2018 Roster

lumberjackchris

23 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

WR is a rough spot. We need a 3rd WR this year to make a playoff push with. But do we really want a guy we have to extend when we have all 3 of our guys healthy? Then again, when was the last time we had 3 healthy WRs?

the more weapons for Watson the better.  I personally wouldn't trade a 4th for 8 games of Tate when this team aint a SB contender but that's just me.  I wouldn't mind Thomas for a 5th rounder though. 

23 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Thomas can be cut after this season, but would be 3.5 million in dead cap. He would be worth like 14 million if we kept him. 

Given that we'll have $86mm in cap, I'm not overly worried. If Thomas can do some good with guys like Simian, Lynch and Keenum, he'll do great with Watson.

Looking into Thomas with that 2nd year on his deal also tells me we're probably not going to pick up the 5th year option on Fuller next off-season - which I'm okay with.

46 minutes ago, Marco79 said:

Glad they did something. Doesn't replace what Fuller offers, but is definitely a nice add.

It's not what I thought either, but Thomas is a big target who still has some juice. Should be a nice addition to the offense, can draw coverage away from Hopkins and make plays on his own.

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

Given that we'll have $86mm in cap, I'm not overly worried. If Thomas can do some good with guys like Simian, Lynch and Keenum, he'll do great with Watson.

Looking into Thomas with that 2nd year on his deal also tells me we're probably not going to pick up the 5th year option on Fuller next off-season - which I'm okay with.

No cap hit for team receiving player on trades, folks.  Trading team essentially pays off entire bonus when player leaves and takes cap hit for remaining bonus split between current year and next  - Broncos take $7.5 hit this year and $3.5 next year on his bonus.   Costs us $4.5 million prorated salary this year for remaining salary, no bonus.  He under contract for next year for $14m straight salary, but can be cut with no hit. If he finishes strong with us, we could easily restructure into new deal with some guaranteed $ for him.  We absolutely will pick up Fuller's 5th year option - Thomas deal has no bearing on it.

27 minutes ago, Apollo Stallion said:

No cap hit for team receiving player on trades, folks.  Trading team essentially pays off entire bonus when player leaves and takes cap hit for remaining bonus split between current year and next  - Broncos take $7.5 hit this year and $3.5 next year on his bonus.   Costs us $4.5 million prorated salary this year for remaining salary, no bonus.  He under contract for next year for $14m straight salary, but can be cut with no hit. If he finishes strong with us, we could easily restructure into new deal with some guaranteed $ for him.  We absolutely will pick up Fuller's 5th year option - Thomas deal has no bearing on it.

Not to mention we have plenty of money to go around. Even if they sign Clowney. If Thomas plays well I could see a 2-3 year extension with up front guarantees. 

On 10/30/2018 at 4:49 PM, jch1911 said:

Need to put a waiver claim on him right Fkn now

Jamon Brown went to Giants.  Texans were not 1 of 5 teams to put a bid on him :(

According to Field Yates of ESPN, the Packers, Giants, Chicago Bears, Baltimore Ravens and Tennessee Titans all put in a claim.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/01/packers-put-in-failed-waiver-claim-on-g-jamon-brown/

1 hour ago, jch1911 said:

Jamon Brown went to Giants.  Texans were not 1 of 5 teams to put a bid on him :(

According to Field Yates of ESPN, the Packers, Giants, Chicago Bears, Baltimore Ravens and Tennessee Titans all put in a claim.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/01/packers-put-in-failed-waiver-claim-on-g-jamon-brown/

Yeah, we're not so big on the stoners.  Got arrested for DUI, marijuana possession, paraphernalia, speeding, reckless driving.  Supposedly he is a pretty good guy aside from this incident, but him not being able to win his job back and getting cut is a little concerning.  I suspect the Giants got a steal here if his head is on straight.

1 hour ago, Apollo Stallion said:

Yeah, we're not so big on the stoners.  Got arrested for DUI, marijuana possession, paraphernalia, speeding, reckless driving.  Supposedly he is a pretty good guy aside from this incident, but him not being able to win his job back and getting cut is a little concerning.  I suspect the Giants got a steal here if his head is on straight.

The getting cut part was a bit strange (he was cut to make room for Dante Fowler Jr; He could have been traded, but I think the time finding a buyer could have interfered with the Fowler trade, as that came in minutes before the deadline). Nonetheless, very odd.

Getting his job back is a bit different - Austin Blythe has taken over that spot at G, and he's been the highest rated G in the NFL per PFF. Now, PFF isn't exactly the utmost authority and their grades can vary from time to time, but it's still a pretty good indicator that Blythe wasn't losing his job to anyone. 

I'm not up in arms over not placing a claim, but Brown has experience at both G positions as well as RT. He was an idea fit for us in that respect.

On 10/30/2018 at 4:40 PM, Apollo Stallion said:

This is solid information and does poopoo on my theory of WHY, but - do we pick up a 5th year for a guy who can't stay healthy? I think we've covered the risk of doing so with Kevin Johnson. With Fuller's injury history, it's pretty much certain that the 5th year will be guaranteed.

You also have to figure, how does the depth chart play out? Do you rotate Fuller and Thomas at #2? Both will be commanding salaries that are much higher than necessary for platoon guys. Do you rotate Fuller and Keke Coutee, playing Fuller at a spot he might not be able to pick up? Do you push Fuller down to the #3 and Coutee as the #4?

Don't get me wrong, it's a great "problem" to have - but it's still points to discuss.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

This is solid information and does poopoo on my theory of WHY, but - do we pick up a 5th year for a guy who can't stay healthy? I think we've covered the risk of doing so with Kevin Johnson. With Fuller's injury history, it's pretty much certain that the 5th year will be guaranteed.

You also have to figure, how does the depth chart play out? Do you rotate Fuller and Thomas at #2? Both will be commanding salaries that are much higher than necessary for platoon guys. Do you rotate Fuller and Keke Coutee, playing Fuller at a spot he might not be able to pick up? Do you push Fuller down to the #3 and Coutee as the #4?

Don't get me wrong, it's a great "problem" to have - but it's still points to discuss.

As a reminder, Fuller is in year 3, so while we would have to pick up his 5th year option this offseason, he'll only be making $3.2 million in 2019 which is what we're paying Bademosi to be a gunner.  2020 is when the 5th year option kicks in which is an average of #3-#25 salaries at the position (Mike Evans $20m thru Albert Wilson $8m).  I didn't do the math, but eyeballing it $11 million looks close.  Option is picked up before the draft, but is guaranteed for injury only (aka as long as he passes a physical, he can still get cut with no cap hit).  Just for reference, Donte Moncrief was signed to a 1 year deal for $9.6million this offseason, Allen Robinson got 3 years/$42 million, Paul Richardson got 5 / $40 million, so $10m for an injury prone Fuller is still a discount.   

We have the cap to just keep DT for 2019 at $14m, but unless he lights things up that's over market value for a 31 year old, but not by as much as you think.   Jordy Nelson got 2 / $14m but he's 2 years older with a significant injury history. The Bucs brought in Desean Jackson at 31 for 3 / $33.  Garcon got 5 / 47.5 at 31.  I'm betting DT is looking at 3/years $30 millionish.  We could convert his $14 mil to bonus and add 2 years for $14 more which means only $4.6 in 2020 and 21 which is good for us and for him as he's less likely to get cut to save $4.6.  

I don't think Coutee is much of a factor as he's a 4th rounder getting paid nothing (4 years / $3.1 million) and has been healthy for 3 weeks this year, so he really shouldn't factor into any salary or depth chart decisions - he's gravy.  Tate, Cobb, Hogan, Beasley are FA's we could target if we want to spend for experience in the slot vs. Fuller insurance. I'd rather keep DT around assuming he assimilates into the offense well.  WR's are a crapshoot to draft and take too long to develop.  I'd rather see us stick with a vet sidekick to Fuller and draft a RB to go with the obvious T's and CBs we need.      

Colvin and Coutee should both be back after the bye. Hopefully JJoe and Cunningham as well. 

Those would be huge upgrades. Our D held the Broncos to 17 points missing 3 starters. I think Wright has been a decent CB this season, so moving him back to our 3rd CB, 4th is Jackson plays CB at times. 

Should be primed for a run after the bye week. 

Davenport and Lamm haven’t been terrible the last 3 or 4 games. Even today Watson got sacked 4 times, one was all Rankin and another was a coverage sack. We still need new tackles but I’m starting to think they are serviceable for this season. 

Mancz needs to be starting. 

Griffin has been bad but Atkins and  Thomas are looking solid. 

Im in the camp that Foreman is finished but hopefully we get a look at him. 

At thw bye our biggest needs in the draft or free agency are Tackles, a CB, RB. 

I might would sign a left tackle and let Davenport, Rankin and Lamm compete for RT. 

Then we can go CB and RB in rounds 1 & 2. 

Watt is gonna need a couple multiple sack games if he is gonna get back in the race for leading the league. 

Archived