Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
lumberjackchris

2018 Roster

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

Brennan Scarlett to IR:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chron.com/sports/texans/amp/Texans-Brennan-Scarlett-IR-sign-Roderick-Johnson-13451993.php

He actually looked very good at OLB this season - pretty big loss. 

Roderick Johnson moved to active roster in a corresponding move.

Strange move.   Needed Roderick Johnson to avoid the lack of active o-lineman that happened a few weeks ago with Fulton and Kelemete both going down, but Deante Burton or Vyncynt Smith could easily be shuttled to the PS.  Scarlett is basically week to week with a minor ankle sprain and even practiced this week.   His value is diminished with Cole back, but we have 3 weeks and some playoff games to go and he's been a special teams standout again and unlike Peters or Kalambayi is quality LB depth.  BTW - Where has Duke Ejiofor gone - haven't seen him with quality snaps in weeks?  Romeo seems to be running a very short rotation and we can't be limping into the playoffs.

Edited by Apollo Stallion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

Strange move.   Needed Roderick Johnson to avoid the lack of active o-lineman that happened a few weeks ago with Fulton and Kelemete both going down, but Deante Burton or Vyncynt Smith could easily be shuttled to the PS.  Scarlett is basically week to week with a minor ankle sprain and even practiced this week.   His value is diminished with Cole back, but we have 3 weeks and some playoff games to go and he's been a special teams standout again and unlike Peters or Kalambayi is quality LB depth.  BTW - Where has Duke Ejiofor gone - haven't seen him with quality snaps in weeks?  Romeo seems to be running a very short rotation and we can't be limping into the playoffs.

I thought that Ejiofor has been hurt the last month of so. He might be playing through some of it, but i know he was inactive a few games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I predicted a few weeks ago, we designated Kayvon Webster to return from IR.  Shareece Wright had been amazing as our #2 until last week where he got abused (in his defense, TY also schooled Joseph and Kareem and Reid).  I've been thoroughly unimpressed with Colvin who flat stunk the first 4 weeks and has barely seen the field the past 3 weeks since he returned (0 defensive snaps last week).  Mike Tyson has gotten 142 defensive snaps, but only 14 the past 3 weeks with Hal getting 20-25 snaps per game the past month.   Natrell Jamerson got 78 snaps wks 8-9, but none since.  I welcome the chance for reinforcements if Joseph and Wright are slowing down and Webster is a solid man to man cover guy. 

BTW - This also means Kevin Johnson is gone for the season since we used our other return on Dylan Cole.  Will be interesting to watch as the Texans have $9 million reasons to hope he can pass a physical next season so we can cut him vs. the 5th year injury guarantee which will hurt. 

Edited by Apollo Stallion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets look at the offensive line:

Zack Fulton has been a disaster signing. Hes not lived up to his deal at all. We can cut him this off season and save 500k. I am guessing its safe to assume that for 500k, we keep him

Senio Kelemete has not been much better. He is on a much better deal though. We can either pay him 4 million to be back or cut him and save 2.5 million. I suspect hes gonna be back as well. 

Martin, Mancz, Davenport and Rankin are all on cheap rookie deals and will most likely be back. 

Lamm has actually graded out our best lineman, but thats not saying much. I suspect we dont bring him back because we already have 6 guys under contract, and will probably look to add 2-3 via draft and free agency. 

We current only spend 21 million on our offensive line. That ranks 28th in the NFL. Its probably not an accident that we have a terrible offensive line. Next season we only have 16 million committed which is ranked 30th. It would be awesome if our young guys were good, we would be set for a few years, but they arent and we arent. 

We have a huge supply of money for next year. I think we can bring back all our own guys we would want and still have 35-40 million to spend. And we need to spend it. Theres no reason to continue to hoard money. Lets go get some CBs and O-Linemen in FA and be free to go BPA in the draft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

We have a huge supply of money for next year. I think we can bring back all our own guys we would want and still have 35-40 million to spend. And we need to spend it. Theres no reason to continue to hoard money. Lets go get some CBs and O-Linemen in FA and be free to go BPA in the draft. 

You're potentially walking into a landmine with this - remember, the big ticket guys from last off-season (Andrew Norwell, Nate Solder, Trumaine Johnson, Malcom Butler) have all been significant disappointments for their teams. There's no promises that FAs in this off-season will be different...

Only difference between these guys and our guys is that we're not dedicating several expensive years to them and could cut them if needed (or bench them and not have excessive money just sitting on the bench). These guys were low risk/low reward guys - there was no reward from any of them, but no risk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, ET80 said:

You're potentially walking into a landmine with this - remember, the big ticket guys from last off-season (Andrew Norwell, Nate Solder, Trumaine Johnson, Malcom Butler) have all been significant disappointments for their teams. There's no promises that FAs in this off-season will be different...

Only difference between these guys and our guys is that we're not dedicating several expensive years to them and could cut them if needed (or bench them and not have excessive money just sitting on the bench). These guys were low risk/low reward guys - there was no reward from any of them, but no risk. 

I see your point, but at some point don't you have to take some risks if you have the cap space and your draft picks aren't panning out? I'm sure there is also a long list of successful free agent signings. One that comes to mind is the Alex Mack signing from a couple years ago. That's been a really good signing for Atlanta.

Also, Butler was only a disappointment for us during the first few games of the season. I wouldn't say he's been a shut down corner by any means, but he's been very good for us since. I wouldn't consider him a significant disappointment especially now that we really need him with Logan Ryan breaking his leg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×