Former Eagles TE Brent Celek Retires

Danger

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/through-the-years-a-letter-from-brent-celek-to-the-fans

Eleven years later I was part of a team that won the first Super Bowl in Philadelphia history. It has been an amazing journey - a journey that is now coming to an end. It’s a big decision, but it’s not a tough one: Though I know I’m still capable of playing football at a high level, and though I had offers to continue my NFL career, my heart told me that this was the time. The bottom line was this: When I thought long and hard about the prospect of putting on another uniform, it just seemed wrong. In the end, I couldn’t do it. My career began, and ended, with the Philadelphia Eagles - and man, did we go out in style.

One of my favorites. Always reliable, always took a hit and 2 guys to tackle him. Made the most of his skills and should be really proud of his career and how he represented himself and us, as an Eagle. He’s a great Philly resident and I’m pretty sure this is his forever home now. If you made an All-Eagle team to represent how we want all Philly athletes to be he’d be the starting TE, hands down. Thanks, 87. Now go enjoy your retirement as a SB Champ! 

3 hours ago, DeSean Jackson said:

Thank god! Most average player of all time!

How quickly we forget his first 6 seasons. Was he an All-Pro? No. But dude was exactly the kind of athlete that Philly fans love. Gives his all, puts his body on the line, and super loyal.

Your post is super disrespectful, but whatever.

40 minutes ago, Danger said:

How quickly we forget his first 6 seasons. Was he an All-Pro? No. But dude was exactly the kind of athlete that Philly fans love. Gives his all, puts his body on the line, and super loyal.

Your post is super disrespectful, but whatever.

If you love average then sure! 

1 hour ago, DeSean Jackson said:

If you love average then sure! 

lol You don’t stay in the league for a decade if you’re average. Besides, for a guy that spent half his career as a blocking TE, there’s only 40 or so TEs with more receiving yards. That’s better than average. Disrespecting the guy for sure. And there’s no way to quantify his blocking but he’s been one of the best for 5 years running and has been an instrumental part of successful running offenses we’ve had. So, yea....not average at all. 

<3 Celek. Such a fun player to watch, represented Philly as good as any one. Shame he could never get a pro bowl, he had a few easily pro bowl caliber seasons where cards just didn't align. IIRC first good season he was just too slept on, and then the second really good year he had the NFC had ton of TEs with great numbers. Either way, can say for now* he is probably the most accomplished TE in franchise history. Glad he went out as a champ on his own terms and I hope we bring him on the staff some time in the future if he's interested.

Image result for zach ertz

Was obviously never the fastest, strongest or most athletic...but he put more heart into every catch he made than almost anybody I can remember. He would fight and claw for every inch he could get and still fall for a yard or two extra. You think of what we had before in LJ Smith and it was such a welcome change. He became a blocker when we needed that, he did everything and anything that was team needed him to.

The league will probably forget about him over time, but he was truly an Eagle through and through. And as for guys that were like that, he was one of the few I got to enjoy during his time.

He loved the city, he loved the team and he loved the fans. You saw that all the time when he played, and it was on full display after we won the championship...

Archived