Motor City MoJo: Detroit Lion updates

SteelKing728

The cellar-dwelling 1-5 Lions could be sellers at the trade deadline, and one of the names making the rounds is tight end T.J. Hockenson. Hockenson, a fourth-year player who is under contract through 2023, understands the chatter:

“Listen, I’m not stupid, I know what I can bring to another team and I know here that they could, if they want something, if they want to do things for the future then I’m not stupid in that sense. It is a business and whatever they have to do upstairs they’re going to do. And that doesn’t — there’s no hard feelings about it. There’s no, ‘Hey, I don’t like him personally’ or anything about that. That’s just how it is. So I’m not dumb or naive in that fact.”

Hockenson said he wants to stay with the Lions, and it would make sense for the Lions to keep as many good players as they can. The question becomes whether and to what extent they’ll be willing to reward him with a major contract before his rookie deal expires.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/29/t-j-hockenson-understands-trade-rumors-are-part-of-the-business/

17 hours ago, AP_allday2869 said:

I would love to somehow get Hock. I really wanted him in 2019, and I really want him now. Too bad the Lions would never trade him to us.

They got a pretty sweet deal from Kwesi in draft day...they might want to go back to that well again. 

That said, I don't think we'd be in the market for him because his salary next year is a bit high (also fully guaranteed) and his production to this point hasn't matched the contract extension he'll likely be looking for. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Isn't that part of the Rooney Rule?

It probably was but can you imagine if he would've been hired? I recall hearing positive things about him when he was being interviewed, he just must not be ready yet. I'm sure he'll catch on somewhere else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

He interviewed for the Vikes DC position if I remember correctly. Bullet dodged?

I blame it more on their lack of talent than anything, not necessarily his coaching. The Lions have one of the worst pass rush rates in the entire NFL, which certainly does no favors to the secondary.  

11 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Firing your DB coach because of your awful pass rush is certainly a choice. 

I read that it was because the secondary didn't do what Campbell wanted them to do, which was press and get physical with the Dolphins receivers.  I'd argue that Pleasant probably did the right thing...and not do that (if that's what he did).  If they had tried to press the Dolphins' WRs, they probably would have lost by 24 instead of 4.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I read that it was because the secondary didn't do what Campbell wanted them to do, which was press and get physical with the Dolphins receivers.  I'd argue that Pleasant probably did the right thing...and not do that (if that's what he did).  If they had tried to press the Dolphins' WRs, they probably would have lost by 24 instead of 4.

Yeah, you don’t press that kind of speed and explosiveness. 

11 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

D. Campbell clock is starting to tick I imagine. 

I think you still have to give him at least into next year to see where they're headed as right now, they're still supremely outmatched talent-wise most weeks.  But, if they start similarly next year, then I think the heat would be on. 

I mean, they still won't have their 1st rd WR for another month, and the teams they've lost to are a combined 33-13.  This is a long-term process...and if the Packers decide to do that same thing next year, the Vikings theoretically could own this division for the next 3-4 years.  

Edited by swede700