Bills cut Corey Coleman; signed by Patriots

.Buzz

On 9/2/2018 at 1:57 PM, MWil23 said:

Myles Garrett now officially the longest tenured Browns 1st round selection. Yay...

Damn, that's insane. And they've had 16 first round picks in the last 10 years. 

And I know the verdict is going to be pending on the rookies for a while but they passed on the two guys that were widely considered as the best QB and best defender in the draft. I don't understand it continues to happen. It's to the point where the owner should just forgo a GM and scouting department and compile all the "expert" big boards and draft based off that.

38 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Damn, that's insane. And they've had 16 first round picks in the last 10 years. 

And I know the verdict is going to be pending on the rookies for a while but they passed on the two guys that were widely considered as the best QB and best defender in the draft. I don't understand it continues to happen. It's to the point where the owner should just forgo a GM and scouting department and compile all the "expert" big boards and draft based off that.

To be a fair a lot of guys they took were not considered reaches by most experts. Brady Quinn was considered a still. Mack, Haden (both good picks btw), Phil Taylor, Mingo, Shelton and Coleman were all mocked around where they were taken. Richardson was also considered a top 5 picks by every expert. Erving was considered good value too. 

Since 2007 I think only 4 picks (out of 16) were considered reaches: Gilbert, Peppers (jury is still out), Manziel and Weeden. And, aside from Weeden, none were outragious reaches. 

On 9/1/2018 at 6:11 PM, marshawn lynch said:

I don't think this cut was a result of poor play rather than he came in late and didn't display the ability bro catch up on the playbook compared to his competition.

This, plus being on the browns didn't help.

Unlikely he ever turns it around but he was screwed from the start. 

4 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

What does that have to do with his inability to adapt to the NFL game, that's a tired, lazy narrative bro. Be above that

When you have this many 1st round picks flame out so quickly from the NFL or from your own team, there has to be at least some validity that playing for an organization (or rather, being introduced to the NFL game while being in a certain organization) was the reason he was "unable to adapt to the NFL game" and not "oh well the player was just mentally unable to make the adjustment" 16 times over.

27 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

When you have this many 1st round picks flame out so quickly from the NFL or from your own team, there has to be at least some validity that playing for an organization (or rather, being introduced to the NFL game while being in a certain organization) was the reason he was "unable to adapt to the NFL game" and not "oh well the player was just mentally unable to make the adjustment" 16 times over.

Oh, so its the Browns fault he dropped passes and couldn't beat the press, sounds like sound logic

Just now, MSURacerDT55 said:

Oh, so its the Browns fault he dropped passes and couldn't beat the press, sounds like sound logic

Will certain players be exceptions to the rule? Certainly. However, pretending that the Browns haven't fostered a culture of bad coaching leading to top picks washing out extremely fast is pretty naive, if you ask me. The fact that nearly every single one of your 16 1st-round picks in the past 10 years has washed out extremely fast from the NFL leads me to the belief that either EVERYONE scouted those players completely wrong and they should've been 4th round picks instead of 1st round picks because they couldn't adapt to the NFL game, OR the Browns as an organization are just extremely incompetent at transitioning players from the NCAA to the NFL level of expectations.

One of those scenarios has years worth of evidence supporting it. The other is that every NFL and NCAA organization scouted these draft picks wrongly. Unless you truly believe that Phil Taylor, Trent Richardson, Brandon Weeden, Barkevious Mingo, Justin Gilbert, Johnny Manziel, Danny Shelton, Cameron Erving, Corey Coleman and Jabrill Peppers all were just truly horrible players unable to adjust to the NFL game, you have to accept the reality that your team is at least somewhat at fault for their development or lack thereof.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Will certain players be exceptions to the rule? Certainly. However, pretending that the Browns haven't fostered a culture of bad coaching leading to top picks washing out extremely fast is pretty naive, if you ask me. The fact that nearly every single one of your 16 1st-round picks in the past 10 years has washed out extremely fast from the NFL leads me to the belief that either EVERYONE scouted those players completely wrong and they should've been 4th round picks instead of 1st round picks because they couldn't adapt to the NFL game, OR the Browns as an organization are just extremely incompetent at transitioning players from the NCAA to the NFL level of expectations.

One of those scenarios has years worth of evidence supporting it. The other is that every NFL and NCAA organization scouted these draft picks wrongly. Unless you truly believe that Phil Taylor, Trent Richardson, Brandon Weeden, Barkevious Mingo, Justin Gilbert, Johnny Manziel, Danny Shelton, Cameron Erving, Corey Coleman and Jabrill Peppers all were just truly horrible players unable to adjust to the NFL game, you have to accept the reality that your team is at least somewhat at fault for their development or lack thereof.

Those were a product of terrible evaluations, it was proven that not a single one of those guys (except Peppers) could play the game at a high level in this league with other teams, the idea that somehow the colors Brown and Orange have something to do with their own faults as a player is utter ridiculous. Either you can or you cant, fairly simple

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Those were a product of terrible evaluations, it was proven that not a single one of those guys could play the game at a high level in this league with other teams, the idea that somehow the colors Brown and Orange have something to do with their own faults as a player is utter ridiculous. Either you can or you cant, fairly simple

The colors don't - but the organization from the top down does.

I guess though that if you really believe that none of those players were realistically evaluated and that they all wouldn't have gone in the 1st round to other teams that's certainly a view you're welcome to have - although it's not backed by any reality.

Archived