Motor City MoJo: Detroit Lion updates

SteelKing728

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Former Detroit Lions tight end Brandon Pettigrew appears to be in legal trouble.

Pettigrew, who played for the Lions from 2009-2015, was arrested Monday in Pittsburgh after police said he punched an officer in the chest three times, according to a report from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

According to a public court summary viewed by the Free Press, Pettigrew was charged with two counts of aggravated assault, theft of services and public drunkenness. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for July 18.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2018/07/09/detroit-lions-brandon-pettigrew-arrested/768792002/

I think he was on Carson Street in the South Side. A lot of trouble happens there over night usually.

With Detroit among the possibilities for an MLS expansion team in 2020, the Lions are looking at ways they can make Ford Field work for soccer. And that includes the possibility of retrofitting their stadium with a retractable roof.

Lions team president Rod Wood said during an interview on WJR-AM that they’re looking at their options, since MLS teams have to play outdoors and teams prefer grass surfaces. He said he’s discussing the project with NBA owner Dan Gilbert and his group which is bidding for the Detroit franchise, along with local basketball executive Arm Tellem.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/17/lions-looking-at-possibility-of-retractable-roof/

Lions defensive end Ziggy Ansah will open camp on the physically unable to perform list.

The team made the announcement on Tuesday afternoon with camp set to open on Thursday. They did not specify a particular injury that’s troubling Ansah, but he dealt with back, ankle and knee issues at points during the last two seasons and had a knee procedure this offseason. Ansah did not sign a long-term deal with the Lions after receiving the franchise tag this offseason, but he has signed the tender to guarantee his $17.143 million salary for the season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/24/lions-place-ziggy-ansah-on-pup-list-sign-freddie-bishop/

5 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Would be a big blow for them and their pass rush if he starts the season on the PUP. I can't believe he is 29 already.

There's a rumor that Ansah's actually a year or two older than his stated age, which would make him basically the same age as Griffen (who's listed officially as 17 months older). 

26 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

More DL depth for the Lions, but he's not replacing Ansah.

He was terrible with the Packers last year and cut him twice.  For a bad defense to do that, it tells you about where he's at in his career.  He's a non-factor.  

• Like 1

Still the best RB I've ever seen in my lifetime (I can't speak for Jim Brown).  The Lions basically wasted his brilliant career by never being able to get a real QB or a consistent defense (they were a good defense at times, but not consistently good).  It was clearly the best era of Lions football in probably 60 years.  And the current bunch has largely underachieved, despite actually having a decent QB.  

• 2 weeks later...