Terence Newman Announces Retirement

SemperFeist

Newman, who played for Mike Zimmer for three different teams (Dallas from 2003-06, Cincinnati from 2012-13 and Minnesota from 2015 on), appeared in 221 career games with 205 starts in his 15-year career. Newman was selected with the fifth overall pick in the 2003 NFL Draft by the Dallas Cowboys out of Kansas State and totaled 42 career interceptions, half of which came under the tutelage of Zimmer.

https://www.vikings.com/news/terence-newman-announces-retirement-as-a-player-will-join-vikings-coaching-staff?sf196738930=1

17 hours ago, Klomp said:

I feel like someone called this a long time ago.

Like this?

Agree that Newman doesn’t make the roster if he ends up as the 5th CB on the depth chart, behind both Hughes and Alexander. They tend to use 4 corners on defense with everyone healthy, so there’s a bit of a rotation, but they don’t need to go 5 deep. 

Hill seems very likely to make the roster if he stays clean — Rhodes was praising him yesterday. If Hill can be a non-terrible, let alone good, 5th option as a CB who could start a game or play rotationally, Newman isn’t needed. 

They expect the 5th and 6th corners to play special teams, which Newman doesn’t. Hill should be good on special teams coverage units given his tackling ability in space. Sherels of course is very good on STs, not just as a returner. Don’t think they’d cut Sherels, use his roster spot for Newman and then make Newman a healthy scratch most games. 

Newman was slowing down considerably last year. The Vikings analytics guy gave an interview last month where he mentioned they track players speed in practices and there was evidence of Newman falling off physically. He was picked on as a weak spot in the playoffs. Was only on the field for 32 pass coverage snaps but all hell broke loose when he was on the field: gave up 2 TDs and 107 yards on 10 targets, including the too-easy TD Thomas scored from the slot in the Saints comeback and Agholor’s deep TD on the double move where Newman wasn’t even within 10 yards when he caught it. 

I expect Newman to stay with the team through camp and preseason. If Hughes and Hill are good enough to play this year, Newman can retire and take a coaching / advisor position. There’s no guaranteed money on his one year deal (unlike Sherels, who counts $500K against the cap even if released) If they get into injury trouble, knock on wood they don’t, Newman can un-retire and sign as a street free agent. 

That's from July 29. Only problem with that take in retrospect is that last sentence -- there's apparently some kind of rule that coaches can't un-retire and go back to playing (because I guess that would be an easy way of circumventing the roster limit). 

Even so, I wasn't convinced as of yesterday this was actually going to happen. Newman keeping his position on the depth chart through camp and preseason made it seem like he wasn't going anywhere. Very glad he made the decision easier and retired. It would've been crazy to trade Alexander or cut Hill in order to keep both Newman and Sherels. 

Newman is a class act and he was a fantastic addition to the defense especially in 2015 and 2016. The progress Waynes has made is a credit to Newman for protecting him from getting repeatedly burned while he learned on the job in his first couple of years. Having Newman immediately take a coaching job speaks so well of the culture the team has built up, especially around Zimmer and the defense -- exemplary professionalism. 

I do think that it was time for Newman to go. The playoffs weren't at all kind and he has an heir apparent in Hughes. Kudos to him for this move, capping off an impressive career. 

I feel Newman is gonna take Hughes under his wings and he'll eventually be the outside CB2. Hughes is the long term CB after Rhodes.

Waynes improved from getting beat (being lost in space), but it appears Hughes may have him beat in that department. Rhodes & Hughes are Island CBs. Making the middle of the field incredibly small with likely 4 defenders. No more Kendricks \ Barr being asked to cover someone in slot space, we'll have at least 2 more DBs in the middle I can see (on 3rd down).

Assuming he's gonna work with the DBs, the move could create a nice transition if Jerry Gray were to get a coordinator job elsewhere.

There's another guy listed as assistant DB coach already (Jeff Howard), but he could easily slide to assistant LB coach, as he played LB in college. 

19 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i'll call it right now....

Zimmer, assuming his health holds out (caveat!) moves Newman up the coaching ladder and he eventually becomes head coach of the Minnesota Vikings. lol

I don't personally see it

Is not a great surprise, the guy lost his quickness and speed some and that showed last year and even this preseason.  Was kind of surprised though they say Newman retired when they say Robison was cut.  Thought they could have said the same thing for Robison.  When really Newman was cut, sure call that retired but he was cut also like Robison.  Great Newman is a coach, no real surprise and honestly that is why he was kept around anyway especially through training camp etc.

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Is not a great surprise, the guy lost his quickness and speed some and that showed last year and even this preseason.  Was kind of surprised though they say Newman retired when they say Robison was cut.  Thought they could have said the same thing for Robison.  When really Newman was cut, sure call that retired but he was cut also like Robison.  Great Newman is a coach, no real surprise and honestly that is why he was kept around anyway especially through training camp etc.

Because Newman quit playing football. The door is still open for Robison to keep playing football if he wants to.

Archived