Cuts

jetfuel34

2 hours ago, ekill08x said:

In 2014 we went 4-12. Then we had a very fun 2015 season, and its been back to back 5-11 years. It legit took Mac until this past offseason to actually put together a legitimately better roster than in 14. Even still 6-10 is likely in 2018. 

Yes he got Sam Darnold, and honestly moving up when he did was actually a brilliant move, but those type of moves are way too few and far between. He stresses how important drafting is and that being his area of expertise. Hes been borderline embarrassing on draft day after the first round and has got insanely lucky with Williams, Adams and Darnold falling. The one year nobody fell he selected Darron Lee who graded out as the worst starting LB in football. 

Yeah Mac has some players starting, how many graded up even average last year? We were 5-11. We might win one more game this year. I love that we have Sam Darnold, but the drafting must be better or we wont ever be that force in the AFC East. LIsten man, I hope I am the one thats wrong here. We're all diehards, we all want to win, but in my eyes theres been a lot left to be desired.

Mac was under orders to go spend money and bring in Vets for a potential quick fix from Woody.  Idzik screwed the pooch and Woody needed to generate some excitement and bring back Revis.  Then since we were one win away from the playoffs, Mac could not break it up.  He broke it up and rebooted last year - so your logic on the 14 to today is missing that key piece.

Luck or not on guys "falling" - he picked Williams, Adams and Darnold in the 1st.  I would not give up on Lee yet as he is still very young.  Maye in the second was a great move too.  Has he missed on guys - Yup! But every GM does. Gotta give him his due.  He is moving the franchise in the right direction.  I am more concerned about Bowles then Mac frankly. 

23 hours ago, JetsFan15 said:

I am more concerned about Bowles then Mac frankly. 

Same here. A coach is suppose to produce with the talent at hand, and for a defensive-minded coach, our defense has been severely lackluster. I'm not expecting him to be the next Rex Ryan, but there's no reason our defense should be bottom tier.

16 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Same here. A coach is suppose to produce with the talent at hand, and for a defensive-minded coach, our defense has been severely lackluster. I'm not expecting him to be the next Rex Ryan, but there's no reason our defense should be bottom tier.

We were 18th in DVOA last year with no pass rushers and Mo Claiborne as our #1 CB.  I'd say Bowles did a fine job last year with that squad.  Mac and Bolwes both stand to improve for sure but lets not act like Bowles has the 200 Ravens defense ranked 12th in the league here.

On 9/3/2018 at 3:45 PM, JetsFan15 said:

Mac was under orders to go spend money and bring in Vets for a potential quick fix from Woody.  Idzik screwed the pooch and Woody needed to generate some excitement and bring back Revis.  Then since we were one win away from the playoffs, Mac could not break it up.  He broke it up and rebooted last year - so your logic on the 14 to today is missing that key piece.

Luck or not on guys "falling" - he picked Williams, Adams and Darnold in the 1st.  I would not give up on Lee yet as he is still very young.  Maye in the second was a great move too.  Has he missed on guys - Yup! But every GM does. Gotta give him his due.  He is moving the franchise in the right direction.  I am more concerned about Bowles then Mac frankly. 

Just like Mac was allegedly under orders to sign Revis and vets, Idzik was under orders to dump Revis. Our passing D went from 2nd in 2012 to 22nd in 2013 and 14th in 2014. I feel pretty confident in saying we would have been a better team if Revis had been here in those years. Idzik wasn’t a great GM but he was saddled with the previous regimes scouting dept and HC. His attempts to replace Revis were a total failure but  what I did like about him is that he apparently agreed with me that the OL is an important part of the offense and drafted 4 OL in his 2 years, or twice as many as Mac in 4 years. Sure they weren’t good but two of them plus 2 of his free agent OL are still on the team. 

I am also concerned about Bowles but hopefully his d will improve with the acquisition of a shut down corner

17 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

We were 18th in DVOA last year with no pass rushers and Mo Claiborne as our #1 CB.  I'd say Bowles did a fine job last year with that squad.  Mac and Bolwes both stand to improve for sure but lets not act like Bowles has the 200 Ravens defense ranked 12th in the league here.

He lost the locker room once already and had players visibly quit on the field - most of whom were on defense. This dude was supposed to be a defensive genius and is barely passing as average.

17 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Why haven’t we signed bailey yet? Kind of a no brainer and another god send falling into our laps. maybe something is actually up with him. 

His accuracy dropped off for 3 straight years I heard.  Sounds like he's not the same guy.

12 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

He lost the locker room once already and had players visibly quit on the field - most of whom were on defense. This dude was supposed to be a defensive genius and is barely passing as average.

We have very little talent on defense be honest.  Wilk quit, WIlliams was the only real threat on the DL, Lee still looked lost and Demario Davis was our best LB (who was a Browns cast off).  Our #1 CB was a oft injured cast off and our safeties were both rookies.  Our pass rush was lead by a guy with like 3 sacks not known for being a pass rusher.  He needs to do better but **** Lebeau and Rex could take this cast to a top 10 ranking.  We more talent in the pass rushing department in the worst way.  We upgrade the #1 CB which helps, our safeties have another year in this defense and we added some DL talent so let's see what he does this year.  

Add to the fact that we had one of the worst offenses in football last year and that doesn't exactly help the defense either.

If Darnold can push the offense to average that alone should help.

4 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

We have very little talent on defense be honest.  Wilk quit, WIlliams was the only real threat on the DL, Lee still looked lost and Demario Davis was our best LB (who was a Browns cast off).  Our #1 CB was a oft injured cast off and our safeties were both rookies.  Our pass rush was lead by a guy with like 3 sacks not known for being a pass rusher.  He needs to do better but **** Lebeau and Rex could take this cast to a top 10 ranking.  We more talent in the pass rushing department in the worst way.  We upgrade the #1 CB which helps, our safeties have another year in this defense and we added some DL talent so let's see what he does this year.  

Add to the fact that we had one of the worst offenses in football last year and that doesn't exactly help the defense either.

If Darnold can push the offense to average that alone should help.

Yeah, I'm not saying we were loaded with talent, but the point of being a great coach is that you don't need to be to make it work. He's just not that guy.

6 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

Yeah, I'm not saying we were loaded with talent, but the point of being a great coach is that you don't need to be to make it work. He's just not that guy.

How is an average to slightly below average defense not making it work though?  Again coupled with a bad offense having an average defense with not a lot of talent seems like he's doing a pretty decent job, no?

I don't agree for multiple reason that Bowles should magically make the Jets a top 10 defense.  BB is widely regarded as the best coach ever and his DC just got a HC job yet NE was one of the worst defenses in the NFL last year because they let all their talent walk.  They had a competent offense too unlike what the jets were working with last year.

Jets had the worst rushing attack last year (dead last in YPC).  NE was the best offense in football with a top 5 run game.  

I think you are highly overreacting to what Bowles did with this defense with little to no help.

45 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

How is an average to slightly below average defense not making it work though?  Again coupled with a bad offense having an average defense with not a lot of talent seems like he's doing a pretty decent job, no?

I don't agree for multiple reason that Bowles should magically make the Jets a top 10 defense.  BB is widely regarded as the best coach ever and his DC just got a HC job yet NE was one of the worst defenses in the NFL last year because they let all their talent walk.  They had a competent offense too unlike what the jets were working with last year.

Jets had the worst rushing attack last year (dead last in YPC).  NE was the best offense in football with a top 5 run game.  

I think you are highly overreacting to what Bowles did with this defense with little to no help.

When it comes to our defense on talent we are not average. We are very above average if not great talent wise. Johnson, Claiborne, Skrine, Adams and Maye is a top 10 secondary easily. Our DLine talent wise is top 10. Williamson and Lee should be top 15. It’s edge we have an issue at that’s it. Jenkins is actually a pretty good edge setter so it’s just oressiringbtye an that hoods us back. But strictly on talent we should I have a top 10 D. We will see. It’s offense where we are very short on talent compared to the rest of the league. And that’s bc we neglect it early in the draft every year.

55 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

When it comes to our defense on talent we are not average. We are very above average if not great talent wise. Johnson, Claiborne, Skrine, Adams and Maye is a top 10 secondary easily. Our DLine talent wise is top 10. Williamson and Lee should be top 15. It’s edge we have an issue at that’s it. Jenkins is actually a pretty good edge setter so it’s just oressiringbtye an that hoods us back. But strictly on talent we should I have a top 10 D. We will see. It’s offense where we are very short on talent compared to the rest of the league. And that’s bc we neglect it early in the draft every year.

I am not sold on Lee, by any stretch of the imagination. After two years he has shown very little. He still has big time trouble is pass coverage, can't get to the QB. His only good point is  his speed getting to the outside, to make tackles.

Archived