Packers Roster Cuts

Packerraymond

25 minutes ago, moretti19 said:

What really excites me is the athletes we are getting. It seemed like we were constantly smaller or slower than other teams. 

Iowa fan here.  (Take it all with a 2* grain of salt.)  

I like the concept, but you have to be careful. 

Take ILB for example.  Take one wrong step because of a bad read and you'll be using that 4.4 speed to chase a guy from behind instead of making the TFL.

Hyde and Hayward weren't numbers guys on the stopwatch.  But their #'s in the stat book are pretty darn impressive.  

and yes, I'm still pissed that Des King and Josey Jewell both fell to the 5th round.  

9 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

What he likely should have done is used FA for a corner and played Randall as the deep safety.  Dix and Burnett could have played closer to the LOS.

In my mind, having DB's lining in something other than their natural position was a trademark of Dom's tenure in GB.  It's like TT picked players with a specific skill set, and Dom went out of his way to use those players in a way that minimized their best traits.

I'm done with the retrospective. I was fine with the DR selection when made - because I dont follow college ball and accept the teams decisions - but my comment stands and represents viewing DRs skill for three years. I dont have to go back and relive or redo the draft to make an assessment on DR and the mistake it was putting him at boundary CB.

I saw it.

The first game of 2018 is in a couple days and DRs on another team.  I'm done looking in the rear view mirror. 

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

In my mind, having DB's lining in something other than their natural position was a trademark of Dom's tenure in GB.  It's like TT picked players with a specific skill set, and Dom went out of his way to use those players in a way that minimized their best traits.

"We felt fortunate that we were able to draft Damarious Randall that late," Thompson said. "We think he's a very versatile player. We'll probably line him up as a corner. But in Dom's system, those defensive backs are all over the place. It's hard to keep up with who's playing what."

So... Yes and no.  Ted absolutely made a projection with his first round pick.  He knew that he had HHCD and Burnett at safety and a hole at boundary CB.  

17 minutes ago, Leader said:

If the boards not dropping your way - you move up - or you select a better fit talent and fill the need via FA. The "He didnt have other options" concept is moot. The point is he misused a #1 selection on a player who was intended from the very beginning to be of immediate need and playing out of position. Thats not good decision making and it played out exactly as you;d expect.

DR showed good closing and ball hawking skill - exactly as you'd expect (or hope for) from a Safety - but he was challenged maintaining coverage on the boundary - and it was a boundary CB we needed - and didnt fill.

At the time he was drafted I thought Randall was a pick with a bit of inspiration behind it. He was a safety in college, but some scouts thought he was very fast (for a Safety), but a bit fragile for that role, and not an especially good tackler.

I thought the tackling issues were less important (if he was a CB) and so was the fragility (less big hits made), so he could be an absolute bargain with his greatest weaknesses masked by the position he played. It turned out he was not really a natural boundary corner, and, as it turned out, was probably best utilised as a nickel corner or a free safety.

Just now, Cheech said:

"We felt fortunate that we were able to draft Damarious Randall that late," Thompson said. "We think he's a very versatile player. We'll probably line him up as a corner. But in Dom's system, those defensive backs are all over the place. It's hard to keep up with who's playing what."

So... Yes and no.  

I think that quote speaks to the disconnect that occurred between Capers and Thompson.

It is such a chicken and egg thing-

Capers didn't look at Randall and move him to safety when it became apparent he was one dimensional, needing to play off man, but had outstanding range and break on the ball.

But Thompson never gave him the players that could take over at corner.  So who is at fault? Probably both.

Just now, Leader said:

Typically that makes no sense - but PLEASE dont bother explaining it.

You've been arguing about Randall and his role.  I've been arguing about Randall as a draft selection.  You're trying to argue something with me that I'm just not arguing.  I've consistently granted that Randall was used poorly and you keep trying to argue with me about something I'm not arguing.  Then instead of agreeing, you say you're done arguing while offering a final rebuttal to something I'm not even arguing because you can't even accept and admit that Randall was a good draft pick. 

You said you were fine with the Randall draft pick at the time, and then you go on a retrospective about how he was used poorly when that's not what's being argued.  So if you really want to be done with it, do you think, yes or no, that Randall was a good draft pick? 

Just now, Outpost31 said:

So if you really want to be done with it, do you think, yes or no, that Randall was a good draft pick? 

This should be AMAZINGLY obvious.

Its been clearly stated already.

No. It was a BAD draft pick.

We didnt need a Safety.

We had IMMEDIATE need for a boundary CB.

DR couldnt fill that need.

Hence - it was a misused #1 draft pick.

Done.

Any more questions on your part - read this again - and again if necessary until you understand it.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/darius-jackson?id=2556273

Predraft writeup on the new running back.  Basically writeup is superb pro-day measurables, ST prospect, and productive as a pass receiver.  But bad tape as RB.   (Lacks decision, bad vision, doesn't run hard, indecisive, etc..)

I'm very surprised, thought that spot was going to Ripkowski.  Wouldn't think a new guy would be an ideal emergency blitz-picker-upper, as good as Rip.  

Who knows, maybe they're still going to waive Light or Crawford and sign Ripkowski, too?   

Picked up 1 yard total in five exhibition carries, so wouldn't think that's what got him the job.  May have speed to get around the corner, though, which is NOT something that Ty, Williams, Jones, or Rip have.  

It would be kinda fun to have a good receiver and a speed-guy who could turn the corner once in a while as a back, or on a screen or checkdown?  

Most likely a 2-week tryout till Jones is back, and he'll never get a snap with the Packers?  

3 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Wonder how many times Kumerow has cursed himself for that dumb-*** somersault.

Packers better scout having the athletic ability to do the Lambeau Leap!  I hope his klutzout doing that doesn't induce management to tell all the other guys to stop doing the leap because it's unnecessary risk!  :)  

Just now, Leader said:

We had IMMEDIATE need for a boundary CB.

Two questions.  First, a precursor:

We had Sam Shields, Casey Hayward and Micah Hyde on the team when we drafted Randall. 
We had Daniels, Jones and Raji on the DL.

The next 12 players selected in that draft were:
Stephone Anthony, Malcolm Brown, Landon Collins, Donovan Smith, Mario Edwards, TJ Yeldon, Devin Smith, Preston Smith, Eddie Goldman, Dorial Green-Beckham, Devin Funchess, Jalen Collins

1. What if we just drafted best player available? 
2. Who should we have drafted instead of Randall? 

Archived