bosko1616

2019 Draft Prospects

I'm starting to have wild thoughts after catching up on some film review of college players...

Not a Shocker: Nick Bosa is the crown jewel of the class and is out ahead of any prospect I've reviewed this year.

Shocker: DT/NT Jerry Tillery, Notre Dame is fast becoming my favorite 43 NT/DT prospect in the class. Yes, I see him as a viable and impactful 43 player due to his flexible, explosive first step, elite hand usage, and understanding of leverage.

Because of his size 6'6" 307, most see him as a tremendous 34 DE prospect as a 5-Tech. While he'd be great in that role, he is an elite inside pocket collapsing disrupter in the 43 that would free up Myles from double teams and allow Larry OGB to have more space to berserk and explosively penetrate into the backfield.

Surprise 2: I'd take Jerry Tillery over the likes of Ed Oliver, Derrick Brown, Jeffery Simmons, and Raekwon Davis (all different types of players) for our 43 scheme.

-----------------

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

I'm starting to have wild thoughts after catching up on some film review of college players...

Not a Shocker: Nick Bosa is the crown jewel of the class and is out ahead of any prospect I've reviewed this year.

Shocker: DT/NT Jerry Tillery, Notre Dame is fast becoming my favorite 43 NT/DT prospect in the class. Yes, I see him as a viable and impactful 43 player due to his flexible, explosive first step, elite hand usage, and understanding of leverage.

Because of his size 6'6" 307, most see him as a tremendous 34 DE prospect as a 5-Tech. While he'd be great in that role, he is an elite inside pocket collapsing disrupter in the 43 that would free up Myles from double teams and allow Larry OGB to have more space to berserk and explosively penetrate into the backfield.

Surprise 2: I'd take Jerry Tillery over the likes of Ed Oliver, Derrick Brown, Jeffery Simmons, and Raekwon Davis (all different types of players) for our 43 scheme.

-----------------

You just see Oliver as too similar positionally to Larry O or what’s the reasoning there schematically? 

Agreed on Bosa. No hot take there. He’s one of those that’s also awesome against the run, which isn’t easy to find in pass rushing ends out of college. 

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

-----------------

I’d still rank Oliver and Brown ahead of Tillery for now. Williams is selling me more and more each week. This DL class is ridiculous. If we walk out with either Oliver, Brown, or Q.Williams I’d be beyond happy. I want a dominate Front 7 

3 hours ago, NateDawg said:

You just see Oliver as too similar positionally to Larry O or what’s the reasoning there schematically? 

Agreed on Bosa. No hot take there. He’s one of those that’s also awesome against the run, which isn’t easy to find in pass rushing ends out of college. 

Indeed. It's both a play traits assessment and a schematic consideration.

Imo, the 43NT position between Myles and Larry O needs to be elite at being forceful at the point of attack with the ability to two gape anchor against the run if necessary, be able to collapse the pocket routinely through inside bull rush pressure, as well as have advanced hand-fighting technique, hip flipping flexibility/torque, and the instincts/competitive relentlessness to get home in the pass rush.

Ed Oliver is not as strong at the point of attack as I'd hope for on film this year. He's not an anchor and doesn't need to be. His functional strength and hand fighting technique are not elite in-line with the skill of Aaron Donald despite the many comparisons in that regard.

He's a get up the field artist with tremendous flexibility and quickness.

Oddly enough.... Tillery despite being the biggest DT in the class.. is the quickest and most urgent off the line... even more so than Oliver and Williams who are heralded in that regard. Tillery reminds me so much of a less consistently forceful Fletcher Cox at Miss State. Both big guys that play with great pad level and quickness off the ball.

If we take Oliver, I'll be thrilled as he's a great player, but that would mean that we'd need to move Larry O to NT imo and let Oliver free lance rush with a plan more often in alignment with his skill set.

I think Tillery has the best combination of skills for what we need and ultimately his selection would allow Myles and Larry O the ability to thrive more.

Love Tillery and I'm glad he's getting deserved attention this season. On the Browns, he and Miles would become BFF's. As far as his skillset, I completely agree with Mind, but he's not been an especially consistent guy in college. Jeff Simmons is a little similar as far as inconsistency but he's taken over games more often than Tillery... though I think he's softer. Those might be the most realistic targets. I'd wager Oliver and Q.Williams off the board inside the top 5.

I think Oliver is Aaron Donald-like and even if that's putting two 3 techs out there with Larry O... don't care. We can find a situational run plugger if necessary.

Of which, I love ASU's Renell Wren as a sleeper late round/UDFA DT in this deep class. Tremendous get off and athletic ability but just rarely makes plays.

I think the Browns need upgrades at: DT, OLB, WR, TE, DE, K, CB, OT, S roughly in that order.

Edited by BrownLeader

@BrownLeader

You are absolutely right about Tillery and Simmons regarding the Jekyll and Hyde effect being observed between different game films. This is more so the case with Tillery.

I definitely agree that Simmons is more consistent as well; however, when Tillery takes over a game it's elite.... when Simmons takes over a game it's really good.

Selecting Tillery success depends on a serious Strength and Conditioning commitment, and his selection is a risky one imo only if we take him in the top 10. I think that Tillery is the perfect target in a trade down scenario as is Simmons (he will drop due to a domestic violence case... assuming he passes our evaluations about his character).

He'll likely go somewhere between pick 22-32.  Simmons will likely fall into the same range due to off field concerns.

Ed Oliver will likely go in the 3-10 range...

If we don't trade down and our pick is in that range, then I'd still select Oliver over Tillery and Simmons.

I love Tillery as well, but taking him over Oliver would be the dumbest thing ever. He has almost a 0% chance at being as good as Oliver.

I say tillery is a 5 tech but I don't think his skill would be lost in a 4-3. But the dude could be Richard Seymour in a 3-4, IMO.

It's good to know there is a lot tow work with at the top of the draft in a single position. To the draft needs, can ed Oliver play de on early downs? Or on short situations? Does he have a secondary role? Or is strictly a dt? 

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I love Tillery as well, but taking him over Oliver would be the dumbest thing ever. He has almost a 0% chance at being as good as Oliver.

Not even 0%? Dang.

10 hours ago, Mind Character said:

-----------------

He would be an ideal DT for Greg Williams

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

It's good to know there is a lot tow work with at the top of the draft in a single position. To the draft needs, can ed Oliver play de on early downs? Or on short situations? Does he have a secondary role? Or is strictly a dt? 

why would you want Oliver playin DE on early downs?

43 minutes ago, buno67 said:

why would you want Oliver playin DE on early downs?

I like versatility/want to k ow what type of player he is. 

I dont watch college football, I only hear about the stars

7 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I like versatility/want to k ow what type of player he is. 

I dont watch college football, I only hear about the stars

He is the ideal 3T, you would rather have a DL disrupting the pocket from the middle. Force the DT to roll away towards Garrett or force them roll out the other and take away half the field to pass from. No reason to bump him out. It would be nice to see what him And Obunjobi could do together on the Inside 

If you guys go back and watch, Larry Ogunjobi was slid back to the nose early in the season. Gregg commented that Larry makes his most impact playing a one-tech nose, lined up just outside of the center, the same technique that Ndamukong Suh specialized in for so many years, and the same technique Mean Joe Green revolutionized back in the day.

Rare is the nose who can impact the run and pass. Larry O ain't Suh or Green, but he is impactful against both run and pass. That is one of the exciting things about him on our line. He can get pressure from the nose. We get a pass rushing 3tech and good End opposite Myles, and we could rush 4 consistently and still be effective.

That's not to say Lary doesn't get snaps in the 3tech or zero, but he's mostly in the one from what I've seen and what Gregg talked about weeks back. I'll try to locate the video where he talks about it.

Good news is: we need a true 3tech to compliment Larry O, and this draft is ripe with them.