2018 Roster

lumberjackchris

2 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

Yippee - we promoted Roderick Johnson who was abysmal this pre-season at OT, yes worse than Kendall Lamm. Austin Howard, Chris Clark, Cornelius Lucas all brought in, but we stuck with the devil we know.   No word yet on Kevin Johnson, but this one is complicated since we were dumb enough to pick up his option meaning we are on the hook for close to $10m if he is put on IR and can't pass a physical before next year.  As a reminder, we were ready to sign Aaron Williams last year, but nobody would pass him after his concussion issues.   Feel bad for the guy, but he simply doesn't need to play football anymore.  The guy's frame doesn't seem built for contact and his horrific technique is going to get him killed.  He didn't seem "all there" this week as his errors were almost all mental.   

Update - We sent KJ30 to IR.  Can return week 10, but that didn't seem to work out so well for Fido under similar circumstances last year.

So much this.

Texans signed CB Shareece Wright, formerly of the Raiders.

Shareece Wright signing is a fair one although Breeland and Amerson are younger (26) with better pedigrees than Wright (31), but both are reclamation projects physically and mentally.  Wright fits the profile of almost all of our other CBs in that he's a bit undersized, not a particularly good one on one defender, but can hold his own in a zone and is a hard tackler.  He had wheels coming out of USC (4.46) but it's doubtful he still moves like that.  He started 5 games and played in 12 for the Bills last year, so I suspect Gaine knows what he's getting here.  He started 16 games over the two years before that in Balt and was a full-time starter in SD before that, so this is a veteran with plenty of experience.  Personally, I support a move like this for a vet over the growing pains Chachere would go thru as looking better vs. the Cowboys WRs in pre-season should really be used as a barometer.

I think Webster ends up as our 2nd outside corner the bulk of the season, but he's still recovering from his achilles and may not be ready for a few more weeks, so I think we patchwork with Reid/Bademosi while trying to keep Colvin in the slot and Kareem back at FS.  The Titans are an ideal opponent to face right now as Corey Davis is the only deep threat and can be handled by Joseph/Mathieu.  Walker going down is timely as Jonnu Smith and Luke Stocker can be handled by Cole/Cunningham.  Taywan Taylor and Rishard Matthews aren't the type of receivers that should hurt us unless we decide to stick Kareem back outside and draw 40 yard PI penalties.  

Personally, I'd feel better if we added an experienced RT as well (Howard/Clark/Pasztor/Lucas) vs. Roderick Johnson and I thought Chad Slade was a far better candidate for promotion, but maybe - just maybe we'll look to upgrade Lamm with one of the others.  Davenport and Rankin both looked decent in preseason and both got burned for sacks Sunday, so I can't imagine how that translates with Lamm and RJ being turnstiles all PS.  

• 2 weeks later...

Dylan Cole and Bruce Ellington both moved to IR - team moves David Sharpe to the 53, sign OLB Daeshon Hall.

Given how bad Cunningham looked, losing Cole is very bad. Ellington stings as well, because Keke Coutee is probably still dealing with a hamstring.

I like Daeshon Hall as a project, but he's pretty redundant with Duke as he's pretty much just a pass rusher (sending a message to Clowney and Mercilus perhaps, hmm)? Personally, I'd be bringing back one of our pre season LB's who were solid and good special teamers (Gilchrist, Lewis, Keyes, Bellamy).  I suspect Scarlett and Kalambayi bump up to take some of Cole's snaps, but we need to see a whole lot more of Justin Reid covering RBs and TEs as Cunningham is getting schooled and Ebron and Doyle (if healthy) are solid.  Has anyone seen Jamerson or AJ Moore on the field?  I did note a Buddy Howell sighting on ST's last week.

BTW - With Kelemete hurt and Mancz starting (which was an improvement) we currently do not have a single backup C/G on the roster.  I'd much prefer Fuller or Slade up here who at least held up vs. some low end starters and 2nd teamers in PS vs. Johnson or Lamm who got destroyed by 4th-5th stringers on a team featuring Rankin and Davenport.  Not going to restate the obvious at how got awful Davenport (5 penalties-4 accepted, 5 pressures) Rankin (8 pressures, 2 penalties, literally knocked on his butt twice) were in pass protection this week, but Fulton and Mancz were equally bad in run blocking (but solid pass pro) and Martin has racked up almost as many penalties as Davenport which is dumbfounding for a Center. Devlin Rocks!

44 minutes ago, MightyMouse07 said:

Any update on Foreman's achilles rehab? Miller hasn't been that impressive. 

Nothing - it's actually been very quiet after he was placed on PUP before the season. I wouldn't be surprised if he's placed on IR this season, Achilles injuries are brutal to come back from.

I hope we consider signing Jalen Myrick (Vikings PS) and / or Emmanuel Moseley (Niners PS) --> Cut S A.J. Moore

Also bring back Quessenberry to replace Lamm.

Sign a real RT (Pasztor)  --> Sharpe back to PS

But let's celebrate this victory over the Southern OK Cowbugs a lil longer!

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Wright has been a solid CB for us. He was a good pick up. Hes nothing great, but he was an upgrade over Kevin Johnson

Hell, I'll go as far as to say he's the best man to man corner we've had since prime JonJo and Bouye '16.  Dude is the one corner who actually has the stones to play tight coverage and break up passes vs. cushion and tackle. Was sad to see Webster go down so soon as he's a similar tight coverage guy - he lasted 2 snaps. BTW - Justin Reid played nearly every snap again and is playing at all-rookie team level.  Bademosi has 1 snap on defense this season which is half of what Deandre Hopkins has (2).  AJ Moore and Natrell Jamerson have not played a single defensive snap, but I can't argue with what we are doing on special teams.

Archived