Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Forge

Roster cut news

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

IMHO we "overpaid" for Bibbs, and he's gone.. We "overpaid" for WIlliams and he could be gone. I believe we overpaid for Juszczyk. He's really good and I love that he's on the team. But given what the market is for FBs I still think we overpaid. I said when we signed McK that I thought we overpaid for him. It remains to be seen if that turns out to be the case.

I love how we've built this team and what it's become in so short of a time. SO it's hard to criticize our FO. I do think that they tend to "fall in love" with certain guys to the extent that they are willing to overpay for them. Maybe that make sense given the rebuilding job they have to do. It just seems to me that running a team like that over the long term though will not be getting the most out of our money or our drarft picks.

I'll start criticizing these signings (the FA overpayments) once we struggle with the cap. But we aren't. To me, that's always just Jed's money, I don't care. We'll see what the front office is made of once they have to make tough financial decisions. In the meantime, I honestly don't care how much we overpay.

The trade ups for future cuts are worrisome. Overpaying early on while we have too much cap space doesn't hurt. But wasting draft capital does have an instant impact. Maybe they've learned from their mistakes. After all, they only traded up for Pettis because a was a sure-fire hall of famer...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I'll start criticizing these signings (the FA overpayments) once we struggle with the cap. But we aren't. To me, that's always just Jed's money, I don't care. We'll see what the front office is made of once they have to make tough financial decisions. In the meantime, I honestly don't care how much we overpay.

The trade ups for future cuts are worrisome. Overpaying early on while we have too much cap space doesn't hurt. But wasting draft capital does have an instant impact. Maybe they've learned from their mistakes. After all, they only traded up for Pettis because a was a sure-fire hall of famer...

That's the thing. I'm pretty sure that I've been one of the more (if not most) vocal opponents of what we have done in free agency, but for the most part, a lot of the deals are harmless. Could they bite us a little bit 3 or 4 years down the line? Absolutely (due to rollover considerations), but far too early for that to really be a major issue. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't understand the ins and outs of the cap well enough to know if overspending a bit now has a long term impact or not. And, I really understand,l and even appreciate, if they are in a hurry to get the kind of guys on board that SHanny thinks he needs to run his offense. I applaud that sense of urgency. It's just that it seems like we "overpaid" (in money or picks) for 4 RBs and we did spend two picks for Pettis (and I've expressed before how utterly opposed I am to giving up multiple picks to get your choice of guys that most folks think are indistinguishable). At some point I guess he'll have a nucleus of his kind of guys and then can be more slective and more cost effective with his additions ... hopefully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

This is great news for Richie James.

I think James makes the team but his competition is Burbridge and not Robinson. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think James makes the team but his competition is Burbridge and not Robinson. 

I disagree. I think James, Bourne, and Robinson were in a competition for two spots by the end of preseason. I think Burbridge is in a competition with Mostert. And probably didn't win. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

I disagree. I think James, Bourne, and Robinson were in a competition for two spots by the end of preseason. I think Burbridge is in a competition with Mostert. And probably didn't win. 

Both could be true. Say if Bourne was the 5th WR and Burbridge got the nod over Mosert, then they wouldn't keep James I don't think. He would then become the 7th WR. I didn't really consider Robinson as a real threat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Both could be true. Say if Bourne was the 5th WR and Burbridge got the nod over Mosert, then they wouldn't keep James I don't think. He would then become the 7th WR. I didn't really consider Robinson as a real threat. 

I see what you're saying, but that seems awfully similar to saying "If Mostert got the nod over Burbridge, then they wouldn't keep Morris as the 5th RB (with Juice) on the team." Special teams is special teams. Nelson rightfully doesn't impact the decision to keep 3 TEs, despite that being his position. He's a long snapper. 

Robinson is the only guy I was worried about in regards to James, because Robinson is the guy backing up the WR spots where James would also be the reserve, making him redundant. Burbridge doesn't play in those spots. Bourne would seem to have more to worry about in your scenario.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

I see what you're saying, but that seems awfully similar to saying "If Mostert got the nod over Burbridge, then they wouldn't keep Morris as the 5th RB (with Juice) on the team." Special teams is special teams. Nelson rightfully doesn't impact the decision to keep 3 TEs, despite that being his position. He's a long snapper. 

Robinson is the only guy I was worried about in regards to James, because Robinson is the guy backing up the WR spots where James would also be the reserve, making him redundant. Burbridge doesn't play in those spots. Bourne would seem to have more to worry about in your scenario.

I actually expect Mostert AND Morris to make the team though. So I could see four RBs plus Juice Check making the team. I could not see them going with seven WRs.

I never saw any beat writer at any point during camp predict Robinson making the team. I can be wrong, but the last slot was always between James and Burbridge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No surprise, he looked bad all preseason and was never good in the first place. 

So the OL will be looking like: Staley/Tomlinson/Richburg/Person/McGlinchey with Coleman/Gillam/Garnett as the back ups. Am I missing anyone? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Actually liked the signing when we made it. But Lee beat him out it looks like. Warner/Smith/Coyle/Lee until Foster returns. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

No surprise, he looked bad all preseason and was never good in the first place. 

So the OL will be looking like: Staley/Tomlinson/Richburg/Person/McGlinchey with Coleman/Gillam/Garnett as the back ups. Am I missing anyone? 

Could also just be because his contract became guaranteed in one of the next few days. 

 

Besides that Maiocco has reported Magnusson could take 6 to 8 weeks so could be that he will be on the 53 and they put him on IR the next day and pick Cooper back up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

 

Actually liked the signing when we made it. But Lee beat him out it looks like. Warner/Smith/Coyle/Lee until Foster returns. 

Actually expected more from him but can totally understand going Coyle and Lee over him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Could also just be because his contract became guaranteed in one of the next few days. 

 

Besides that Maiocco has reported Magnusson could take 6 to 8 weeks so could be that he will be on the 53 and they put him on IR the next day and pick Cooper back up.

Could be. But Cooper just hasn't looked healthy all camp and was bad in preseason. He already got his $2 million signing bonus at least. I'd guess he's not coming back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Now Maiocco is saying he may not have to go on IR. If not, then he can be the fourth back up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×