Showdown: Best WR: Cris Carter V Michael Irvin V Antonio Brown V Tory Holt

mdonnelly21

36 members have voted

1. 1. Greater WR of All Time?

Irvin had a few penalties installed because of him. In an era where the league was just starting to come around to granting offenses more and more favorable rules. Irvin almost single handily derailed it with his most iconic move, the push off.

Other guys had better stats obviously. But I just voted Irvin cause he was awesome.

7 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Irvin had a few penalties installed because of him. In an era where the league was just starting to come around to granting offenses more and more favorable rules. Irvin almost single handily derailed it with his most iconic move, the push off.

Other guys had better stats obviously. But I just voted Irvin cause he was awesome.

Conversely, Cris Carter was the first WR I've seen that used the sideline like a legitimate weapon - nothing illegal about it, nothing to legislate against. DBs would start letting up thinking a pass was out of bounds and, here comes Carter, dragging two toes and using his baseball mitt-like hands to pull the pass back inbounds for a completion.

Carter is MUCH higher than 8th on the list, but given that's how the polling has gone, I'll vote him.

Even though I hate Irvin, I have to give this one to him.  Only him and Holt have rings, and I considered Irvin to be the better player out of the two when he was in his prime.  Let's not forget, Irvin produced at a high level statistically in the 90s with a run first offense.  If they had thrown the ball 30-40 times a game instead, he would have put up even more absurd numbers 

On 9/3/2018 at 8:57 PM, mdonnelly21 said:

So Antonio Brown could be a top 5 WR in the next 2 seasons :o 

It's hard to ever guarantee how long someone would be good for, but if Brown has two more seasons that are in-line with his average numbers over the last 5, then yeah I'd probably have no problem seeing him as a top 5 WR.

Such uniquely different skill-sets. CC was an unbelievable red zone threat with the best hands I've ever seen. On 3rd down/in the Red Zone, he was borderline unstoppable. He was a human highlight reel when it came to catching the football. The closest thing I've seen to him is Larry Fitz (6'3, big bodied, not overly fast/explosive but fast/explosive enough, with freakish ability to catch the ball and score TDs). Both productive in their late 30s.

Prime Irvin was great but he was done by the time he was 32.

Also, the fact that CC has lasted this long is criminal. No offense, but you guys have no idea how good that guy was.

Archived