Motor City MoJo: Detroit Lion updates

SteelKing728

With Matthew Stafford still dealing with a back injury, the Lions wanted to bring back quarterback Josh Johnson, but Johnson had joined the XFL. And, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.com, the XFL declined to release Johnson from his contract. It’s the most obvious consequence of signing an XFL contract; the player is bound to the XFL until he’s released or his XFL’s team season ends.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/25/xfl-blocks-a-reunion-between-josh-johnson-and-the-lions/

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

With Matthew Stafford still dealing with a back injury, the Lions wanted to bring back quarterback Josh Johnson, but Johnson had joined the XFL. And, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.com, the XFL declined to release Johnson from his contract. It’s the most obvious consequence of signing an XFL contract; the player is bound to the XFL until he’s released or his XFL’s team season ends.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/25/xfl-blocks-a-reunion-between-josh-johnson-and-the-lions/

If the XFL was smart they would release him. How much money is he going to lose?

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

If the XFL was smart they would release him. How much money is he going to lose?

I get it from the XFLs standpoint. They pay QBs more than other positions and they are going to need QBs with some name recognition for the league to be somewhat successful early on. Now, I don’t know who’s going to tune in to watch games to specifically watch someone like Josh Johnson, but I don’t think the league will be successful if there’s a constant revolving door at QB across the league. 

I’d assume that Josh Johnson signed a contract forgoing his right to return to the NFL, so it shouldn’t come as a shock to him. 

9 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I get it from the XFLs standpoint. They pay QBs more than other positions and they are going to need QBs with some name recognition for the league to be somewhat successful early on. Now, I don’t know who’s going to tune in to watch games to specifically watch someone like Josh Johnson, but I don’t think the league will be successful if there’s a constant revolving door at QB across the league. 

I’d assume that Josh Johnson signed a contract forgoing his right to return to the NFL, so it shouldn’t come as a shock to him. 

I didn't realize quarterbacks are getting paid more. I just think this will make it harder to sign players that think they still have a shot to play in the NFL that year

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

I didn't realize quarterbacks are getting paid more. I just think this will make it harder to sign players that think they still have a shot to play in the NFL that year

Once the XFL season is over, they can still play in the NFL that year.  And no NFL team, Detroit included, had come knocking down the door for Johnson until over halfway through the season, what was he supposed to do?  Just sit on his couch and wait for a call that might have never came? It may suck, but I don't feel bad for Detroit or Johnson and I don't blame the XFL for doing it.  Detroit should have thought of that before cutting him in September...they took the risk, and it came back to bite them.  

9 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Once the XFL season is over, they can still play in the NFL that year.  And no NFL team, Detroit included, had come knocking down the door for Johnson until over halfway through the season, what was he supposed to do?  Just sit on his couch and wait for a call that might have never came? It may suck, but I don't feel bad for Detroit or Johnson and I don't blame the XFL for doing it.  Detroit should have thought of that before cutting him in September...they took the risk, and it came back to bite them.  

I don't blame Johnson. He made a decision. I just think the next guy is going to think twice. Are they going to lock in other position players? Pretty sure they would only have to be on an NFL roster a couple weeks to make more than they would in an XFL season

If the XFL is going to be viable, they need something resembling competent QB play, and they can't be giving up one of their "marquee" players before they've even played a snap. They don't have the talent that even the USFL had, so they have to build a league from the bottom up. They need to make it through year one, and that will require all hands on deck. Next season, they seriously need to look at poaching NCAA true sophomores or red shirts. That's going to have to be their niche, in my opinion. Become the place where college kids can get paid for risking their NFL careers, instead of blowing out their Achilles working on a Poli Sci degree. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Lions had been cautious with quarterback Matthew Stafford, but decided to make it official Tuesday. The team announced that Stafford was going on injured reserve, because of a back injury. He was playing exceptionally well before he was diagnosed with broken bones in his back. In eight games, he threw for 2,499 yards, with 19 touchdowns and just five interceptions.

They’ll continue to start David Blough in their final two games.

On the day they confirmed that coach Matt Patricia and General Manager Bob Quinn would be back next year, this allows them to clear the decks of news in one day.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/17/lions-put-matthew-stafford-on-injured-reserve/

On 12/22/2019 at 3:51 AM, SteelKing728 said:

If anyone is curious, Detroit is set to play Arizona next year and the loser of the Wash/NYG game today. 

Chicago gets LA Rams and winner of the above NFCE matchup.

And the Vikings likely will have to go to the loser of the Seahawks-49ers game next week, and will get the Cowboys at home (as I think the Eagles will still end up winning the division, unless they absolutely choke next week).  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

And the Vikings likely will have to go to the loser of the Seahawks-49ers game next week, and will get the Cowboys at home (as I think the Eagles will still end up winning the division, unless they absolutely choke next week).  

Vikings win tonight and Sloter will Slaughter.

We pillage the North!!