Packers Roster Cuts

Packerraymond

32 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I'm in on a Shane Ray or Dante Fowler Jr. I wouldn't give more than a 3rd for either of them though. Probably give a 3rd for either one, but would need to secure a longer term deal on Fowler, who I believe wasn't tendered with the 5th year option for next year. 

It'll be interesting over these next few days to see whether Gute is still trying to work out a splash trade. He may be a little on "tilt" after losing out on Mack. I think Gute may have been confident all along that we were going to make the best offer for him (i.e. that no other team would offer 2 No. 1s) and then a single team went ahead and did it, and we lost Mack because of it. I think deep down, Gute really wanted this to happen, while also promising not to overbid past, at most, our 2 No. 1s. He may be looking for a consolation prize...

Two weird things:

1. No fullback. I've been thinking all along that it's good to have a fullback for those late-season, bad weather games, but with most stadiums having some sort of artificial turf (even at Lambeau Field it's a blend of artificial and natural) maybe that's just not much of a factor anymore. You just don't see those "mud" games like you used to. Also, I wonder if maybe you just wait until later in the season to put a fullback on your roster. How else to explain why they have no fullback on their team but they signed Joe Kerridge to the practice squad? Unless, of course, they are planning on bringing Aaron Ripkowski back in the next couple days. But if they are planning on doing that, it seems pretty obnoxious for them to have cut him in the first place. 

2. Ahmad Thomas being asked to join the Packers' practice squad and then turned down. I have to think that this was misreported. He must have been asked by the Packers and then by the Colts, and he then chose the Colts. Like the Ripkowski, thing, this would also seem to be obnoxious if it's what the Packers really did. 

Kerridge is on the PS and theres some kind of talk that RIP may be brought back as well. So they'll be a FB available when and if GB ever gets nasty weather again :)

All this talk about Fowler and Ray.......is there / or has there been any reporting of either club looking to move either player? Or are we just picking a position and targeting a player we think could be had cheaply....if we were the GM?

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

Kerridge is on the PS and theres some kind of talk that RIP may be brought back as well. So they'll be a FB available when and if GB ever gets nasty weather again :)

All this talk about Fowler and Ray.......is there / or has there been any reporting of either club looking to move either player? Or are we just picking a position and targeting a player we think could be had cheaply....if we were the GM?

Fowler has been linked as being shopped, jets have been heavily linked to trading for him. Ray has been reported as a trade target as he has not developed and really isn’t part of Denver’s plans currently on defense. But there haven’t been any reports linking teams or Denver wanting to. It’s more just because he has been a disappointment and Denver is unlikely to resign.

1 minute ago, Green19 said:

Fowler has been linked as being shopped, jets have been heavily linked to trading for him. Ray has been reported as a trade target as he has not developed and really isn’t part of Denver’s plans currently on defense. But there haven’t been any reports linking teams or Denver wanting to. It’s more just because he has been a disappointment and Denver is unlikely to resign.

Thanks for that info.
Not really sure if Ray's been a washout that we need him on our roster. I mean - you'd think a pass rusher opposite Von Miller would be somewhat accomplished - even if he's getting credited for picking up Miller's scraps.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Thanks for that info.
Not really sure if Ray's been a washout that we need him on our roster. I mean - you'd think a pass rusher opposite Von Miller would be somewhat accomplished - even if he's getting credited for picking up Miller's scraps.

Shane Ray isn’t likely, at least in gb. It’s been well documented that he doesn’t meet gb’s athletic thresholds... they would rather promote Donnerson then sign ray. Donnerson has special phyiscal ability.

Ray does not.

i’d be surprise if they went that well... more so because it will cost a pick.

2 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Shane Ray isn’t likely, at least in gb. It’s been well documented that he doesn’t meet gb’s athletic thresholds... they would rather promote Donnerson then sign ray. Donnerson has special phyiscal ability. Ray does not. i’d be surprise if they went that well... more so because it will cost a pick.

Is Donnerson gonna be somebody? I mean the word is he's physically gifted and all - but do you think its going to come together in a big way - or we talking another Jayrone Elliott here?

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Is Donnerson gonna be somebody? I mean the word is he's physically gifted and all - but do you think its going to come together in a big way - or we talking another Jayrone Elliott here?

Honestly don’t know... but for his size he tested with like WR/CB numbers.

My point is that if gb is going to take a chance ... it’s going to be on that guy. Not an guy that isn’t special AND not productive.

They got Morrison because he at least is producing and fit a role they need.

13 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Honestly don’t know... but for his size he tested with like WR/CB numbers. My point is that if gb is going to take a chance ... it’s going to be on that guy. Not an guy that isn’t special AND not productive. They got Morrison because he at least is producing and fit a role they need.

Thats cool. I really wasnt building on the previous comments - just asking your opinion on Donnerson. I dont know much about the guy.

From JSOnline:
"Assuming there will be some tinkering with the roster this week, Gutekunst as of Sunday had added 19 players to the roster who were somewhere else last year. That’s a 35.8 percent turnover, which is a considerable jump from a nine-year average of 26.4 percent from 2011-17"

13 minutes ago, Leader said:

8 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Honestly don’t know... but for his size he tested with like WR/CB numbers.

My point is that if gb is going to take a chance ... it’s going to be on that guy. Not an guy that isn’t special AND not productive.

They got Morrison because he at least is producing and fit a role they need.

Yes, it's WAY too early to tell about Donnerson... he's a GREAT athlete, but when you turn on his college film, that's what you see, a big, mean, ATHLETE... as there was almost no technique, just line up and beat the guy with athletic ability. That doesn't work in the NFL, which is why he was basically (almost) undrafted, despite being an athletic freak for his size. But I thought it was a good sign that he plays mean.

The question is how serious does he take learning the technique and getting them down consistently, and how well does he develop... which there is no way for us on the outside to tell right now. But in the first preseason game, on ONE play... he showed GREAT technique and effort in that forced fumble play, getting the RB was very good work... but that was really the only play that popped out to me from him in the whole preseason. He's just raw and under developed. 

21 minutes ago, Leader said:

Thats cool. I really wasnt building on the previous comments - just asking your opinion on Donnerson. I dont know much about the guy.

From JSOnline:
"Assuming there will be some tinkering with the roster this week, Gutekunst as of Sunday had added 19 players to the roster who were somewhere else last year. That’s a 35.8 percent turnover, which is a considerable jump from a nine-year average of 26.4 percent from 2011-17"

My personal opinion is he has all tools. I guess it’s how bad he wants it. His physical ability won’t hold him back in the nfl.

From interviews he seems well grounded. So I’d bet on him. I wouldn’t be surprised if he is Gilbert in a year or two from now. Making a ton of plays next year in preseason but maybe still doesn’t make it and everyone going why isn’t he on the roster and we still wasting space on Fackrell haha.

It would not be a shock to me if the conversation with Rip was 'stick around GB; stay in shape , we may have you back by week 4 if you are still available.  The 8 WRs seems very heavy; maybe they move Cobb by week 3.  Injuries happen too; exit player x; enter Rip. Speaking of injuries...

RB Devante Mays, T Kyle Murphy and CB Quinten Rollins have been put on injured reserve. I read elsewhere that Rollins was going to get an injury settlement and basically be released.  The NFL changed the IR-return designation in 2017 so that teams are allowed to bring two players back from IR. Previously, the rule allowed just one player to return from the list. ... One constraint here is that a player must be on the 53-man roster in Week 1 to be eligible for the IR designation to return.  This would seem to mean none of the 3 above players would be eligible to return to the Packers.  So, basically for our #1 and #2 picks just a couple years ago, we only have Kizer to show for them.  

https://www.packers.com/video/gutekunst-breaks-down-the-packers-initial-53-man-roster

Interesting to hear Guti's take on things.  Some notes, if I'm recalling correctly:

1. Referred to Burks as "day to day", and as nothing very significant or enduring.    
  2. Said Light had a "solid" game vs KC, ascending, good upside, good bend, decent strength.  
  3. Notes that trade discussions, teams always ask about positions of depth.
  4. Made several references to running back being "fluid" and "evolving".  
  5. Mentioned Crawford was Woodson's nephew!  I didn't realize.  
  6. Talked pretty comfortably about Gilbert and Fackrell for OLB. 
  7. Oddly, referred to having two OLB on PS.  (Donnerson is the only one of the lists we've seen, unless he's calling Looney an OLB....)
  8. Fullback, again was vague, maybe "fluid".    
  9. WR answer, that it was quality; but again I though there was a reference to "fluid"? 
  10. Asked about IR.  Answer was vague, said everybody would be able to play "this season", but "we're working through a couple of things right now".  

Reading between the lines, I suspect that an IR for Kumerow, with an activation for Ripkowski, would explain all of his evasive "fluid" and "evolving" and "we're working through" comments? 

32 minutes ago, Beast said:

Yes, it's WAY too early to tell about Donnerson... he's a GREAT athlete, but when you turn on his college film, that's what you see, a big, mean, ATHLETE... as there was almost no technique, just line up and beat the guy with athletic ability. That doesn't work in the NFL, ...

My take is a little different. 

By my recall, his sack numbers in college were totally pedestrian.  His supposedly superior talent was not able to dominate even low-level college linemen.   Nor was he so effective that he had no reason to develop winning moves.  

So I'm doubtful that a guy who wasn't functionally athletic enough to win, nor smart and resourceful enough to develop moves that could win, is going to successfully do that against NFL guys. 

Archived