Preseason Week 4: Redskins @ Ravens

turtle28

11 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Hand picked by Bruce Allen

I doubt that it was just all Bruce. Gruden has a big hand in what QBs we draft/sign, as does Doug. We should’ve kept Sudfeld last year. I remember ppl laughing at me because I thought that.

10 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

What has Bibbs done to earn a spot?

He’s been our best RB this preseason not named Peterson for one game, he’s a good receiver out of the backfield so he can be a back up for Thompson and he can play special teams and return kick offs.

13 carries, 106 yds, 8.2 avg

13 receptions (best on team) 119 yds, second highest receiving yards on the team in the preseason after Kirksy, a WR.

He runs well on outside zone, inside zone, duo, in between the tackles and off tackle. And, as I said before he can be CTs back up - which we need - and he’s a good special teams player.

If you don’t like what Bibbs did for us at the end of last year when he took over for CT and Cousins trusted him or if you don’t like what he’s done this preseason, you’re either trying too hard to not like a Redskins player who’s been one of our best this preseason or you just aren’t paying attention.

33 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

He’s been our best RB this preseason not named Peterson for one game, he’s a good receiver out of the backfield so he can be a back up for Thompson and he can play special teams and return kick offs.

13 carries, 106 yds, 8.2 avg

13 receptions (best on team) 119 yds, second highest receiving yards on the team in the preseason after Kirksy, a WR.

He runs well on outside zone, inside zone, duo, in between the tackles and off tackle. And, as I said before he can be CTs back up - which we need - and he’s a good special teams player.

If you don’t like what Bibbs did for us at the end of last year when he took over for CT and Cousins trusted him or if you don’t like what he’s done this preseason, you’re either trying too hard to not like a Redskins player who’s been one of our best this preseason or you just aren’t paying attention.

I must confess - he just didn't flash for me but those numbers you quoted are very impressive. Sure makes the cutdown tough !

4 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I must confess - he just didn't flash for me but those numbers you quoted are very impressive. Sure makes the cutdown tough !

Every time I watched him he was breaking off a run on something that Kelley or Perine would probably get tackled after a 1 or 2 yard gain or he was catching a pass. 

Hes a steady player, I agree he’s not too flashy, but it’s not like anyone we’d keep over him would be either.

11 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

What has Bibbs done to earn a spot?

I've been a Perine guy since the day we drafted him. He's looked better than Kelley running the ball since day one but he had a big fumbling issue. Last night, was a big night for him and he had an inexcusable fumble on a pretty routine play. He just hasn't been reliable for us. Bibbs on the other hand, has been our best RB this preseason (outside of AP gm3). He catches out of the back field with ease and picks up the blitz. He doesn't fumble and he doesn't get hurt. He has done his job and done his job well ever since we signed him last season. If anything, Bibbs has done more to earn a spot on this team than any of the running backs on this team not named Peterson. I know draft status and ceiling will probably get Perine on this team and Bibbs off it, but if I was picking the roster, Bibbs would be on it. 

46 minutes ago, SeanTaylorsaPIMP said:

I've been a Perine guy since the day we drafted him. He's looked better than Kelley running the ball since day one but he had a big fumbling issue. Last night, was a big night for him and he had an inexcusable fumble on a pretty routine play. He just hasn't been reliable for us. Bibbs on the other hand, has been our best RB this preseason (outside of AP gm3). He catches out of the back field with ease and picks up the blitz. He doesn't fumble and he doesn't get hurt. He has done his job and done his job well ever since we signed him last season. If anything, Bibbs has done more to earn a spot on this team than any of the running backs on this team not named Peterson. I know draft status and ceiling will probably get Perine on this team and Bibbs off it, but if I was picking the roster, Bibbs would be on it. 

I think they need Bibbs because they need another Thompson type back. Gruden has made it pretty clear this offseaon they are looking for two type of backs.

A first down/second down/short yardage  back and a 3rd down/pass catching back/scat back. 

The fact that Kelley Gruden showed well last night, he’s been catching the ball well and he doesn’t fumble I think he makes it over Perine and then Bibbs makes it as CT’s back up.

So it’s:

Peterson, Kelley

CT, Bibbs

Marshall will either be put in the practice squad or on IR. That way we can bring him up if we need to during the season.

IMO

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Perine is going to be one of those cuts we look back on in 3 years and wonder why the hell we cut him. If he gets cut of course. 

Maybe, maybe not. He has a fumbling problem, as did Matt Jones. Matt Jones was more talented, had more explosion and a hand full of good to great games his first two years but was cut because of his fumbling problem. It’s arguable to say we missed Matt Jones’s talent last year as a RB, but we definitely didn’t miss his fumbling. Jones continues to have a fumbling problem and will probably be cut from the Eagles because of it this weekend. The very same could continue to haunt Perine if we keep him, or if we cut him and he goes somewhere else. 

21 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Maybe, maybe not. He has a fumbling problem, as did Matt Jones. Matt Jones was more talented, had more explosion and a hand full of good to great games his first two years but was cut because of his fumbling problem. It’s arguable to say we missed Matt Jones’s talent last year as a RB, but we definitely didn’t miss his fumbling. Jones continues to have a fumbling problem and will probably be cut from the Eagles because of it this weekend. The very same could continue to haunt Perine if we keep him, or if we cut him and he goes somewhere else. 

Matt jones was a better athlete but I think Perine is a more talented football player than Jones.  I’ve never seen a rb with worse vision and feel for the game than Matt Jones.

20 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Matt jones was a better athlete but I think Perine is a more talented football player than Jones.  I’ve never seen a rb with worse vision and feel for the game than Matt Jones.

Perine and Kelley have poor vision too. Just look at Jones’s best games in 2015 and 2016, I like Perine but he wasn’t a game breaker - Matt Jones was. 

Let’s not forget, Jones had 123 yards on 19 carries (a 6.5 avg) and 2 TDs - one of which was a 39 yard TD run - in his second NFL game vs the Rams in 2015. He had 187 all purpose yards vs the Saints that year including a 78 yard TD reception on a screen pass. In 2016 he a good game vs Dallas which included a 14 yd TD run. Then, vs CLE he had 22 carries, 117 yds, a 5.3 avg, a long of 25 yards abd a TD. Then vs Philly he had 16 carries, 135 yds, an 8.4 avg, a long of 57 yds abd a TD.

We didn’t have anyone on our team that could do those things last year but Chris Thompson and this year only AD, CT and maybe Bibbs who could do it, certainly not Kelley or Perine. Matt Jones was talented, yes he didn’t always have the best vision, but he could be a game breaker. If he didn’t have a fumbling problem - and especially if McCloughan wasn't fired - he’d still be on our team.

23 hours ago, mike23md said:

The only thing I can tell you about Sims vs.Quick is that Sims has had a much better preseason and could actually be one of the surprises to make the roster. While he is really really raw, he has size and upside. Quick didnt show me much during the preseason and is likely to be cut. 

Definitely like Simms’ upside. Quick hasn’t shown anything. Was just hoping the last game didn’t really change anything

Archived