2018 Roster

lumberjackchris

21 hours ago, amazingandre said:

Any corners out there we can trade for?

A Patrick Peterson deal would transform this franchise.  I'd throw the Seahawks 2nd rounder out there for him in a heartbeat.  Would probably need to sweeten the pot a bit with another middle rounder, but the Cards are going nowhere before his deal is up in 2020 and he's 28.  They eat almost nothing in a trade ($3.9 mill hit, but saves $11m prorated by game this year,  $11m in 19, $12m in 20).  Timing works perfectly for us as we have $21m burning a hole in our pocket this year and $86m next year (Clowney will get a chunk of that).  Watson will certainly get 5th year option in 2021 and resigned for $100m+ so window is perfect!   I'd be shocked if we could pull it off, but with Honey Badger seemingly turning into our locker room leader, Pat Pete would be an amazing fit as that pairing had both playing at their peak.  

FYI - Kayvon Webster to IR after 2 snaps.  Come on Gaine, enough with the reclamation projects or pipedreams.  Go get a proven CB, draft a tackle, fire the OC and we've got legit Super Bowl potential within 2-3 years.

27 minutes ago, Apollo Stallion said:

A Patrick Peterson deal would transform this franchise.  I'd throw the Seahawks 2nd rounder out there for him in a heartbeat.  Would probably need to sweeten the pot a bit with another middle rounder, but the Cards are going nowhere before his deal is up in 2020 and he's 28.  They eat almost nothing in a trade ($3.9 mill hit, but saves $11m prorated by game this year,  $11m in 19, $12m in 20).  Timing works perfectly for us as we have $21m burning a hole in our pocket this year and $86m next year (Clowney will get a chunk of that).  Watson will certainly get 5th year option in 2021 and resigned for $100m+ so window is perfect!   I'd be shocked if we could pull it off, but with Honey Badger seemingly turning into our locker room leader, Pat Pete would be an amazing fit as that pairing had both playing at their peak.  

FYI - Kayvon Webster to IR after 2 snaps.  Come on Gaine, enough with the reclamation projects or pipedreams.  Go get a proven CB, draft a tackle, fire the OC and we've got legit Super Bowl potential within 2-3 years.

I’d give them a 1st and Clowney 

So am I the only one who misses Troymaine Pope?  Dude was electric in preseason as our receiving back which has been totally absent from our gameplan in the regular season.  I think Blue has proven to be worth keeping and Ervin has been solid in returns, but what is the point of this Buddy Howell fellow who is a special teams afterthought with 1 tackle?   Blue is an abysmal receiver and nearly got Deshaun killed missing a blitz pickup on the int. Worse still that stupid play where we have Lamar Miller lined up wide (which fools nobody) now has Blue out at receiver which is just laughable.  If we are going to do this shotgun stuff in the red zone, Pope is way more of a threat to actually do something out wide and unlike Blue can actually catch a swing pass. I don't want to rock the boat with special teams rolling, but especially with Miller dinged up, Pope would be an asset we should reconsider.

BTW - Side note for anyone thinking Foreman is going to come back and set the world on fire.  NO running back has EVER effectively returned from a ruptured achilles.  None.  It is a career killer as it is the largest tendon in the body and is where explosiveness comes from.  There is a reason we haven't heard squat about him.  He may suit up this season, but he made about 4 plays last year and they were all explosive plays with dozens of no gains in between.  Take away the explosiveness and you don't have much. 

1 hour ago, Apollo Stallion said:

BTW - Side note for anyone thinking Foreman is going to come back and set the world on fire.  NO running back has EVER effectively returned from a ruptured achilles.  None.  It is a career killer as it is the largest tendon in the body and is where explosiveness comes from.  There is a reason we haven't heard squat about him.  He may suit up this season, but he made about 4 plays last year and they were all explosive plays with dozens of no gains in between.  Take away the explosiveness and you don't have much. 

To be fair - how big is the sample size of RBs who have torn their achilles? The Google machine tells me Mikel Leshoure, Andre Brown, Lendale White and Edgar Bennett are names of note, none of which were really that good to begin with. Those three not returning to form isn't exactly breaking news - Leshoure, Brown and White were JAGs pre-injury, and Bennett played back when ACLs were potential career enders. 

(EDIT - Arian Foster! How can I forget? But let's not pretend that Foster was a picture of health when his went out. He was dealing with countless injuries before his ankle blew out).

If you look at WR (which requires just as much explosiveness and an additional bit of agility to be successful) you'll see guys like Demaryius Thomas and Michael Crabtree come back effectively. If you also look at Terrell Suggs - a DE, but a speed rusher vs a power rusher - he made his return and remained relatively effective.

This isn't some type of endorsement for Foreman - every injury is different, no two bodies are the same, etc. So it's reasonable to believe that Foreman is done. But trying to paint this as a done deal because of those who never returned could be just as short sighted.

On 10/9/2018 at 6:18 PM, Apollo Stallion said:
On 10/8/2018 at 8:48 PM, amazingandre said:

Any corners out there we can trade for?

A Patrick Peterson deal would transform this franchise.

This is getting some momentum. Cardinals are going to be active and Peterson's the big name to keep an eye out for (Haasan Riddick and Deone Buchanan are also rumored to be on the market).

Gaine and O'Brien need to make that call. We have the draft assets to get a deal done, so if Peterson is traded to any other team, it's an immense failure on their part. Peterson is significantly better than any CB we'll have a chance at in FA or draft next off-season, and we have the cap space to extend him by a few years plus sign his buddy Tyrann Mathieu to an extension. Then, our sole focus could be OL in the off-season.

55 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This is getting some momentum. Cardinals are going to be active and Peterson's the big name to keep an eye out for (Haasan Riddick and Deone Buchanan are also rumored to be on the market).

Gaine and O'Brien need to make that call. We have the draft assets to get a deal done, so if Peterson is traded to any other team, it's an immense failure on their part. Peterson is significantly better than any CB we'll have a chance at in FA or draft next off-season, and we have the cap space to extend him by a few years plus sign his buddy Tyrann Mathieu to an extension. Then, our sole focus could be OL in the off-season.

They can have Clowney for PP

O'Brien hinted that D'Onta Foreman isn't ready to come off of PUP yet - cited that we'd have 21 days to make a decision on him in terms of activating him, which tells me we're a month out from seeing him.

At this point, IR him and look to the waiver wire for a RB. Even if Foreman is ready for 2019, RB has to be a higher priority next draft.

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

O'Brien hinted that D'Onta Foreman isn't ready to come off of PUP yet - cited that we'd have 21 days to make a decision on him in terms of activating him, which tells me we're a month out from seeing him.

At this point, IR him and look to the waiver wire for a RB. Even if Foreman is ready for 2019, RB has to be a higher priority next draft.

RB is not really a need. Miller and Blue are fine, we dont need to look to the waiver wire. Foreman will most likely never be a good RB now. We definitely need to go RB in the 3rd or 4th round at the latest. 

1 minute ago, Pastor Dillon said:

RB is not really a need. Miller and Blue are fine, we dont need to look to the waiver wire. Foreman will most likely never be a good RB now. We definitely need to go RB in the 3rd or 4th round at the latest. 

I'm just worried about any injury that would take Miller or Blue down (Miller has been playing injured as-is).

Doesn't have to be a big name - as @Apollo Stallion mentioned, Troymaine Pope is still looking for work.

Archived