Motor City MoJo: Detroit Lion updates

SteelKing728

• 2 weeks later...

The bad injury news continued for the Lions as backup quarterback Tom Savage was slammed to the turf on back-to-back plays, getting his helmet slammed to the turf on the second, and went to the locker room to get checked for a head injury. Savage has been the clear signal-caller in line to backup Matthew Stafford and made some nice anticipation throws before exiting.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001040322/article/what-we-learned-from-thursdays-preseason-games

The Lions finally will be getting at practice their biggest free-agent acquisition. Former Patriots defensive lineman Trey Flowers has been activated from the Physically Unable to Perform list, the team announced on Saturday.

Flowers signed a five-year, $90 million deal to make the leap from the Patriots to the Lions. He had a minor shoulder procedure after the Super Bowl, which apparently wasn’t that minor after all.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/10/lions-activate-trey-flowers-from-pup-list/

• 2 weeks later...

Sucks for the Lions, Jarrad Davis is a great player and Frank Ragnow is a local MN kid who could be a starter.  Big losses to injuries for them but they might not be out for the season but will be for awhile.  Davis had injury issues on and off and Florida and those have seemed to carry over to the NFL as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Seven spots after the Cardinals drafted a QB out of Oklahoma, the Lions selected a tight end out of Iowa. T.J. Hockenson was the 2019 first-round pick who put on the most impressive show in Arizona on Sunday and turned in one of the best days for a rookie across the board. Hauling in six passes from another former No. 1 overall pick -- Matthew Stafford -- Hockenson had 131 yards receiving, which is the most for any rookie tight end in his first game. Unfortunately, the first touchdown of Hockenson's career -- a 23-yarder -- was the last of the day for the Lions. It's likely Hockenson's impressive debut could be a forgotten footnote to a Lions collapse that gave way to a memorable showing from Murray. However, the Lions have a new weapon, a beast over the middle and a possible star at his position.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001052213/article/what-we-learned-from-sundays-week-1-games

• Like 1

While I do expect Hockenson to be pretty good, I expect last week to be an aberration for the rest of the year...the Cardinals are severely lacking in talent on the defense.  They have Suggs and Jones, but they don't have a lot of young talent.  When you have Tramaine Brock as one of your starting corners (yes, I know that he's only replacing Patrick Peterson for a few games), you know you're in trouble.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So after 3 weeks, what's our verdict on these Lions? I thought after they blew the big lead on the Cardinals and found themselves with a tie that they were going to be another footnote to the season, but having beat the Chargers and now the Eagles... are they really that improved, and are they that much more of a serious threat?

8 minutes ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

So after 3 weeks, what's our verdict on these Lions? I thought after they blew the big lead on the Cardinals and found themselves with a tie that they were going to be another footnote to the season, but having beat the Chargers and now the Eagles... are they really that improved, and are they that much more of a serious threat?

In the end, they still won't be a threat, but they are improved.  If they are to make a playoff run, it appears that it's going to have to be just like the 2016 year when they had to win a lot of close games.  But, their next 3 games are against the Chiefs, at Lambeau and vs. the Vikings.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose all 3.  They are going to be a 6-9-1 or 7-8-1 team.  

45 minutes ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

I said preseason that they could win 8-9 games. Still think that's about right. 

34 minutes ago, swede700 said:

They are going to be a 6-9-1 or 7-8-1 team.  

Lions only finish 6-9-1 if they go 4-9 over their last 13 -- which would be a 5-11 pace for a full season.

They have 7 home games left, and all 6 division games. They still get to play NYG, WAS, TB, DEN, and OAK. Their only tough out-of-division matchups are KC and DAL, both at home. 

They're a solid team. More likely they're in the wildcard race than finishing below .500. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Krauser said:

I said preseason that they could win 8-9 games. Still think that's about right. 

Lions only finish 6-9-1 if they go 4-9 over their last 13 -- which would be a 5-11 pace for a full season.

They have 7 home games left, and all 6 division games. They still get to play NYG, WAS, TB, DEN, and OAK. Their only tough out-of-division matchups are KC and DAL, both at home. 

They're a solid team. More likely they're in the wildcard race than finishing below .500. 

I think some of those teams are going to be better than what they are now, especially the Giants...it's possible that the Giants could be getting Barkley back the week they play and they'll be going to Washington and Denver (of course, the Broncos may have checked out by then).  I still believe they have a decent shot at being below .500, because they're 2-0-1 right now, but the way they've played, they could just have easily been 0-3, because their offense has been mediocre, as they have no rushing attack and they're getting worse every week, so they're going to lose some of those games that they will be expected to win.  

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

the way they've played, they could just have easily been 0-3, because their offense has been mediocre, as they have no rushing attack and they're getting worse every week

What do you mean, they’re getting worse every week?

12 minutes ago, swede700 said:

they're going to lose some of those games that they will be expected to win.  

No doubt they’ll lose a game or two as favorites, and win a game or two as underdogs. Any given Sunday etc. You could’ve gotten great odds on DET beating both the Chargers and Eagles the last 2 weeks. 

But their schedule is favorable and they’re a pretty good team (way underrated coming into the season, as I was saying at the time) off to a good start.