Bills cut Corey Coleman; signed by Patriots

.Buzz

On 9/4/2018 at 10:57 PM, Onizuka said:

I think it's a cop out to blame the environment as a major reason for players that wash out of the NFL. I would say that the main reason the Browns have not been able to retain their first round talent is due bad scouting (Gilbert) and management decision (Manziel). There are a lot of successful athletes and people who were able to thrive in not ideal environments; it was their drive and focus on their goals that got them to where they are.

Environment definitely plays a part, but the ones that fail to overcome it, are simply the ones that fail and/or remain content not going any further with their lives. Just look at the corporate world; there are those that do nothing but complain and accomplish the bare minimum while wondering why they aren't moving up. These are the same people that tell themselves and their friends excuses as to why others were able to move passed them. Coleman expected to be treated like a starter, even though he was not playing like one and it hurt his ego. We only saw glimpses of it on hard knocks, but it seemed like he was arguing with the coaches while not performing (had a hard time dealing with the 2's defense).

Part of drafting is developing players. Most players don’t come into the league pro ready. The Browns have never shown the ability to do that 

3 hours ago, lancerman said:

Part of drafting is developing players. Most players don’t come into the league pro ready. The Browns have never shown the ability to do that 

...except for the fact that we have had several good players on our roster that we "developed." People point at the monumental failures as proof that we can't develop players, but then completely ignore the guys that have worked out for us. Some guys just suck. Some guys are good. We seem to be really good at finding the ones that suck. It's a drafting problem, not a developing problem.

On 9/12/2018 at 9:16 AM, lancerman said:

I won't completely disagree with this statement, because I've also stated that some of HC's were incapable of developing young players...but the point I'm making is the excuse that players in bad environments can't excel...we've had plenty of serviceable players that have stuck around the league, starters that other teams picked up immediately, and even great players (1 locked for the HOF).

There have been plenty of "pro-ready" players that have busted because of their work ethic....basically, a lot of players chose to have a short-live lifestyle of the rich athletes, rather than constantly working on their craft and enjoy a long-lived lifestyle of successful athletes.

On 9/12/2018 at 1:32 PM, BleedTheClock said:

...except for the fact that we have had several good players on our roster that we "developed." People point at the monumental failures as proof that we can't develop players, but then completely ignore the guys that have worked out for us. Some guys just suck. Some guys are good. We seem to be really good at finding the ones that suck. It's a drafting problem, not a developing problem.

While the Browns have developed a lot of their mid round picks into respectable starters, the consistent inability to hit on their 1st rounders is baffling. Denzel Ward and Myles Garrett look like they may change this trend (still too early to say one way or the other imo) but since coming back in 1999, you can count the number of non-bust 1st rounders on one hand. Joe Thomas, Alex Mack, maybe Joe Haden?

The Browns have an absurdly low hit rate on 1st rounders. I can't think of another team that has had  even close to so many busts in the 1st round in this span.

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

While the Browns have developed a lot of their mid round picks into respectable starters, the consistent inability to hit on their 1st rounders is baffling. Denzel Ward and Myles Garrett look like they may change this trend (still too early to say one way or the other imo) but since coming back in 1999, you can count the number of non-bust 1st rounders on one hand. Joe Thomas, Alex Mack, maybe Joe Haden?

The Browns have an absurdly low hit rate on 1st rounders. I can't think of another team that has had  even close to so many busts in the 1st round in this span.

Not disagreeing with your overall point, but the Browns have hit on more than that. Haden is definitely more than a maybe. There was a point in time where he was one of the best CBs in the league, but injuries started to add up. He's still a solid CB for Pittsburgh, though. Then there's guys like Phil Taylor (who was good but injuries ended his career), Danny Shelton (maybe not worth a first round pick but still a damn fine DT), and then guys like Courtney Brown, whose career was derailed by injuries. Winslow and Edwards also had some good years, so I wouldn't say they were total busts - just never quite lived up to their draft billing... although some of those reasons were off the field related.

But yeah, your overall point rings true. I'm just nitpicking. :)

Archived