History of torn ACL injuries

SteelersFanMD

On 8/16/2017 at 7:44 AM, EliteTexan80 said:

I think a more accurate study would be percentages of injuries on various fields and field types - grass vs turf vs grassy turf vs those old baseball/football field (back when multi use stadiums were the rage).

Really really tough to do that study because the injury may be initiated while on sports turf and then completely torn the following week on grass. You may tear the MCL on the practice field which causes instability,  and then that leads to the ACL tear on a different playing surface the following week

I do like the idea of an exoskeleton on the knees/ankles of NFL players...

I have to admit that a lot of progress has been made on how to treat these kinds of injuries, but they still occur not only in football, but basketball, baseball, professional wrestling, and hockey (I am not sure if this particular injury has happened in the National Lacrosse League or even Major League Lacrosse).

29 minutes ago, SteelersFanMD said:

I have to admit that a lot of progress has been made on how to treat these kinds of injuries, but they still occur not only in football, but basketball, baseball, professional wrestling, and hockey (I am not sure if this particular injury has happened in the National Lacrosse League or even Major League Lacrosse).

It happens in any activity that requires physical exertion. Lacrosse, WNBA, gymnastics, cheerleading, mountain biking, chasing your kids around the backyard...

The human body is a complex machine, and can break down doing anything. 

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Really really tough to do that study because the injury may be initiated while on sports turf and then completely torn the following week on grass.

That's a fair statement for the most part. You'll have instances like Reggie Bush, who stepped on a slick surface out of bounds and the knee buckled, but for the most part, it's an injury that is caused by wear and tear to the point of completion compromise.

Archived