Rams @ Saints - GDT

Dome

1 hour ago, NS922 said:

He'd be better off trying out for another position.

I mean he’s a special teams player, and a good one. He’s probably more useful as a gadget/emergency QB than full time WR or something. I think he can develop into a decent backup QB long term.

NFL.com predicted he’d be named to the All-Pro team as a special teams ace this season lol. So I’m fine with how they’re using him, and like that they’re lettig him develop at QB while still utilizing him as an athlete 

Taysom Hill is Payton's snake in the grass. Everybody knows he's not going to play QB, right? But what is he going to play? It's not always tricks. Sometimes he blocks, sometimes he runs, sometimes he throws, sometimes he doesn't do anything. He's a great decoy that you MUST have a fast defender on or he'll toast you for a 40 yard run.

His speed is surprising. He doesn't look fast, yet last week he was clocked at 21mph on a scramble.

His deep ball last night to Meredith was on the money. So there's a new surprise defenses have to pay attention to. We haven't seen that yet from him. Well, now we have.

I like the kid. I'll point out what @Raves said to me about Bridgewater. Brees was horrid in his first few years too. Well, with Hill's size, speed... hell, everything, I think he's a keeper, and will be really good.

5 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Taysom Hill is Payton's snake in the grass. Everybody knows he's not going to play QB, right? But what is he going to play? It's not always tricks. Sometimes he blocks, sometimes he runs, sometimes he throws, sometimes he doesn't do anything. He's a great decoy that you MUST have a fast defender on or he'll toast you for a 40 yard run.

His speed is surprising. He doesn't look fast, yet last week he was clocked at 21mph on a scramble.

His deep ball last night to Meredith was on the money. So there's a new surprise defenses have to pay attention to. We haven't seen that yet from him. Well, now we have.

I like the kid. I'll point out what @Raves said to me about Bridgewater. Brees was horrid in his first few years too. Well, with Hill's size, speed... hell, everything, I think he's a keeper, and will be really good.

I like the idea of keeping Hill on the team, even if he isn't the QBOTF.  He's a great toy that as you said does a lot of unique things on the field, to include passing the football and I'm sure he can probably catch it as well.  This doesn't even take into account he's probably one of our best special team players, I mean how many times can you say your 3rd string QB/Go-Go Gadget is also a special teams ace that will lay people out, block punts, etc.

Now I think Teddy is more likely to become the QBOTF than Hill, just further along as a QB period than Hill (who is already 28) who has the tools but just having the tools aren't enough as we've seen with numerous top 10 busts, but Hill could still potentially have a future as a QB2 for the Saints.

26 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

How'd the rest of the team do, @Dome?

I heard our linebacking corps is not very impressive. Thoughts there?

28-0 speaks for itself, pretty much dominated both sides of the ball. 

QB: Hill is very exciting to watch, he's also very frustrating to watch at times, like when he attempted to dump a screen off to Jermon Bushrod in the 1st half. He needs.... refinement.

HB: Boston Scott looks impressive. His initial burst is very good, he can make people miss just with that alone. He should get a good role while Ingram is out and I think he'll prove he's worth keeping around as our RB3

WR: Meredith had a 50+ yard catch on a blown coverage and then Taysom threw him another for a TD later. Tre Smith continues to impress, he'll emerge as the clear WR2 very soon I think.

TE: Dan Arnold made the team with a great snag in triple coverage. He was already projected to be our TE3, but I think that sealed the deal.

OL: Peat looks out of shape and he's nursing an injury. He left in the 1st quarter with an injury last night, haven't heard anything since.

DL: This is where we look deepest. Davenport didn't show up in the stat sheet but he disrupted the pocket twice early from what I remember. He was quicker coming out of his stance, but he looks goofy as hell sometimes still. You can tell he's not totally comfortable with it. 

LB: Bend don't break is the mantra of our defense, but particularly our LBers. We opened up the game by allowing 3 rushes for 26 yards, but Davis had a nice stuff on a 1st down as the Rams approached the redzone and Anzalone picked off the pass (a leaping interception, with care to get the toes down in bounds) when they tried to make up the ground on 3rd.

CB: Arthur Maulet had a 15-yard personal foul on a punt return that gave the Rams a new set of downs, he was getting all kinds of daggers on the sidelines. He had a good camp, but he hasn't shown a lot in the games. Justin Hardee had a couple great pass breakups and he's a good special teams player, I think he might've just pushed Maulet out. 

S: We're a little thin here IMO. Vonn Bell played a little but didn't do anything too memorable. Don't remember seeing Coleman at all. Banjo played alright against 3rd/4th string guys.

8 minutes ago, Dome said:

Davenport didn't show up in the stat sheet but he disrupted the pocket twice early from what I remember. He was quicker coming out of his stance, but he looks goofy as hell sometimes still. You can tell he's not totally comfortable with it. 

I was just reading for typos but this stood out and I wanted to reiterate. 

He still looks really awkward. First defensive snap of the game Davenport took the stance of a young child squatting down to look at a bug they had just squished. It was one of the worst stances I've ever seen. Still looks strong as as hell and fluid on the field when he's moving, but getting in and out of that stance needs a LOT of work.

12 minutes ago, Dome said:

DL: This is where we look deepest. Davenport didn't show up in the stat sheet but he disrupted the pocket twice early from what I remember. He was quicker coming out of his stance, but he looks goofy as hell sometimes still. You can tell he's not totally comfortable with it. 

^^This simply made me laugh... out loud, actually. Not sure why, but it really struck me as funny.

Thanks for the rundown from the night!

Archived