Motor City MoJo: Detroit Lion updates

SteelKing728

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Oh swede you know me too well!😂

I do expect Detroit to seriously compete for the #1 seed while Minnesota takes a step back from 13-4 (We are probably closer to a 10-7 team) and GB/Chi rebuild.

You're probably more optimistic than I am.  With the more difficult schedule, I think it's going to be tough for the Vikings to get to 9-8.

• Like 3

As long as the Lions are coached by Dan Campbell, they’re always going to be a tease. Campbell is good for 3-4 losses a year on his own. The Lions will be a trendy pick, like Cleveland was for a few years, but Until they prove otherwise, they are the same old Lions and should be picked closer to the cellar than the crown.

11 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

As long as the Lions are coached by Dan Campbell, they’re always going to be a tease. Campbell is good for 3-4 losses a year on his own. The Lions will be a trendy pick, like Cleveland was for a few years, but Until they prove otherwise, they are the same old Lions and should be picked closer to the cellar than the crown.

Distraught Debbie Downers despair at your dire deliberations.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, swede700 said:

You're probably more optimistic than I am.  With the more difficult schedule, I think it's going to be tough for the Vikings to get to 9-8.

Is there really much differenc between a fist place schedule and a fourth place schedule?  Every team in the division has to play each every other team twice. So there is 6 games.  Then they will each play all the dame teams in another NFC division and in an AFC division.  That's 14 out of 17 games playing the exact same opponents.  The other 3 games do differ, but some 1st place opponents will regress and some last place opponents will get better.  So the schedule, within the division, doesn't amount to a hill of beans between 1st place  and 4th place.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain Relax said:

Is there really much differenc between a fist place schedule and a fourth place schedule?  Every team in the division has to play each every other team twice. So there is 6 games.  Then they will each play all the dame teams in another NFC division and in an AFC division.  That's 14 out of 17 games playing the exact same opponents.  The other 3 games do differ, but some 1st place opponents will regress and some last place opponents will get better.  So the schedule, within the division, doesn't amount to a hill of beans between 1st place  and 4th place.

Some 1st place teams that we are fans of will also regress.  I do think a lot of this season was a little smoke and mirrors and won't be able to be duplicated.  They probably were a 9-8 team, but managed to get to 13-4.  Add in games vs. the Bengals, Eagles and 49ers, who all are not likely to regress=it's going to be more difficult to get to 9-8.   There is a tremendous difference, at least to me, between playing the Bengals, Eagles and 49ers to the Browns, Cardinals and Commanders.  Maybe not a huge difference, considering how competitive those divisions are, but it's still significant IMO.  We'll have to wait and see the timing of those games too, as that will matter.  

Edited by swede700

28 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I could see the Lions having a 2021 Bengals type season very soon. That's troublesome.

you also could see Tarvaris Jackson becoming a franchise QB, and a host of other things that never happened. you've been doing this through your entire fan career.

so... don't feel so troubled.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

you also could see Tarvaris Jackson becoming a franchise QB, and a host of other things that never happened. you've been doing this through your entire fan career.

so... don't feel so troubled.

I remember those days when I defended Tarvaris initially against big blowback from some others around here as he hadn't gained enough starting experience yet...but, then after that Colts game I attended in 2008, I was done defending him.  😉

I might have even been a "biased" moderator then.  😂

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Defensive tackle Michael Brockers is officially a free agent.

Word that the Lions would release Brockers came on Thursday night and the team officially announced the move on Friday afternoon.

Brockers came to the Lions in a 2021 trade with the Rams and started 16 games in his first season. He only played six games in 2022, however, and just one after Week Five as the Lions opted to go with other players up front on defense.

The move clears $10 million in cap space for the Lions as they head toward the new league year. It also gives Brockers a jump on finding a new team before all of this year’s free agents hit the open market.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/24/lions-officially-release-michael-brockers/