49ers Jerick McKinnon tears ACL; done for season.

Dr LBC

10 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

These things happen when there's already structural damage, in all likelihood it was gonna go just a matter of when.

It's much like Guice getting hurt last year, and being cleared.  McKinnon's injury earlier this preseason was a sign.   It was worth hoping it was just a MCL, but obviously in hindsight the wear & tear was building up.

11 hours ago, AlNFL19 said:

Ouch. With a guy like McKinnon who has such explosive traits (see combine statistics), you have to wonder what this is going to do to the guy's career. What a terrible thing for '9ers fans. 

At least they still have Jimmy G.

Bigger issue for McKinnon is that for all ACL's, they are almost certainly back in a calendar year playing - but they don't get full explosion back for 16-18 months - so really 2019 he will likely play, but not be his pre-ACL self.  On the other hand, maybe last year he wasn't his SPARQ freak show self.  But realistically, 2020 is when we'd expect the truly 100 percent healthy McKinnon to be there - and who knows what his role/impact is then.  For every Dion Lewis, there are a ton of guys who never get another chance.

I will say this - at least he got paid.   Might be his only big payday.  So many other guys get hurt just before they get paid.

11 hours ago, Forge said:

Morris and Breida are both better runners, though obviously neither brings the versatility that McKinnon does in the passing game. It's definitely something Breida can develop, but I don't know if he's going to get that in year 2. But I've never been overly impressed with McKinnon the runner. 

In space, though, the guy is lethal.  The CIN game showed that in spades, a real pass catching weapon.  

Agree that he was never suited to be a bellcow, or run it inside a ton.  12-15 carries (8-10 offtackle or outside), and 6-8 targets was his optimal deployment.    The pass-catching element and home-run ability there isn't matched on SF's current roster.  That's where they will miss him most.

37 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I just feel like they have to be going out there and signing someone else. Breida and Morris cant be there answer right? 

Idk, Morris ran for over 2800 yards in two seasons under Shanahan. He has fresh legs too. I think he's gonna have a great season.

3 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Idk, Morris ran for over 2800 yards in two seasons under Shanahan. He has fresh legs too. I think he's gonna have a great season.

Fresh legs? Aren't his legs fresh simply because he was terrible in 2015 and 2016 therefore no one wanted him to run the ball for them really? He had a okay 2017 albeit behind a beast OL. I will admit, I thought Morris was alot older than 29. Just seems like he got worse and worse after his 1st year running full time

2 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Fresh legs? Aren't his legs fresh simply because he was terrible in 2015 and 2016 therefore no one wanted him to run the ball for them really? He had a okay 2017 albeit behind a beast OL. I will admit, I thought Morris was alot older than 29. Just seems like he got worse and worse after his 1st year running full time

All I know is he was great until Shanahan left Washington after the 2013 season. The last two years he was running behind Zeke. I wouldn't bet on him running for 1600 yards like he did his rookie season, but I'd say a 1200 yard, 8 TD season in this offense that will for sure produce is very realistic.

1 hour ago, Art_Vandalay said:

All I know is he was great until Shanahan left Washington after the 2013 season. The last two years he was running behind Zeke. I wouldn't bet on him running for 1600 yards like he did his rookie season, but I'd say a 1200 yard, 8 TD season in this offense that will for sure produce is very realistic.

Don't think he gets the amount of carries to achieve those numbers. Breida will be getting a heavy dose of the carries. 

I'm not too sure we go with another RB. We aleady have four backs (including Juice Check). Mostert who is a STs beast made the team and has looked pretty good as a runner in preseason. 

16 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Considering his size and durability concerns, I would disagree. He'll for sure be the back on passing downs. 

Durability issues for Breida? He was fine last year and looked really good in camp before his shoulder injury. I'd expect Breida to get 12-14 carries a game and then Morris to get around 10 and then the rest to whoever our 3rd RB will be. Breida may not be a 20 carries a game back, but he's definitely capable of getting around 200 rushes a year. The question will be how much he's able to provide in the passing game. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Durability issues for Breida? He was fine last year and looked really good in camp before his shoulder injury. I'd expect Breida to get 12-14 carries a game and then Morris to get around 10 and then the rest to whoever our 3rd RB will be. Breida may not be a 20 carries a game back, but he's definitely capable of getting around 200 rushes a year. The question will be how much he's able to provide in the passing game. 

Breida will play a role similar to Tevin Coleman when Shanny was in Atlanta. Change of pace back with a larger chunk of snaps in passing situations. 

Morris is going to have a really good year imo. He's still has alot of juice left and is a perfect fit in an outside zone scheme. Hearing the way Shanny talks about him you can tell he has big plans for him. 

Even with a healthy Mckinnon I felt that Morris was going to take alot of the early down work. 

6 minutes ago, jarren said:

Breida will play a role similar to Tevin Coleman when Shanny was in Atlanta. Change of pace back with a larger chunk of snaps in passing situations. 

Morris is going to have a really good year imo. He's still has alot of juice left and is a perfect fit in an outside zone scheme. Hearing the way Shanny talks about him you can tell he has big plans for him. 

Even with a healthy Mckinnon I felt that Morris was going to take alot of the early down work. 

Disagree. Before McKinnon got hurt, I'm not even sure Morris was going to be active on game days. We would have already had four backs active with McKinnon/Breida/Mostert/Juice Check. 

But now with McKinnon's injury? Obviously everything changes. Breida isn't just going to be a 6-8 carry a game type of back. He was poised to take a bigger running role even before McKinnon got hurt. Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets around 200 carries. For those just expecting Morris to be the bell cow and Breida will just be the change of pace back are in for a rude awakening. 

50 minutes ago, jarren said:

Very unlikely that Morris would have been active on game days before McKinnon's injury. You don't keep 5 running backs on your game day roster. Would have been McKinnon and Breida for RB work, Juice check for FB, Mostert for special teams. Morris was on the roster, but no place to be active on game day.

Now though? I think Morris gets a good chunk of carries

Archived