Packers Roster Cuts

Packerraymond

12 hours ago, palmy50 said:

You like Landry in this new defense, Green19? Understand that there is soon to be a premium on power to speed vs speed to power. Guys like Perry and Gilbert were born to play in this defense. There's a reason why Beigel's second year leap looked to be backwards though. You better be damn physical on that edge for this thing to work! Every defense has their little in's and out's though, I guess.

I mean, it's not his bread and butter by any means, but I'd argue he showed it at Boston College.  He just didn't do it consistently.  Definitely one of those pass rushers who prefers to go around rather than through.

11 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Alexander the personality is just one of my favorite things.  If he was a couple inches taller...

Yeah, I mean, it's hard to argue that Landry's skillset didn't transfer right at this point. If he can't hold his EDGE though the Pack would be in major trouble. 

I'd argue there's very few EDGE who are strong run defenders as rookies, and those ones usually don't offer much as a pass rusher.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, it's not his bread and butter by any means, but I'd argue he showed it at Boston College.  He just didn't do it consistently.  Definitely one of those pass rushers who prefers to go around rather than through.

Which was my primary concern about Landry - I wasnt sold he'd be strong enough to muscle thru the better LTs and we've seen plenty of rushers getting pushed outside just enough to miss the mark......

On the flip side - I thought Davenport a slow, brute. Perhaps he'll develop - but @ 14? 

Hence I shot the gap and settled on Edmunds. Not a classic EDGE guy but oh how versatile he could be in the right D.......

Sigh.

Just now, Leader said:

Which was my primary concern about Landry - I wasnt sold he'd be strong enough to muscle thru the better LTs and we've seen plenty of rushers getting pushed outside just enough to miss the mark......

On the flip side - I thought Davenport a slow, brute. Perhaps he'll develop - but @ 14? 

Hence I shot the gap and settled on Edmunds. Not a classic EDGE guy but oh how versatile he could be in the right D.......

Sigh.

There's very few pass rushers in a given year that show both bend and power, and even fewer that consistently show it.  The only one I'd argue that did it this year was Chubb, and even then there were some that question his bend.  Some of that was probably due to prospect fatigue, but he wasn't the twitchiest pass rusher.  Davenport showed more power, but wasn't the bendiest of pass rushers.

14 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

There were too many holes to fill in one year. 

This year we patched up the defensive backfield, and it takes more time for them to get up to speed.  We are well positioned to fix the pass rush this next off season, and work on OT. 

We will be good this year, but this was a two year project and as fans we need to be patient.

I mean, it's a constant moving part.  A year from now, we might be complaining about other positions.  I mean, we still have uncertainty regarding the RT position especially if Bryan  Bulaga gets injured again.  The safety position even if the Packers re-sign HHCD seems to be on shaky ground, and probably need to improve our other safety position.  Right now, I see 3 positions that we're going to be focusing on in next year's draft: OT, EDGE, and S.  We could probably stand to improve other parts of the roster, but those seem to be the big ones.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, it's a constant moving part.  A year from now, we might be complaining about other positions.  I mean, we still have uncertainty regarding the RT position especially if Bryan  Bulaga gets injured again.  The safety position even if the Packers re-sign HHCD seems to be on shaky ground, and probably need to improve our other safety position.  Right now, I see 3 positions that we're going to be focusing on in next year's draft: OT, EDGE, and S.  We could probably stand to improve other parts of the roster, but those seem to be the big ones.

This is correct.

I'm hopeful a light of some kind goes on for Josh Jones because he was slated to fit into the Burnett/HHCD rotational change. So far he's looking more like a round two miss than a player we'll be able to count on. Its wayyyyyyyyyy early to decide he's a miss yet and hopefully the new DC / schemes will turn his trajectory around.

I was hopeful Madison would also contribute to our OL. His college tape looked like a hard nosed player. Perhaps he'll come back and be that guy. OT? Not too sure about that....but still. Good players are good to have around.

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'd argue there's very few EDGE who are strong run defenders as rookies, and those ones usually don't offer much as a pass rusher.

I wouldn't disagree so much but I don't think it'll ever be a plus for Landry either, he's just not a big guy.

It sure seems like Pettine wants to crash guys with his EDGE bros to get the ILBs and the slot guys coming in free against the RB's and then stunt off of that. Influence the QB to move out of the pocket in the direction he wants to have chase backers track em down. He's gotta be looking for the pigs he's had at his previous stops.

The backer next to the 5 tech would've been a solid spot for him but if he can't play OTB that kind've restricts his role there as well. I legitimately can't remember if he played in coverage much or not.

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I never said he couldn't do it. But trying to mold them into something their not is bad business. I'm pretty confident saying he was much higher on some boards than he was on Green Bay's. 

Archived