Packers Roster Cuts

Packerraymond

4 minutes ago, Cheech said:

I get it, but I wouldn't bet against EQ or MVS this year.  With what we have at TE, I think well see 2 TE sets on the majority of offensive snaps. We'll be fine at WR.

EDGE is the most concerning position to me. Not only do we only have 3 capable of setting the edge vs. the run, our 2 starters haven't seen 16 games since... 

I don't know when.

Edge has been in that boat since I don't know when. One more year. We can always add a Brooks if disaster strikes. Any available Edge worth anything is gonna be too expensive

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's not that we're talking fringe upgrade or not, it's pure numbers. You have two highly injury prone EDGE players. One gets hurt you are down to one backup. Upgrade or not the roster needs a 5th EDGE.

We won't necessarily have 5 active edge on game day though so unless your 5th is better than PS quality there isn't much difference having one on the 52 and having one on the PS.

2 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I think you guys are kidding yourself to think that the Waters move was a protection strategy.

It isn't fool proof, but there is some merit.  Atlanta cut their roster to 52 on Saturday.

If team X needs a 4th or 5th CB they are going to scour the waiver claims and put in for the best options out there.  If your guy is even comparable in talent to the next CB it would make sense to keep him off of the initial waiver wire.  

If Gute had no intentions of keeping Waters around (who very much looked like the 6th CB in camp) he would have cut him 2 days ago.

Just now, Stevein2012 said:

We won't necessarily have 5 active edge on game day though so unless your 5th is better than PS quality there isn't much difference having one on the 52 and having one on the PS.

Definitely will if the guy plays ST. With the way the roster in constructed you're going to have Boyle, a WR, a TE, Alex Light, an ILB and Raven Greene as gameday inactives. If the EDGE we pick up is better than that group (he better be) he'll probably suit up.

Just now, Cheech said:

It isn't fool proof, but there is some merit.  Atlanta cut their roster to 52 on Saturday.

If team X needs a 4th or 5th CB they are going to scour the waiver claims and put in for the best options out there.  If your guy is even comparable in talent to the next CB it would make sense to keep him off of the initial waiver wire.  

If Gute had no intentions of keeping Waters around (who very much looked like the 6th CB in camp) he would have cut him 2 days ago.

Keeping 52 is just dumb unless you know you are going to get the guy you want.

8 minutes ago, Cheech said:

I get it, but I wouldn't bet against EQ or MVS this year.  With what we have at TE, I think well see 2 TE sets on the majority of offensive snaps. We'll be fine at WR.

EDGE is the most concerning position to me. Not only do we only have 3 capable of setting the edge vs. the run, our 2 starters haven't seen 16 games since... 

I don't know when.

Thanks, Cheech. I forgot that Graham can play outside. With 4 TEs we have the depth for that. Now I'll fret over OLB and CB!

5 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Edge has been in that boat since I don't know when. One more year. We can always add a Brooks if disaster strikes. Any available Edge worth anything is gonna be too expensive

What does "worth anything" mean to you? 

To me, Jayrone Elliott is the definition of a guy who would fit just fine as a 4th or 5th edge option. 

He was an ace on ST's, was a solid player in run D and pass rush.

Archived