a substitute teacher, the economy was tough, and I was applying for hundreds of jobs. I kept myself busy, earned my Masters degree, etc. She was VERY supportive. I ended up landing a rock solid job and love it, but it took a year and a half. Knowing that she had my back gave me a lot of peace.

7 months later, no luck on the job hunt (had like 6 interviews with no luck), and I'm still doing what I can - which is not that much, really. Business is steady, but she's really good at what she does. I make myself busy and do what I can, but I'm kind of wasting my degrees. It's a dilemma though because I like my life here, it's very laidback (especially for a city boy), and we don't really have any worries. Money is steady, but I'm not the materialist type at all.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but what exactly is the dilemma? Are you feeling pressure from yourself or from her? Do you feel emasculated since you're not earning "big boy money" since she comes from wealth? Can you clarify this a little bit? Maybe you're still trying to figure out where you stand and that's part of the problem?

What would you do.....appreciate what you have, continue to try and make the business into something big. OR, bail, go back to the city, and try and find a different path. Thanks :) 

For me, it's all about priorities, so you'll have to figure out yours and go from there/stick to them. I'll tell you what mine are and maybe that can answer your question/help you prioritize.

1. God

2. My immediate family (Wife, Kids)

3. My family (Parents, brother, sisters, etc.)

4. Work/Friends

5. Entertainment/Other

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Wow. You seem optimistic. ;)

Is she supportive of you still looking/figuring it out? How serious are you? When my (now wife) and I were engaged, I was a substitute teacher, the economy was tough, and I was applying for hundreds of jobs. I kept myself busy, earned my Masters degree, etc. She was VERY supportive. I ended up landing a rock solid job and love it, but it took a year and a half. Knowing that she had my back gave me a lot of peace.

Yeah, very supportive. Although appreciates the long distance thing would be hard. 

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but what exactly is the dilemma? Are you feeling pressure from yourself or from her? Do you feel emasculated since you're not earning "big boy money" since she comes from wealth? Can you clarify this a little bit? Maybe you're still trying to figure out where you stand and that's part of the problem?

Myself, only. I'm not bothered that she's from wealth, it's more - I feel like I should be making something of myself. 29 now, and have gone from one career to the next without nailing down one I like/want. 

For me, it's all about priorities, so you'll have to figure out yours and go from there/stick to them. I'll tell you what mine are and maybe that can answer your question/help you prioritize.

1. God

2. My immediate family (Wife, Kids)

3. My family (Parents, brother, sisters, etc.)

4. Work/Friends

5. Entertainment/Other

Yeah, that's a good point. I guess I have all that work out. It's a jumble, for me, with family/friends/entertainment/doing something I enjoy (finally). I know working in the city for mega corps, which I've done before, makes me unhappy. It's almost like happiness and slow lifestyle vs stressed but what I feel I ought to be doing. Hmm...

Yeah, that's a good point. I guess I have all that work out. It's a jumble, for me, with family/friends/entertainment/doing something I enjoy (finally). I know working in the city for mega corps, which I've done before, makes me unhappy. It's almost like happiness and slow lifestyle vs stressed but what I feel I ought to be doing. Hmm...

For me, I guess that decision would be a pretty simple one.

I LOVE my job, but I'd give it up in a heartbeat for the other things in that hierarchy of priorities.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NS922 said:

It's snowing down here, first time in a while.

Yup. Been over a decade since it snowed in Houston - I can't even remember when it last snowed. 2003, maybe? 2005?

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

You guys seem to be good with life advice. So, I am approaching you :)

Fairly recently got let go from work (contract not renewed), so me and my partner moved back to her family home so she could start a business (florist). Her home is like an estate in the countryside. She comes from wealth, so everything was set up (I know, hella lucky). I went with her because I can contribute to the business, with things like digital marketing, analysis, outdoor work or whatever. In the meantime, I'd apply for roles which my masters degree geared me up for (Government stuff). 

7 months later, no luck on the job hunt (had like 6 interviews with no luck), and I'm still doing what I can - which is not that much, really. Business is steady, but she's really good at what she does. I make myself busy and do what I can, but I'm kind of wasting my degrees. It's a dilemma though because I like my life here, it's very laidback (especially for a city boy), and we don't really have any worries. Money is steady, but I'm not the materialist type at all.

What would you do.....appreciate what you have, continue to try and make the business into something big. OR, bail, go back to the city, and try and find a different path. Thanks :) 

Sit down and write down what specifically you've been doing over the past 6 months. Include how much time you spent doing those things. Then take a look and assess honestly what you've been doing and whether you're heading in the right direction. If not, talk to your lady about it, and figure out a way to start making some changes.

If I were you, I'd see if you can start volunteering or volunteer more if you already are. It'll look good to employers as well.

15 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Yup. Been over a decade since it snowed in Houston - I can't even remember when it last snowed. 2003, maybe? 2005?

The last time it snowed in New Orleans was 2008. I heard some talk on the news yesterday about the potential of snow. I didn't really pay much attention, you never really expect snow around here. Then I wake up this morning and it actually was snowing outside.

Edited by NS922
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I make myself busy and do what I can, but I'm kind of wasting my degrees.

Are you wasting your degree, using it in a different way than you expected, or pushing yourself into doing something because you have a degree in it? 

Got to spend 3 weeks with my Son then had to ship out for work, going to be gone for a month.

This is A LOT harder than I thought it would be. I knew I would be bummed out by leaving, but it's been 2 days, and I'm legitimately thinking about changing my job to shoreside because maybe missing some of the most important things in my son's life is driving me insane.

Edited by Pats#1

2 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

Got to spend 3 weeks with my Son then had to ship out for work, going to be gone for a month.

This is A LOT harder than I thought it would be. I knew I would be bummed out by leaving, but it's been 2 days, and I'm legitimately thinking about changing my job to shoreside because maybe missing some of the most important things in my son's life is driving me insane.

i couldnt even imagine.

i leave for a week every couple months and thats rough

Anyone ever had charges on their credit card randomly disappear? I realized that I overpaid my CC bill today, but that didn't make sense because I paid exactly what it said. When I checked, I realized that the exact amount that I overpaid by (almost $200 in gas and groceries) were charges from a one to two hour window on a single day that randomly disappeared from my statement (they were pending when I paid it). Anyone know why that would happen?

8 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

It snowed yesterday here in West Texas, but I think that happens once or twice per year here (although, not normally at this time of the year).

3 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

Couldnt imagine.  I miss my boys when they they're at school for the day lol.

And it's not just what you're missing, but what he's missing.  There is no substitute for a father in a boy's life.

We all have to do what we have to do to put food on the table, but if you can switch maybe it's worth it. You won't get this time back and no one ever reflects back on their life reminiscing paychecks.

Iyam....fwiw....imho...etc...