History of torn ACL injuries

SteelersFanMD

55 minutes ago, squire12 said:

ACL tears are more easily diagnosed in the last 10-20 years vs 40-50 years ago.  There very well may not be more of them occurring, just more easily diagnosed.

In todays NFL and sports overall, just about any acute injury leads to an MRI...which is the gold standard for diagnosing ACL tears.  Years ago, there were a lot less MRI's done.

Think of your uncle's "trick knee" from his HS playing days.   That was likely an ACL tear, not diagnosed.

I think that's partially the case.  I also think players are bigger and stronger than they've ever been, and the human joints and ligaments can only take so much.  Same goes for Achilles injuries.  

I think players should concentrate more on improving flexibility instead of spending all of their time in the weight room.  

There's also the ugly argument that steroids could be rampant in the sport. 

8 minutes ago, Webmaster said:

I got it.

'preciate it.

One thing I don't think is attributed enough is field conditions - having a poorly maintained field is a surefire way to wreck up ones knees, ankles, etc.

The Texans had a horrible field up until two years ago - it was long sheets of grass rolled horizontally. That made for "divots" at the 10s, which really wrecked a few players (Wes Welker, DeMeco Ryans, Jadevion Clowney to name a few).

Once the Texans switched to a pallet based, interlocking grassy turf substance, the injuries started to subside. They still happen, but not as frequently.

31 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Was hoping to come here and see a comparison of ACL injuries before new practice rules and after new practice rules to see if there was a major disparity between the two.  I left disappointed. 

We aim to please people, or piss people off. So, glad to be of service. ;)

30 minutes ago, SteelersFanMD said:

Fewer injuries would certainly mean longer NFL careers.

Football is synonymous with injuries. The human body wasn't meant to do what we ask football players to do on a weekly basis.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

I think that's partially the case.  I also think players are bigger and stronger than they've ever been, and the human joints and ligaments can only take so much.  Same goes for Achilles injuries.  

I think players should concentrate more on improving flexibility instead of spending all of their time in the weight room.  

I think I remember a doctor comparing it too a tree.

The Trunk and Branches are getting bigger but the root system is still the same size and can't take the new stress.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demands (SAID principle) argues that bigger and stronger happens across all tissue structures.  The histiological studies of the tensile strength of the ACL done in the 70's and 80's were looking at athletes that ...as you stated were not as strong and not as big.  The ACL of today's athletes might actually be stronger than those of the previous generation.

Archived