Motor City MoJo: Detroit Lion updates

SteelKing728

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Stafford now has five career games with at least four interceptions, the most of any quarterback in the NFL since he entered the league in 2009.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/11/matt-stafford-has-an-nfl-high-five-games-with-four-interceptions-since-2009/

Could have easily been 5, this was ruled incomplete without a review:

On 2018-09-01 at 11:26 PM, Krauser said:

I think the Lions are in a tough spot this year.

Lions seem very likely to end up last in the division. Wouldn't be surprised if they only won 5-6 games this year. 

I had the Lions dropping off this year even if Stafford played well, and with Slay, Zettel and Robinson on defense. Stafford looked bad last night and hurt his knee, Slay suffered a concussion (though he since tweeted that he’s fine), Zettel was released and Robinson was a healthy scratch.

Result was a blowout home loss to a Jets team that most people don’t expect to contend. The score would’ve been even less flattering to Detroit if Darnold hadn’t gifted Quandre Diggs a pick 6 on his first throw. 

Lions next 4 games are @ SF, home to NE, @ DAL and home to GB. If Matt Patricia doesn’t get that defense sorted out in a hurry, they’re going to start 1-4 or 0-5. 

Edited by Krauser

4 hours ago, TENINCH said:

So do the Browns have top waiver claim priority all season?

Generally, the answer to your question is "no, the team that finished last year does not have top waiver claim priority all season". Of this, I am certain.

The answer to your next question I am not 100% certain but it is either after week three or week four that waiver order is determined by the standings this year. I believe It is after week three but I wouldn't be super surprised to learn that it is after week four. I am pretty confident that by after week four for sure waiver order is determined by the standings for this year.

So, it is possible that the Browns will have top waiver claim priority all year since they had the worst record last year but it would require them holding the bottom of the standings throughout this year too. Their tie will hurt the chances of this happening. It would require no teams being winless (ignoring further ties) pretty early in the season -- perhaps week 4 but I think week 3.

The Browns worked hard last year to go coast to coast with top waiver priority. I don't know how frequent a team pulls of the "feat". 

Late Add:

I saw Klomp reference a Cincy Jungle article below with some information. I am not one that would assume something written in Cincy Jungle is correct, especially since they didn't cite a source for the information, so I went ahead and looked it up for fear of Cincy Jungle spreading rumors. It turned out they were correct. Here is the relevant text from the NFL Operations Department:

Once a club waives a player, the 31 other clubs either file a claim to obtain him or they waive their chance to do so (thus the origin of the term “waiver”). Clubs are assigned players on a priority basis. From the first business day after the Super Bowl until the day after the third regular season week, assignments are based on a claiming order that is the same as the order in which clubs selected in that year’s Draft. From the beginning of the fourth regular season weekend through the Super Bowl, assignments are based on the inverse order of their win-loss record. For example, a team with fewer wins will be awarded a player off waivers ahead of a team with a better record. If a player passes through waivers unclaimed, he becomes a free agent.

Edited by Cearbhall
Late Add
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Generally, the answer to your question is "no, the team that finished last year does not have top waiver claim priority all season". Of this, I am certain.

The answer to your next question I am not 100% certain but it is either after week three or week four that waiver order is determined by the standings this year. I believe It is after week three but I wouldn't be super surprised to learn that it is after week four. I am pretty confident that by after week four for sure waiver order is determined by the standings for this year.

So, it is possible that the Browns will have top waiver claim priority all year since they had the worst record last year but it would require them holding the bottom of the standings throughout this year too. Their tie will hurt the chances of this happening. It would require no teams being winless (ignoring further ties) pretty early in the season -- perhaps week 4 but I think week 3.

The Browns worked hard last year to go coast to coast with top waiver priority. I don't know how frequent a team pulls of the "feat". 

During the offseason and during roster cuts, the waiver wire order is the same as the NFL draft order (not including trades). After Week 3 of the regular season, the order turns to the standings around the league as the team with the worst record gets first priority on the waiver wire and the team with the best record gets last priority.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/9/1/17805562/nfl-cuts-2018-explaining-how-waiver-wire-works-claiming-order

Lions gave up 30 to the Niners after allowing 48 to the Jets. They're tied with the Bills for most points allowed after facing Darnold and Garoppolo, 2 QBs with less than 10 games starting experience between them. 

Stafford has 99 pass attempts in 2 games despite missing some of the Jets game. That's on pace for 792 in a full season. Only one QB has ever had more than 700, Stafford himself with 727 in 2012 (next most is Bledsoe with 691 in 1994). 

Adding in Cassel's 6 attempts in week one, the Lions are on pace for a breathtaking 840 pass attempts this year. 

Frank Ragnow is now PFF's lowest graded OL in pass blocking, and the 3rd lowest graded OL in overall grade (worst is another if-only-we'd-drafted-him, Chargers guard Dan Feeney).

No idea what happened to Ragnow, he was good in the preseason.

Matt Patricia screwed up time management before halftime vs SF: 

...and the story has a punchline: 

On deck: Patriots, @ Cowboys, Packers, and then @ the (surprisingly good so far) Dolphins after the bye. Could easily end up 2-4 or 1-5 by mid-October. 

Edited by Krauser

The Patriots and Lions nearly pulled off a trade that would have sent Rob Gronkowski to Detroit — until Gronk put the kibosh on it.

That’s the word from Adam Schefter of ESPN, who reports that the teams nearly completed the traded during draft week. The problem was, Gronkowski refused to take calls from the Lions and put out word that he would retire rather than go to Detroit. Because of that, the trade was canceled.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/23/report-lions-tried-to-trade-for-rob-gronkowski-who-threatened-to-retire/

• 4 weeks later...

The Lions’ franchise player has barely played in the first half of the season. Detroit announced that defensive end Ezekiel Ansah will not play today in Miami. Ansah suffered a shoulder injury in Week One and hasn’t played since.

The Lions put the franchise tag on Ansah this offseason, and Ansah signed it, guaranteeing him a $17.143 million base salary this season. Through seven weeks, Ansah has made $7.059 million and played 21 snaps. There’s been no word on how much longer the Lions expect Ansah to be out, but he reportedly is getting better and could return next week.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/21/lions-rule-out-ziggy-ansah/