Around the League

.Buzz

I wanna see what the Raiders actually get, and what kind of calamitous contract the Bears have to give Mack before i totally judge.

But yeah, the Raiders are dumb in general.  I just don't know if the Mack thing is entirely part of that or not.  Can't really blame them for not wanting to pay fully guaranteed franchise QB money or something for a guy who has had far more personal success and accolades than the defense as a unit.  He's clearly not doing for that defense, what a "franchise QB" does for an offense in elevating the play of others around him.

3 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I wanna see what the Raiders actually get, and what kind of calamitous contract the Bears have to give Mack before i totally judge.

But yeah, the Raiders are dumb in general.  I just don't know if the Mack thing is entirely part of that or not.  Can't really blame them for not wanting to pay fully guaranteed franchise QB money or something for a guy who has had far more personal success and accolades than the defense as a unit.  He's clearly not doing for that defense, what a "franchise QB" does for an offense in elevating the play of others around him.

I don't care if Mack gets all of King Midas' silver, the Raiders are hella stupid

39 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I don't care if Mack gets all of King Midas' silver, the Raiders are hella stupid

We're going to be looking at this sort of situation with Yan and Jalen coming up for new deals sooner or later.  Fortunately for us i guess, our QB kinda stinks and hasn't shown anything to earn that $25M a year type deal on the other end yet.  But $22-23M like it sounds Mack is after, is pretty crippling when you've also got a mediocre $25M QB on the other side of the ball too.  $22M is a couple high-end rookies (those draft picks they're getting) for 4-5 years, PLUS a couple other really good FAs.  You're talking like...Mack...or potentially 4+ good quality starters or better.

The Raiders drafting doesn't exactly inspire confidence they'll maximize that return, but what they were doing clearly wasn't working, and paying Mack $22-23M takes away a ton of flexibility in trying to build a deeper, stronger overall team with less glaring holes.  As good as Mack is, he's not enough to elevate that defense as a unit like a good QB can for an offense.

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

We're going to be looking at this sort of situation with Yan and Jalen coming up for new deals sooner or later.  Fortunately for us i guess, our QB kinda stinks and hasn't shown anything to earn that $25M a year type deal on the other end yet.  But $22-23M like it sounds Mack is after, is pretty crippling when you've also got a mediocre $25M QB on the other side of the ball too.  $22M is a couple high-end rookies (those draft picks they're getting) for 4-5 years, PLUS a couple other really good FAs.  You're talking like...Mack...or potentially 4+ good quality starters or better.

The Raiders drafting doesn't exactly inspire confidence they'll maximize that return, but what they were doing clearly wasn't working, and paying Mack $22-23M takes away a ton of flexibility in trying to build a deeper, stronger overall team with less glaring holes.  As good as Mack is, he's not enough to elevate that defense as a unit like a good QB can for an offense.

That word is the real key. If you look at their last 4 1st round picks, you would take Mack at 80% 

Just now, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

That word is the real key. If you look at their last 4 1st round picks, you would take Mack at 80% 

Sure.  But if you're that dim on Gruden and the Raiders scouting/drafting in the first place, anything they do is going to fail.  Keeping Mack was going to be a failure too in that respect, because if they can't get those quality pieces in there with the extra picks and masses of extra cap space from dealing Mack...they definitely weren't going to be putting enough good pieces around him to build a quality defense by keeping him.

Archived