I'll go on record....

muncher

2 hours ago, muncher said:

how do you know dobbs is a back up at best and rudolph is the future?

from what weve seen this year, dobbs has potetisl and rudolph should be cut or PS

Because I know who Dobbs is. If you think he's the next best thing you are wrong. He is a backup. If you want to keep him over Jones as a backup, great. I just feel the praise for him is getting overblown. 

9 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Because I know who Dobbs is. If you think he's the next best thing you are wrong. He is a backup. If you want to keep him over Jones as a backup, great. I just feel the praise for him is getting overblown. 

i never said he was the next best thing. what i know is landry has reached his potential and no other team sniffed him as a FA for starter or backup

landry is a career backup at best. dobbs? who knows

i would rather have 2 young guys competing for a starting job once ben is done instead of giving the job to rudolph regardless of how he plays

what if rudolph sucks? so the choices are rudolph sucking, landry being nothing more than a backup or drafting another qb hoping he is the savior

26 minutes ago, muncher said:

i never said he was the next best thing. what i know is landry has reached his potential and no other team sniffed him as a FA for starter or backup

landry is a career backup at best. dobbs? who knows

i would rather have 2 young guys competing for a starting job once ben is done instead of giving the job to rudolph regardless of how he plays

what if rudolph sucks? so the choices are rudolph sucking, landry being nothing more than a backup or drafting another qb hoping he is the savior

I didn't know this was a debate as to whether they should keep Dobbs or Jones. I thought it was about whether or not Dobbs was a future starter. He is not. Sure keep Dobbs because he is younger and has a higher ceiling. That's fine. But it's not a big deal to me either way because they are both backups.

29 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I would dump LJ because he has never thrown a pass beyond 15 yards in a game.  He is a dink-and-dunk WC offense kind of passer.  Not a fit for the Steeler offense.  Dobbs has shown he has an arm to at least try to throw it down field.

My standpoint in cutting Landry is that regardless of if he can or can’t thrown down field — the offense simply won’t be doing that whoever the backup is. 

The game plan will be 30 rushes if possible, 5-10 targets for Bell out of the backfield, a horizontal passing game, and set up deep shots bases on single coverage and play action.

It’s not rocket science. We are not turning Landry loose and going no huddle 5-wide run and gun. Landry is not more talented than Dobbs or Mason(this isn’t me saying either is a super talent)..he just has more experience, which carries a price. But that price isn’t worth the other side in my opinion. 

If we keep Landry, we don’t resign him in 2019. He will be too expensive as Mason will be the backup and there will be cheaper options. Keeping Landry also means a wasted 4th round pick last year and while we can try to recoup some of that, it’s most likely a 7th round pick, which is a loss of asset.

The best case scenario is Landry is moved for an asset instead of nothing, Dobbs stays, looks good again next offseason and you can ship him for an asset as well. The other option is lose Landry for nothing and lose Dobbs for significantly less value. Landry’s experience isn’t worth that IMO  

Dobbs most likely gets put on the PS and claimed by another team just as 43M said.  At the end of the season we'll lose Landry Jones to FA (hopefully, I'd hope he isn't resigned).  Then we'll have lost both of them for nothing, that's the Colbert way. 

Mason Rudolph has looked terrible in preseason, but to be fair it's his first taste of the NFL.  I'm not worried yet, but if he doesn't show major improvement next preseason, I'd probably start to view him as another wasted QB pick.

Archived