Bears Cuts and Cuts Around the NFL

Sugashane

1 hour ago, MonserinNC said:

Mizell clearly outplayed him and I think he is still even on a bit of a bubble.

Mizell is the one we need to hope makes the PS. Nall kind of just went out and played regular football

I disagree with this pretty strongly.... Mizell showed almost no capacity to actually run the football as a running back, imo. He was better (significantly so even) in the passing game out of the backfield, but Nall wasn't terrible in that department either.

As an actual runner, Nall showed when against the better backups/starters that he probably needs a year to get himself on that level physically, but he was outright dominant vs the depth level players in the 4th game, which is what you want to see. Mizzell imo didn't show anywhere near that flash against anyone, depth or otherwise. 

Beyond that, Nall took significant reps as a Fullback option and looked to be hitting his blocks well, and additionally has a much more comparable running style to Howard that makes him a more ideal candidate imo..  This is all moot if Nall ends up clearing waivers and getting on the practice squad, but I personally would have taken Nall 10 times of 10 over Mizzell given what both have showed thus far.

54 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Didn’t Edebali get carted off against Buffalo? To my knowledge his injury was pretty serious.

It ended up just being a leg contusion. No lasting damage done.

6 minutes ago, bkokot said:

Sounds like the Bears have cut John Jenkins, which is a surprise to me because he was playing well in the preseason, looks like they plan on holding on to Nick Williams as the backup NT.

I'm seeing a "final 53" without Williams either, does that make Bilal Nichols the backup there? This is a puzzling move for me as well.

Bears 53 actually this list is 54 cause Mack.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/bears-finalize-53-man-roster-theyre-younger-but-are-they-better/

Every draft pick and Toliver made it.  A lot of people predicted that early with Toliver impressing big time before getting hurt in camp.  Wims was no surprise as he was camp and pre season stand out   

5 TEs made it.  That was a bit of surprise for me.  Shaheen injury probably had a bit to do with that.  We dont need all 5 IMO. Maybe its a special teams thing.

Bellamy is a wasted spot IMO.

Hronnis must have blackmail on Pace or something.  I don't get that.  He is not an NFL caliber player.  Cut him for Mack.  Easy call. 

Rashaad Coward is new Big Cat.  Hopefully no one gets hurt and this guy gets better in practice for a year. Bears have been negligent in drafting OTs.  They may have lucked into this guy like they did with Leno. I have said for years teams should be looking for OL amongst DL because DL are better athletes.  

Bears now have a complete team talentwise without a deficient position group.  They are just young and undeveloped.  

OT remains dangerously thin.  

Steal some wins and get and stay healthy then a 9 or 10+ win season is absolutely possible whereas before Mack I think 7 or 8 was ceiling.

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

I disagree with this pretty strongly.... Mizell showed almost no capacity to actually run the football as a running back, imo. He was better (significantly so even) in the passing game out of the backfield, but Nall wasn't terrible in that department either.

As an actual runner, Nall showed when against the better backups/starters that he probably needs a year to get himself on that level physically, but he was outright dominant vs the depth level players in the 4th game, which is what you want to see. Mizzell imo didn't show anywhere near that flash against anyone, depth or otherwise. 

Beyond that, Nall took significant reps as a Fullback option and looked to be hitting his blocks well, and additionally has a much more comparable running style to Howard that makes him a more ideal candidate imo..  This is all moot if Nall ends up clearing waivers and getting on the practice squad, but I personally would have taken Nall 10 times of 10 over Mizzell given what both have showed thus far.

Agree. Not sure how much of a case can be made for Mizzell. Nall had several runs of 20+ yards, had more YAC,  and has some positional versatility. Mizzell is a more well-rounded athlete but there is nothing special to him, Nall at least has high end power. He had the 2nd most rushing yards in the preseason. 

To me it is like comparing Howard to Cunningham. Howard is inferior in receiving and passblocking IMO, but is a special runner. That puts him WAY over Cunningham. Same with Nall over Mizzell. 

I dont expect either to warrant starter reps unless Nall concerts to FB though, for years. Both could be pretty easily upgraded over too in a year or so. 

3 hours ago, bkokot said:

Also, how in the world is Hroniss Grasu still on this roster? I am so confused.

1) Pace doesn't wanna admit a mistake (ala White) even after an ACL tear. 2) Lack of depth at OL. 3) His rookie contract expires this year anyhow so we may as well keep him now.

I'm glad to see Wims and Braunecker make it.

*Disclaimer* This may be one of those preseason overreactions but Wims looked legit in that KC game -- albeit against a terrible CB in Amerson (who btw is now out of job because of how bad Wims made him look).

As a 7th round pick it's hard to get overly excited about any player but I'm intrigued to see how much he progresses.

Combine this with his size. Some of the catches, the body control, good hand-eye coordination, fluid route running, good field awareness, how comfortable he looked on the field and how much better he seemed to had got as the game went on..... all makes him very interesting to watch. He didn't look like rookie who just turned 23 years old. I Hope he can continue show improvements in practice and atleast push out Bellamy for that 5th spot. (hopefully we aren't forced to play him extensively this year). 

I think looking at the cuts I would have liked to have kept Fowler over Bellamy but Josh clearly adds something to the locker room and that is keeping him around...the only real surprise and one I disagree with is Jenkins...he was playing well in preseason and provided a true backup NT to Goldman who has had some injury concerns...I doubt we stick with only 5 DL during the season...hopefully BB is moved from TE to FB and Burton is cut to make room for one...I reckon we will still see plenty of movement at the bottom of the roster with how aggressive Pace has been this offseason. 

I would 100% rather have Matt Tobin as our backup LT than Sowell.

Couple of interesting cuts from the Bengals...Michael Johnson who we could bulk up and play as a DE and Josh Shaw who would be a solid depth player at S.

Mo Alexander would be a soild addition at S as well.

Carl Davis from the Ravens as depth at NT.

I think the coaching staff likes Grassu more than the fans know haha. Every year the reporters say he is on the bubble but I think they actually like him. Him and Bellamy are shockers every year but they must be doing something in practice or in the locker room.

I honestly could sort of see Grassu and Bellamy being very good 2nd team/practice partners.

33 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

I think the coaching staff likes Grassu more than the fans know haha. Every year the reporters say he is on the bubble but I think they actually like him. Him and Bellamy are shockers every year but they must be doing something in practice or in the locker room.

I honestly could sort of see Grassu and Bellamy being very good 2nd team/practice partners.

Kendall Wright just got cut from the Vikings, I'd love to see us bring him back instead of Bellamy, wasn't Wright our leading receiver last season?  If nothing else Trubisky should have some familiarity and comfort with him.

11 minutes ago, bkokot said:

Kendall Wright just got cut from the Vikings, I'd love to see us bring him back instead of Bellamy, wasn't Wright our leading receiver last season?  If nothing else Trubisky should have some familiarity and comfort with him.

Wright doesn't offer the STs value that Bellamy does, that's why Bellamy is still on the team and Wright won't be brought back.

Archived