Motor City MoJo: Detroit Lion updates

SteelKing728

• 3 weeks later...

Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford and his wife Kelly are giving back to their alma mater. The Staffords announced a $1.5 million pledge to the University of Georgia. Matthew Stafford was at Georgia from 2006 to 2008 and Kelly Stafford was a cheerleader at the school.

“Kelly and I have thought a lot about how we can improve our society and make a meaningful impact on the current social situation. Each and every time, we came back to education, and there’s no better place to create that kind of positive change than UGA,” Matthew Stafford said in a statement. “When we learned more about this program and others across campus, we were happy to lend our support.”

The gift includes a previously announced $350,000 donation to endow a social justice program in the athletic department, creates two Georgia Commitment Scholarships, helps with facility improvements and addresses several other areas.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/08/21/matthew-and-kelly-stafford-pledge-1-5-million-to-the-university-of-georgia/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Never forget (to laugh) that Detroit fired Jim Caldwell, who had 3 out of 4 winning seasons, a .563 winning percentage, and lead the Lions to two playoff appearances, for Matt Patricia. 

A cautionary tale for those who want to get rid of Zimmer.

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Never forget (to laugh) that Detroit fired Jim Caldwell, who had 3 out of 4 winning seasons, a .563 winning percentage, and lead the Lions to two playoff appearances, for Matt Patricia. 

A cautionary tale for those who want to get rid of Zimmer.

Or should teams be looking to hire offensive minded head coaches instead?

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Or should teams be looking to hire offensive minded head coaches instead?

If there might be an advantage to hiring offensive-minded coaches, could it be due to both the OC and the HC contributing to the QB's development?  All else being equal of course, which it never is.

1 hour ago, perrynoid said:

If there might be an advantage to hiring offensive-minded coaches, could it be due to both the OC and the HC contributing to the QB's development?  All else being equal of course, which it never is.

I think the only real advantage in hiring an offensive minded head coach is that you’re less likely going to have much turnover in your coaching staff. Providing that the staff is successful. 

13 hours ago, vike daddy said:

what was his failing?

First and foremost, I’d say lack of leadership. Given the numerous reports that have come out of Detroit during his tenure, from day one it seemed as if the players never bought into what Patricia was about. He went in with the “my way or the highway” mentality that seemed to alienate his players.

But I believe the biggest failing was Bob Quinn firing Jim Caldwell. That created a no win situation for any coach walking into that locker room. 

It was very odd that Detroit basically said that Caldwell wasn’t doing well enough, but instead of finding a coach/coaching staff that was going to build off of Caldwell’s success, maybe help the team take the next step. They chose a path to basically scrap Caldwell’s progress and start from scratch, like they were taking over a bottom 5 team. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

It's pretty amazing to me that the Belichick coaching tree is pretty much a disaster...Charlie Weiss, Romeo Crennel, Josh McDaniels, Bill O'Brian and Matt Patricia. I guess the Patriot way is non-transferable.