Motor City MoJo: Detroit Lion updates

SteelKing728

Lions DE Kerry Hyder expected to miss rest of season with Achilles injury

The Detroit Lions won a game, but all signs indicate they lost a defensive end for the season in the process. And that makes them sick to their stomach. 

The injury is a grave one for Detroit, which is now without all four of its top defensive ends. Ezekiel Ansah, Cornelius Washington and Armonty Bryant all sat out the preseason win with injuries. Ansah is still on the physically unable to perform list.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2017/08/lions_de_kerry_hyder_expected.html

Brutal luck for Hyder, who had 8 sacks last year and is still making only NFL minimum on a 1-year deal this year (he was a ERFA). If he'd gotten to play most of the season across from Ansah this year, he might have been in line for $5M AAV on a long-term deal. Instead, now his career will be in doubt. 

• 2 weeks later...

More details are emerging regarding Matthew Stafford‘s new contract with the Detroit Lions. According to Adam Schefter of ESPN.com, Stafford’s deal will pay him a $50 million signing bonus with a total of $92 million in guaranteed money.

The five-year contract extension has a total value of $135 million, per multiple reports. That gives the deal a new-money average of $27 million per year. The full value at the time of signing will be less than that. With Stafford due to make $16.5 million in 2017, the new six-year deal has a total value at signing of $25.25 million.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/29/report-matthew-stafford-deal-has-50-million-signing-bonus-92-million-guaranteed/

he had an enormous rookie contract too as i recall. the young man has really cashed out.

Edited by vike daddy

Stafford is a decent QB, but to me, he's not a "winning" QB.  I find it difficult to compare him to anyone from the past, since the game is so vastly different...and statistically they won't compare...but the most apt comparison to me is a guy like Steve Bartkowski...talented, and a pretty good QB, but not a winning QB.

And really, if it wasn't Detroit and their such poor history of QB play, they accept his okay play and inconsistency, because it's the best they've seen in 40 years.  Otherwise, most teams would have moved on 3 years ago with his injury history and inconsistency.  It's good for him and for them, because he has certainly made some strides...but I still don't view him as an upper echelon QB.  

Edited by disaacs

Laken Tomlinson was a bust for the Lions. Now the 49ers will hope they can get something out of him.

Tomlinson, a guard drafted by the Lions with the 28th overall pick in the 2015 NFL draft, has been traded to San Francisco for a 2019 fifth-round pick, according to NFL Media.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/31/lions-trade-former-first-round-pick-laken-tomlinson-to-49ers-for-fifth-round-pick/

Man, it seems that teams are bailing on 1st rd picks quick.  But, if I remember correctly, I didn't expect him to get drafted before the 3rd rd anyway, so it shouldn't come as all that much of a surprise that he wasn't going to worthy of using a 1st rd pick on.  

Edited by disaacs

I'm not sure I understand the "swing for fences" analogy in this instance, because taking a 3rd rd value in the 1st rd isn't a good move.  That's not much different than taking a 7th rd value in the 2nd rd, ala Tarvaris Jackson.  We saw how that one panned out.  

• Like 1

We didn't use the 1st round selection on him, so I don't understand your point there. Trading a 5th round pick, even if he ends up a back up,  wouldn't have been the end of the world in my opinion. I don't have anything against this strategy and it is something I hope the Vikings consider. Perhaps they do and don't pull the trigger, we'll never know. 

39 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

We didn't use the 1st round selection on him, so I don't understand your point there. Trading a 5th round pick, even if he ends up a back up,  wouldn't have been the end of the world in my opinion. I don't have anything against this strategy and it is something I hope the Vikings consider. Perhaps they do and don't pull the trigger, we'll never know. 

My point is that I didn't understand what you meant by "swing for the fences".  Taking a 3rd rd talent in the 1st rd isn't a swing for the fences move...it's a rather dumb move.  A swing for the fences move is taking a highly talented guy with character issues in the 1st round.  

Edited by disaacs

So remove the swing for the fences part from my statement and it becomes "Sometimes I wish these were the moves the Vikes would occasionally look to make." Again the Vikes didn't take him in the 1st round, Detroit did I don't understand how that is relevant. Even giving up a 5th round pick for a 3rd round talent would seem logical to me.  

The Lions cut safety Alex Carter on Friday, according to Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press.

Carter was the Lions’ third-round pick in 2015. His release follows the team’s trade of Laken Tomlinson, a first-round pick in 2015, to the 49ers on Thursday. The Lions have only three players remaining from Martin Mayhew’s final draft as General Manager and only 13 total draft picks from his eight drafts.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/01/lions-cut-former-third-round-pick-alex-carter/