Pre-injury J.J. Watt vs. prime Reggie White  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Pre-injury J.J. Watt vs. prime Reggie White

• Pre-injury J.J. Watt
    • Prime Reggie White

Just now, Packerraymond said:

In Reggie's best year the passing attempt top 10 ranges from 389-463

In Watts it was 582-659.

True, but I think the rules protecting quarterbacks outweigh the passing attempts.  At worst they're a push, so Watt's playmaking ability sets him apart in my opinion. 

6 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

White had 70 sacks in a four year stretch.
Watt had 69 sacks in a four year stretch plus an 80 yard INT return and 15 forced fumbles in an era in which quarterbacks are more protected than certain human rights. 

If we define prime as best four years, it was Watt without question. 

No it's not, not even remotely accurate.

Reggie played in a Era where you pounded the Rock 30+ times a game yet still he somehow put up 70 sacks and averaged 102 tackles. Hell they didn't even calculate Assist's back then. Watt plays in a Pass Wacky era where QB are throwing 65-70% of the time. 

I love how you nitpick the 15 FFB 80yd TD for JJ but don't post the 13FFB and 70 yd TD Reggie had? Once again in a smash mouth era with less opportunity in the passing game!

Watt was Great, Phenomenal even best I've watch live since  White but He wasn't Reggie aka "The GOAT" ,Period!

On 05/09/2018 at 3:51 PM, dtait93 said:

White for me, but just looking at some of his years outside his prime, like 1998 for example, he had 16 sacks that year...at age 37 holy **** lol that dude was a monster.

But yeah you can't go wrong with either. JJ's 2012-15 seasons were absolutely astonishing. However, like a few have already stated if he didn't get injured you just have to wonder watt could have been.

that was obviously too subtle for most. Not me though ;) hehehe 

White might have been better at a specific role (i.e pass rushing) but Watt proved he was a better overall/all-round player in his dominant seasons. You're talking across all positions on the line, vs run, vs pass, knockdowns (8 in one game), most pressures ever seen, most defensive stops in a season, tackles behind the line....etc. 

"He has been so dominant for the Texans that they have changed his role within the defense, evolving it to allow him to truly dominate as a pass-rusher with the best possible opportunities. He began life as a ‘regular’ 3-4 defensive end, albeit one in a one-gap scheme that would see him targeting space rather than specific blockers. At the beginning of his career he would have been an analogous player to Calais Campbell, but he has never played a role like Ty Warren once did in New England – the big, two-gapping 3-4 end."

"Watt is one of the most devastating pass-rushers in the entire league, and it’s easy to forget that he is primarily an interior lineman. The rate at which he is generating pressure (once every 6.1 rushes) is akin to Dwight Freeney in his prime.

To add to his legend, he is every bit as good against the run as he is the pass, primarily because he plays it in exactly the same way – shoots into the backfield and rains down destruction on the play."

"His numbers across the board are ludicrous, posting more combined hits and sacks than Sheldon Richardson, Muhammad Wilkerson, Calais Campbell and Fletcher Cox combined, for example, and he remains the best player in football, and the top player on the PFF Top 101. Now for a third year running."

But, I do wonder how White would grade today. Can't really compare.

On 9/5/2018 at 5:42 PM, Nabbs4u said:

Reggie played in a Era where you pounded the Rock 30+ times a game yet still he somehow put up 70 sacks and averaged 102 tackles. Hell they didn't even calculate Assist's back then. Watt plays in a Pass Wacky era where QB are throwing 65-70% of the time. 

I love how you nitpick the 15 FFB 80yd TD for JJ but don't post the 13FFB and 70 yd TD Reggie had? Once again in a smash mouth era with less opportunity in the passing game!

Watt was Great, Phenomenal even best I've watch live since  White but He wasn't Reggie aka "The GOAT" ,Period!

How many QB hits, hurries, TFL? Watt was dominating games and pushed for league MVP. I think his current run of injuries has people confused on what he did.

On 9/5/2018 at 6:42 PM, Nabbs4u said:

Weren’t offensive linemen smaller back in the the day?

34 minutes ago, amazingandre said:

How many QB hits, hurries, TFL? Watt was dominating games and pushed for league MVP. I think his current run of injuries has people confused on what he did.

They didn't keep track of those stats back then. So that's like suggesting Deacon Jones wasn't one of the best Sack Artist in NFL history because hey ,his stats don't support that.

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Weren’t offensive linemen smaller back in the the day?

I bet there ends up being more HOF Olineman during Reggie White era yhen JJ Watts. Unless you're suggesting many of them couldn't play in today's game?

It's basically the same argument people have made about Jim Brown not being the GOAT because of the size and athletism of Defensive players back when he played too?

Never mind how much better both players could of been in today's game with modern technology, advancements in sports science, nutrition, rehab therapy ,the works.

Reggie would dominate in today's game too.

21 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I bet there ends up being more HOF Olineman from the 80's to 00's then 2000-2020. Unless you're suggesting many of them couldn't play in today's game?

It's basically the same argument people have made about Jim Brown not being the GOAT because of the size and athletism of Defensive players back when he played too?

Never mind how much better both players could of been in today's game with modern technology, advancements in sports science, nutrition, rehab therapy ,the works.

Reggie would dominate in today's game too.

Alright, I mean you could keep assuming...

But yeah, offensive linemen were smaller back then (googled shortly after asking). White dwarfed most of them. 

2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Alright, I mean you could keep assuming...

But yeah, offensive linemen were smaller back then (googled shortly after asking). White dwarfed most of them. 

Also had to correct that post because technically White played in the 2000's as well. 

8 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Also had to correct that post because technically White played in the 2000's as well. 

It’s fine, it didn’t really pertain to my comment. Although it’s sort of obvious that a guy who hasn’t played in ~20 years will have more HOF linemen compared to a guy who’s still in the league. 

I don’t like the “so and so would’ve dominated in so and so’s era” debates. I’m just adding that White was physically dominant against smaller players.

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

It’s fine, it didn’t really pertain to my comment. Although it’s sort of obvious that a guy who hasn’t played in ~20 years will have more HOF linemen compared to a guy who’s still in the league. 

I don’t like the “so and so would’ve dominated in so and so’s era” debates. I’m just adding that White was physically dominant against smaller players.

Think you misunderstood my post. I'm saying after Watt retires there will have been less HOF Olineman inducted from his Era, then Reggie's. There is literally nothing from Reggie White's game, that wouldn't translate to this or any Era. Nothing! That's all.

Any suggestion of him playing  against smaller players as to being the reason why he was so dominate would be absurd. He'd be a Man amongst Boys today as well.

19 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Think you misunderstood my post. I'm saying after Watt retires there will have been less HOF Olineman inducted from his Era, then Reggie's. There is literally nothing from Reggie White's game, that wouldn't translate to this or any Era. Nothing! That's all.

Any suggestion of him playing  against smaller players as to being the reason why he was so dominate would be absurd. He'd be a Man amongst Boys today as well.

Cool, never did.

Again, just stating the fact that Reggie did his work vs smaller players. 

49 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:
1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

Cool, never did.

Again, just stating the fact that Reggie did his work vs smaller players. 

So out of curiosity, what was your point in making that distinction if not to discredit some of his dominance?

Archived