Terence Newman Announces Retirement

SemperFeist

16 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Because Newman quit playing football. The door is still open for Robison to keep playing football if he wants to.

I seriously doubt Robison gets signed or signs to play somewhere else but who knows, I assume his is done and would not want to play for another team.  Maybe I am wrong though.  As for Newman, I also believe he would have never been signed unless a team wanted him for coaching/playing which is arguably what he did last year.  Most of it was basically a coach on the field/sidelines who was a player.  Doubt Newman would be signed based on his current physical abilities right now, I feel he has lost a step and does not have the quickness to play in the slot or even the range to play safety.  

It is great he is a coach now though that is awesome for him and the Vikings.  Few players can instantly get that type of position the second they are done.

Whether they are still capable of playing has nothing to do with how their career status is referred too. 

Newman wasn’t cut, he retired. Maybe the team informed him that they weren’t going to keep him as a player, but he chose to announce his retirement and moved into the coaching staff, which prevents him from returning as a player, so the team didn’t have to make that decision. Hence retired. 

Robison was told he wouldn’t make the roster, and they released him. And while there is the chance no one chooses to sign him, or he may not be interested in signing with another team, Robison, reportedly, has not taken any steps towards retirement. Hence cut, or released. 

Newman was approached by coach Mike Zimmer on Saturday prior to roster cuts asking him if he’d be interested in becoming a member of the coaching staff. 

Newman is looking at this season like “a trial period” to determine whether or not he wants to make this a long-term career path. He isn’t sure what type of emotions he’ll feel when he’s on the sidelines for the Sep. 9 season opener against the San Francisco 49ers.

Newman: “I’ve thought about what it’s going to like on the sideline and not have to hit 300-pound men. I don’t know the feeling I’ll have or a rush of emotions or be nervous as hell because I can’t do anything on the field, however the game is going, whatever. That’ll be one that I just let happen and go with.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/09/03/terence-newman-still-getting-used-to-his-new-role-on-vikings-coaching-staff/

10 hours ago, RpMc said:

20 years from now, Terence Newman - Minnesota Vikings, head coach. 

Could definitely see him taking the Mike Vrabel track. Newman remained a student throughout his whole career as well as a teacher. He also doesn't put himself above anyone and treats absolutely everyone he meets with respect. If that is a goal of his, he could definitely do it.

Archived