2019 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

26 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

At 4, it's a no brainer. Doubt he last there. I see him going 2 to SF assuming 'zona picks Bosa.

Niners also have Buckner, Armstead and Thomas, so they could go Josh Allen if he shows out! Jets have to be locked on OT. No brainers are what this team needs.

39 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I'm all in on this take. Allen to me wins with athleticism and not technique. Which is fine, because you can teach and learn technique, but at 4 overall I prefer someone out of the box who can make a difference. You can't win with speed alone on the next level. Technique has to be there, which is why Bosa is so far ahead in this class. 

Saw a recent comparison for Allen to Bruce Irvin and I can't unsee it now. Similar players. Can rush the passer, can cover, athletic but not polished technique wise. Allen looks like a secondary pass rusher to me. 

Assuming you have coaches that can get players to want to do it correctly and the players are capable of rewiring the neuro connections to do the body movements correctly.  That is probably why Parker is having a hard time on the right.  Some players have an easier time than others which is why playing Miller on the left would have been a better choice this year.

1. Devin White, MLB LSU  
1. Jonah Williams, RT Alabama 
1. Rashan Gary, DE Michigan            
2. N’Keal Harry, WR Arizona State      
3. Marquise Brown, WR Oklahoma    
4. Erik McCoy, C/G Texas A&M           
5. LJ Scott, RB Michigan State              

QB: Derek Carr, AJ McCarron
RB: Telvin Coleman, Doug Martin, LJ Scott (Michigan State)
FB: Kevin Smith
WR: N’Keal Harry (ASU), Chris Conley
WR: Jordy Nelson, Marcel Ateman
Slot/Weapon: Marquise Brown (Oklahoma)
TE: Jared Cook, Lee Smith, Maxx Williams
LT: Kolton Miller, David Sharpe
LG: Kelechi Osemele
C: Rodney Hudson, Erik McCoy (Texas A&M)
RG: Gabe Jackson
RT: Jonah Williams, Brandon Parker

DE: Rashan Gary (Michigan), Frostee Rucker
1T: Jonathan Hankins, Justin Ellis
3T: Maurice Hurst, PJ Hall
EDGE: Frank Clark, Arden Key
SLB: Anthony Barr, Marquel Lee
MLB: Devin White (LSU), Jason Cambinda
WLB: Tahir Whitehead, Nicholas Morrow
CB: Gareon Conley, Daryl Worley
CB: Darqueze Dennard, Nick Nelson
Nickel: Bashaud Breeland
FS: Adrian Amos, Ibraheim Campbell
SS: Karl Joseph

LS: Andrew DaPaola
K: Daniel Carlson
P: Johnny Townsend

First draft, and I'd like something like this.

1 hour ago, raidr4life said:

Niners also have Buckner, Armstead and Thomas, so they could go Josh Allen if he shows out! Jets have to be locked on OT. No brainers are what this team needs.

Thomas has been a disappointment and benched. The 9ers need pass rush above everything else. 

Q Williams is seen as the best interior pass rusher since Donald. So if Bosa is gone, can't see 9ers passing on him. That said, it's early and their is a ton of time to over think this.

7 minutes ago, Trojan said:

1. Devin White, MLB LSU  
1. Jonah Williams, RT Alabama 
1. Rashan Gary, DE Michigan            
2. N’Keal Harry, WR Arizona State      
3. Marquise Brown, WR Oklahoma    
4. Erik McCoy, C/G Texas A&M           
5. LJ Scott, RB Michigan State   

Williams is OT1 and a top 10 pick most likely. If he fell to the 20's and projected at RT, something went horribly wrong for him

49 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Thomas has been a disappointment and benched. The 9ers need pass rush above everything else. 

Q Williams is seen as the best interior pass rusher since Donald. So if Bosa is gone, can't see 9ers passing on him. That said, it's early and their is a ton of time to over think this.

Thomas played well when moved inside, but still a trade is possible because some Qb's will start to get noticed and # 2 is the first real opportunity for trade.

52 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Williams is OT1 and a top 10 pick most likely. If he fell to the 20's and projected at RT, something went horribly wrong for him

I disagree at this point. Physically he has shorter arms. He has good control over his body, but with the shorter arms thing he often becomes out of position to not lose the edge. He is good has great control over his body, he is a good technician but not perfect. For example he holds his hands low and punches late as a result which compounds with the arm length. He is Reily Reiff to me, which is a good pick as a prospect for the right side with left side upside. I like his approach to film study and personality a lot. I see the highest point he could go is the Vikings,.

Would be hilarious if the Niners took another DT. Swear it would be the fourth time in a row in the first round it happened. Think Williams and Bosa have to be in contention for the number one pick. Can’t see Josh Allen falling to 4 with pass rushing teams like Niners and Jets ahead of Oakland. Might need to hope that Bosa goes one and Williams falls to 4. Or you go with Oliver at 4 and build him up. 

Another player that I think will rise up draft boards and be a top 5 pick possibly is Rashan Gary. I think he offers a lot more then what he did in Michigan. Didn’t think the scheme he was in fit him the best. Would be another guy at 4 I would really like. 

I would be incredibly happy with Josh Allen at 4.  Guy has elite get off, speed, bend, and size.  Plus he's fantastic in space and great in coverage if we want to get creative with him.

Sure he's not Bosa in that he's not as refined but 99% of all college pass rushers dont have a developed set of pass rushing moves.  With his size/power/explosion you can teach him a speed to power & inside counter move pretty easily.  He's got rare pass rushing traits and just obliterated the entire SEC this year.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

People were saying similar things about Conner Williams this time last year. A lot depends on his athleticism and arm length and we know Cable favors the uber athletic OL which I don't think Jonah is.

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

While you aren't wrong, this would be an acknowledgment of failure as far as drafting thomas at 3 overall, buckner in the top 10, and then taking another interior guy. after taking armstead the year before that. Sure they could do it, but I have a feeling the 49ers will be exploring trades down and the like. Too many holes for them to take an interior rusher.

If we go Devin White with our first pick I would hope that it's after we trade back to pickup another second round pick at least.  If we did get Q. Williams at least our interior pass rush would be collapsing pockets.  Hopefully Frank Clark tests free agency and we can make him our big splash pickup.  F. Clark, Q. Williams, M. Hurst, A. Key, and another edge rusher from the draft would be pretty sweet.  Maybe M. Sweat at the end of the first round.  I know the mentality should be BPA but I really think we'd do just fine with Q. Williams and M. Sweat in the first round.  The other pick could definitely be BPA, hopefully the BPA just so happens to be a FS, LB, or WR.  I don't want to draft an OL in the first two rounds.

Archived