Path to 53 - Tracking All Redskins Cuts

Slappy Mc

Roster is currently at 72 (see link below). We have to be at 53 by Saturday. Post any cuts you know about or hear about here.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BenStandig/status/1035344110574624769?s=19

18 transactions reported
19 to go

• WR Shay Fields
  • LB Jerod Fernandez (First reported by Ben Standig, Sports Capitol DC)
  • WR Dan Williams (Standig) 
  • OL Kendall Calhoun 
  • TE Matt Flanagan (Standig)
  • TE J.P. Holtz
  • S Quin Blanding
  • LB Casanova McKinzy
  • OT John Kling
  • LB Vontae Diggs (Craig Hoffman, 106.7 The Fan)
  • OL Isaiah Williams (John Keim, ESPN)
  • LB Pete Robertson (Keim)
  • G Kyle Kalis
  • OL T.J. Clemmings (Keim)
  • CB Prince Charles Iowrah (Keim)
  • DL Jo Jo Wicker (Standig)
  • RB De’Veon Smith (Les Carpenter, Washington Post)
  • TE Garrett Hudson (Hoffman)

- John Keim is reporting Tyler Catalina had shoulder surgery for a torn labrum, so he's definitely not making the roster.  

- John Keim is also reporting he expects the Redskins to pick up a Guard and perhaps 4th TE after cuts from other teams.  

15 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

- John Keim is reporting Tyler Catalina had shoulder surgery for a torn labrum, so he's definitely not making the roster.  

- John Keim is also reporting he expects the Redskins to pick up a Guard and perhaps 4th TE after cuts from other teams.  

He also said possibly C B .. Don't see that one happening !

8 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

If they think they can sneak one of Stroman or Alexander onto the PS, I could see it. 

Any early leads on what guards could be available? I assume the 4th TE could spot play FB too.

We need a backup OG badly...

I heard a beat reporter on the radio say that the plan is that if Lauvao or Scherff go down, they'd move Roullier to G and push Bergstrom to C. Sounds like a horrifically bad idea to me as they had about 5 months to find a backup G and have been unable to do so.

I’m glad they’re realizing they need a guard, I totally agree with everyone else that the depth at G - and even starting LG - should’ve been upgraded 5 or 6 months ago. It boggles my mind it wasn’t, especially in the draft by taking Mason Cole instead of Christian in round 3 of the draft - who by the way will be the Cardinals starting C when we face them in week 1 and he’s been getting great reviews this preseason - and we have plenty of cap space to sign a better than vet min guard.

9 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

We have talented young corners but they struggled in coverage some and they’ve been lousy at tackling, we could use veteran, preferably a slot corner. Like Mike said, if they feel the can put Stroman on the practice squad, I can definitely see them signing a corner.

I can see why they may want one of the RBs from some teams if they’re cut and if they can be Thompson like, but I’m comfortable with Kelley or Perine as ADs back up and Bibbs as Thompson’s back up or Marshall if he’s healthy enough to play.

With a few exceptions (RB, WR, ILB, and a couple choices of what position to keep an extra guy at), it seems like there’s pretty much a consensus as to who will be on the 53 tomorrow.

But if I were looking to name a couple guys I think could be surprise cuts...

- Jeremy Sprinkle:  I think there’s a fair chance they keep 4 TEs, but if they have a roster crunch and want more blocking, I could see him getting the axe. Particularly if they’re looking at the draft next season as the source of the successor to VD.

- Maurice Harris: Okay, not actually cut. But put on PUP. If he’s not ready for Week 1, they could buy themselves time to delay the Sims/Quick decision by making Harris inactive for the first 6. By then, I’d wager a spot may well have opened up due to injury to another WR anyway. 

- Pernell McPhee: Hasn’t really made much noise this preseason. If they think he doesn’t provide too substantial an upgrade over Anderson and Robertson, particularly in terms of being able to duplicate McPhee’s more well-rounded game with Anderson on run downs and Robertson on pass downs, I could see them letting a veteran on a short-term deal go in order to open up a spot for another position. 

- SDH and/or JHC: I don’t think either of them are remotely ready for full-time duty, and the starters at ILB are both pretty fragile historically. I could see them keeping both Vigil and Spaight and letting one or both of the young initialed ILBs go. 

- One of the Va Tech rookie CBs: I think Danny Johnson has passed both for 4th on the CB depth chart. And if they aren’t comfortable with Everett/Apke as the only backup safeties, cutting one of the VT rookies would allow them to keep Ladler or sign a vet and still not have to carry 11 DBs. Would think Stroman would be most at risk, as he has less upside than Adonis and his ST value is somewhat usurped by Quinn appearing to emerge as a solid PR option. 

* I would have all these players on my projected final roster. I think most people do. But I think they’re the ones who could get cut that would actually raise a few eyebrows. 

47 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

@e16bball I don’t think you can PUP a player now.  They would have had to been on PUP before preseason started.

Good call, I didn’t know that. I figured since they have a preseason PUP list and a regular season PUP list, you could start fresh on the latter. But looks like you’re right, scratch that idea! ??

Archived