2019 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

I like what I seen so far from Melvin and Conely, and look forward to Worley..... need a better pass rush, and I think Hankins in the long term answer as a NT

DE: Needs

DT: Hall/Hurst, Hankins

OLB: Whitehead, Need

MLB: Lee

CB: Conely, Melvin, Worley

S: Joseph, Need

I see 4-5 big needs on defense, hopefully Joseph plays at some point

10 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

yeah he is no Earl Thomas which we all hoped... hopefully he can turn it around by the end of the year and shows he can at least be a decent starter... or he is gone next offseason

He may not he but no way nelson should be playing over him. When Joseph's is in he makes some splash plays and is a good Blitzer. Nelson is noticeable only because he is usually guy trailing the wr that caught a long pass.

15 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

yeah he is no Earl Thomas which we all hoped... hopefully he can turn it around by the end of the year and shows he can at least be a decent starter... or he is gone next offseason

He's gone after this year regardless. He's clearly in Gruden's dog house. 

21 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Joseph is a bust. Definitely not worthy of the #14 selection. 

The 2nd part is true, but I don't understand why he doesn't get PT. He did pretty ok at free safety last year and intercepted Alex Smith. He's a good tackler and has range. Still seems like an overthought pick in retrospect, but seems too early to give up IMO.

36 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

It's sucks too because I was one of the bigger Joseph advocates pre-draft. I don't know what is happening but his lack of size isn't what is truly holding him back. He was a ballhawk, massive hitter, good in run support, a leader, etc. Super bummed. 

I struggle to understand it too. He's done none of those things as a pro. I don't want to make assumptions, but have found more often than not when a guy doesn't pan out it's about not putting in the work needed to be great as a pro. 

2 minutes ago, holyghost said:

I struggle to understand it too. He's done none of those things as a pro. I don't want to make assumptions, but have found more often than not when a guy doesn't pan out it's about not putting in the work needed to be great as a pro. 

I thought coaching wasn't putting him in a position to succeed (like most of our players in the past), however the fact he can't even get playing time is worrisome. I hope it's not Gruden being stubborn and refusing to play young guys over veterans.  Who knows.

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I thought coaching wasn't putting him in a position to succeed (like most of our players in the past), however the fact he can't even get playing time is worrisome. I hope it's not Gruden being stubborn and refusing to play young guys over veterans.  Who knows.

Probably a combination of both. I think this may be good for him, if he can get snaps in the coming weeks. I think he can still put it together. Our last defensive staff was a clown show and he's starting his 3rd year in the league. He can't cover tight ends, but that's not his job. Earl Thomas never covers tight ends because he plays FS. Not saying Kujo is Earl Thomas by any means, but he should be played/used in the same fashion.

On 13-9-2018 at 10:49 PM, NYRaider said:

We had what looks to be a strong draft in 2018 and we'll need to continue to build through the draft going forward. While I hated losing Mack as much as anyone, the additional two first-round picks will really help us accelerate our rebuild. 

What would really help the "build trough the draft" is luck into a team desperate to trade up and turn our 4 first round picks into 6. 

Last 2 drafts there were 3 trades where a pick between #10 & #15 fetched a #25 to #30 pick plus an additional 1st round pick (or more).

Having 4 picks likely in that range gives us a position to have more "control" in the draft and hopefully we can turn the Nack trade into even more draft capital. 

12 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Probably a combination of both. I think this may be good for him, if he can get snaps in the coming weeks. I think he can still put it together. Our last defensive staff was a clown show and he's starting his 3rd year in the league. He can't cover tight ends, but that's not his job. Earl Thomas never covers tight ends because he plays FS. Not saying Kujo is Earl Thomas by any means, but he should be played/used in the same fashion.

I don't think I am buying it as a combination. He got playing time under the last staff. In retrospect it was due to the bare cupboard of an awful unit with noone better than him. But nothing about his play on the field suggested that he was good enough then that he is being unfairly benched now. If anything it says that Gruden can clearly see his lack of production and limited fit (I've said before that he is a 2 down LB in a CB's body). And that the prior staff, like they were in many other cases, were blind to seeing the glaring lack of production from many players they gave ample playing time to.

All in all, he's not just in a doghouse because he's being picked on. He's produced next to nothing as a 1st round safety. And really hasn't shown a penchant for anything more than some decent sticky tackling run support. He's done nothing in all the other phases of the game under both staffs.

4 hours ago, roi34 said:

Reggie needs to get real value for picks. I'm a fan of Reggie personally but his trades have been horrible.

I believe RM should have zero control over the draft until day three and under no circumstances negotiate trades.  We have been getting hosed for a few years now.  When he drafts in the early rounds he gets anxious like Carr in the pocket and as soon as he hears a rumor that a player he likes is getting looks from upcoming teams he pulls the trigger a round or four to early.  With trades he seems to settle that the trade is going to happen and is going to take the best offer.  It is his lack of being able to walk away that allows teams to take advantage of him.  Sometimes you have to be willing to say no to everyone.  Gruden with GM powers is now just complicating the situation, he is worse than RM, and his ego will be his biggest obstacle.

As far as KJ and Nelson are concerned there is zero reason for Nelson to be on the field and Joseph sitting on the bench.  Nelson being on the team has limited Joseph's development since he got here.  Nelson is not capable of playing safety anymore.  He makes a good play once in a while but he gets beat a few times for every play he makes.  I would rather see the young kid make a mistake and have some ability to make up for it than see the vet make a mistake and not be able to recover.  Joseph can still learn also.  Just keep him away from TEs please.

Archived