Packers Roster Cuts

Packerraymond

9 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

How about Michael Johnson from Cincinnati?  They released him just recently, and he’s only 31 years old.  Could be a situational pass rusher - was one of the best in the league a few years ago.

Nevermind - I just saw that he resigned with Cincy on a one year deal.  Dang.

Haha yeah they cut him then signed him back. I was curious there too.

I'm not worried about any position we've got right now.  I just want to see Gute do something different if a need arises.  If we lose a pass rusher for any time before the deadline, I want him to trade for one instead of signing an undrafted free agent.

7 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

And what's wrong with that? 

In what world is using facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation a bad way to argue a point? 

I don't understand why people get so upset about this. 

If somebody says Thompson sucks at drafting based on how many players are left on this team and I go back and show that, through facts of players that are still on this team, he's better than average, what in the hell is wrong with that? 

Essentially, I'm disliked because I use actual history, actual facts in my argument?  I'm the one who is crazy for saying that trends and NFL history can't be relied on to provide strong evidence for or against something? 

Why can't I use other teams?  If people can say Thompson sucks because only 1 player is left from the 2015 draft class (disregarding the fact that we were picking 30th and had very few high draft picks to begin with), why can't I compare him to other team's drafts?  Why can't I say that the Browns with 12 picks in that draft, including the 12th and 19th overall picks, have one player remaining from that draft? 

But you're forgetting the assumptions that act as the lenses through which the facts are viewed. Two people can look at the exact same set of facts and come to different conclusions because they bring different assumptions to the observation. This is called dialogical thinking. Both conclusions are logically valid. (As a debate tip, never argue the facts; argue the assumptions you're opponent is starting from!) Further, science is NEVER about truth. It is empirical, but every theory is just a statistical probability. Science is powerful because every theory is highly probable (as it conforms to the observations, i.e., facts). But remember those observations are highly theory laden to begin with. Always go back to the assumptions (the lenses) you and/or your opponent are using. Debate those. They are far more important than the facts.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

But you're forgetting the assumptions that act as the lenses through which the facts are viewed. Two people can look at the exact same set of facts and come to different conclusions because they bring different assumptions to the observation. This is called dialogical thinking. Both conclusions are logically valid. (As a debate tip, never argue the facts; argue the assumptions you're opponent is starting from!) Further, science is NEVER about truth. It is empirical, but every theory is just a statistical probability. Science is powerful because every theory is highly probable (as it conforms to the observations, i.e., facts). But remember those observations are highly theory laden to begin with. Always go back to the assumptions (the lenses) you and/or your opponent are using. Debate those. They are far more important than the facts.

It's not this complicated. 

Ted only brought us one SB with the GOAT QB, everything else since just seems like finding why that happened and looking for everything he did wrong that led to it. 

56 minutes ago, palmy50 said:

Love the Toomer sign! The numbers are a little off but Toomer is a great back of the roster get. 

I'd pass on Jackson. He's a much better athlete than football player. I don't care what they run if they can't see/find it.

I wonder if Akeem Judd realizes that he probably had a spot on the 53 had he not retired....I truly believe he would have made it, at least for a few weeks until Jones comes back, maybe even after that. 

2 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I've just read every cut on every NFL team Yuck!  Nothing out there at OLB or RB. Gute will have to trade a draft pick for OLB depth

Just for example, Nate Orchard and John Simon would be twice as good coming off the EDGE as Fackrell....and neither one is even that good. Not sure why we haven't looked there. Maybe waiting another week like others have suggested due to vested contracts. 

On 9/1/2018 at 4:19 PM, Mazrimiv said:

That sounds more like a long, tedious exercise.

Forgot to respond to this.  By my count, the Packers kept 4 UDFA on this year's 53 man roster with James Crawford, Alex Light, Raven Greene, and Tim Boyle.  The Vikings are carrying 4 UDFA with Holton Hill, Mike Boone, Roc Thomas, and Brandon Zylstra.  The Chicago Bears are carrying just one UDFA being Kevin Tolliver.  The Detroit Lions are carrying one UDFA which include Brandon Powell.  So we're in a similar boat to Minnesota, but not exponentially more than them.

10 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I've just read every cut on every NFL team Yuck!  Nothing out there at OLB or RB. Gute will have to trade a draft pick for OLB depth

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2018-nfl-roster-cuts-tracker-follow-along-as-all-32-teams-cut-down-to-their-final-53/

Because teams don't release quality pass rushers.  They are already few and far between.

16 minutes ago, Norm said:

It's not this complicated. 

Ted only brought us one SB with the GOAT QB, everything else since just seems like finding why that happened and looking for everything he did wrong that led to it. 

Since that bright flash of light, i don't read so well, but what world are you living in.  Ted brought us 5 super bowls with Aaron Rodgers.  

What is next?   Are you going to try and tell me that Kahlil Mack cost more than one first round pick, sheesh.

7 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I'm just looking for an upgrade to Fackrell didn't expect Von Miller to be available.

Go through the cuts and tell me about all the pass rushers who are CLEARLY better than Fackrell.  You just don’t find rotational pass rushers.  Even the Ahmad Brooks signing was an anomaly and that was fueled by the Niners wanting to save money.

Archived