What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

1 hour ago, Tyty said:

I was randomly thinking of the movie 21 and the question:

if you choose between four doors and have a probability of 25% of winning the grand prize behind a door and then a door is removed would you change your answer. And they say yes they would change their answer because the probability changed. I still don't understand why you would change doors at that point 

\https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem

This explains it well

Edited by MathMan

8 minutes ago, MathMan said:

because it goes from a 25% chance to a 33% percent chance.

I’m p drunk but I’m fairly certain the odds actually go to half of 75% for either of the two doors that you didn’t pick

2 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I’m p drunk but I’m fairly certain the odds actually go to half of 75% for either of the two doors that you didn’t pick

Yep, you are right.

Because the door you originally picked has to stay 25%, and the rest of the probability is split between the remaining 2 doors.

Edited by MathMan

26 minutes ago, MathMan said:

See I guess I just think psychologically and not mathematically. Cause to me it seems like the host is worried about me picking door one and wants me to switch to door two because he knows what's behind my door and the door he revealed. I don't think it's a question of probability at this point moreso a question of understanding the hosts intentions 

Just now, Tyty said:

See I guess I just think psychologically and not mathematically. Cause to me it seems like the host is worried about me picking door one and wants me to switch to door two because he knows what's behind my door and the door he revealed. I don't think it's a question of probability at this point moreso a question of understanding the hosts intentions 

but if the host always switches a door, it's always better to change because the odds improve.

If he isn't forced to open a door, well, it gets fuzzy.

18 minutes ago, MathMan said:

Yep, you are right.

Because the door you originally picked has to stay 25%, and the rest of the probability is split between the remaining 2 doors.

I forgot the actual question but it's 3 doors, one is revealed. Supposedly you have a 33% chance at the beginning but once the third door is revealed you can either stay at your door that has a 33% chance or flip to the other door which has jumped to 66% chance. I don't understand it all but I feel like I'd stick with door one anyway

Just now, MathMan said:

but if the host always switches a door, it's always better to change because the odds improve.

If he isn't forced to open a door, well, it gets fuzzy.

I guess we need to know more about this imaginary game show and it's tendencies 

Just now, Tyty said:

I forgot the actual question but it's 3 doors, one is revealed. Supposedly you have a 33% chance at the beginning but once the third door is revealed you can either stay at your door that has a 33% chance or flip to the other door which has jumped to 66% chance. I don't understand it all but I feel like I'd stick with door one anyway

Your door has a 33% chance, right?

All of the other doors combined have a 66% chance.

One of the other doors is opened. That doesn't change the fact that all the other doors besides yours have a 66% chance.

So its always good to switch to the one remaining.