2018 Roster

lumberjackchris

Not that this really changes his legacy of failure to find starters or even marginal depth in middle rounds, but this move finished off the 2013-2016 Rick Smith 3rd-4th Rounders - all 9 gone.  Glover Quin, Earl Mitchell, Brandon Brooks, and Ben Jones are the only one's still in the league from his 17 3rd and 4th round picks from 2007-2012.

• Brennan Williams, OT
  • Sam Montgomery, DE
  • Travardo Williams, DE

• CJ Fiedorowicz, TE
  • Louis Nix, DT
  • Tom Savage, QB

• Jaelen Strong, WR

• Braxton Miller, WR
  • Tyler Ervin, RB

BTW - His final class (Donta Foreman, Julie'n Davenport, Carlos Watkins) seemed doomed to a similar fate.  Sure Foreman's injury isn't his fault, but this 3rd round is one for the record books with Alvin Kamara, Kareem Hunt, and James Conner,  and 4th wasn't so shabby with Tarik Cohen, Jamaal Williams, and Marlon Mack and late round bargains in Aaron Jones, Elijah Maguire, and Chris Carson.  That's 6 bellcow starters and 3 significant time/shares. Davenport may pan out, but LT is clearly our #1 draft priority and when Kendall Lamm is a massive upgrade on the right, not sure he's got a spot as a starter in this league.  Carlos Watkins is a complete afterthought at this point buried behind UDFA's Dunn, Blackson, and Heath, without a tackle in the 2 games he's even been active despite Covington being out most of the season. 

12 minutes ago, Apollo Stallion said:

Carlos Watkins is a complete afterthought at this point buried behind UDFA's Dunn, Blackson, and Heath, without a tackle in the 2 games he's even been active despite Covington being out most of the season. 

Color me confused on this, I liked Watkins last season and thought he was due a breakout. What did he do to completely vanish? Or is he simply not good?

11 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

so you dont think o brien has any say on draft picks?

I think that was the entire reason Rick Smith got fired. They didn't agree on personnel decisions - at all

I don't like O'Brien either, but let's not blame him for mistakes made by Smith.

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I think that was the entire reason Rick Smith got fired. They didn't agree on personnel decisions - at all

I don't like O'Brien either, but let's not blame him for mistakes made by Smith.

eh idk. i cant really be convinced rick smith made ALL the decisions.  O'Brien clearly had some say as far as draft picks.  He was seriously considering Tom Savage in round 2 for god sakes. Tyler Ervin screamed "Bill O'Brien pick"  especially when O'Brien went on record saying we needed to improve our speed.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Color me confused on this, I liked Watkins last season and thought he was due a breakout. What did he do to completely vanish? Or is he simply not good?

I think we fell victim to just seeing Clemson DT and assuming he was going to evolve into DJ Reader 2, but these are different humans.  Whether by design or work habits, Reader has become very much of a true NT at 330 lbs, while Watkins has just been a replacement run stopping DE. They may have looked the same at Clemson, but Reader has gotten bigger and stronger seemingly every week while Watkins just looks like a softbody to me, lacking the speed and athleticism Covington and Blackson bring outside and lacking the strength Dunn brings inside (seriously - Dunn came back this season like he spent the offseason on the Watt workout plan as his muscles have muscles, while Watkins has a Michelin man look).   I don't think Romeo trusts him to execute all the stunts we pull when in 4-3 where Dunn/Covington usually get the snaps or often Blackson outside with Clowney or Watt stunting inside.  Dude is purely a run stopper, but last year he lacked explosiveness off the line and lost point of attack battles which can't happen for a guy who is supposed to get o-lineman on their heels - he's also a tall top heavy dude, so guards just get low and drive him back.  Romeo's D requires strict gap discipline and Watkins doesn't handle zone or combo blocks well which Saban exposed. He's only played 12 snaps all year, but he did generate solid pressure up the middle on a play where he should have had a sack, but was blatantly held from behind.  That play alone might help him get more snaps than Heath who does nothing for me. 

I'm not ready to write him off, but unlike Reader who clearly jumped from year 1 to 2, Watkins seems to be one of those guys who was a college stud who physically overpowered ACC OL's and thinks he's owed a job as a 4th rounder, but is getting outworked by hungrier guys like Dunn, Blackson, and Heath.  One of the reasons he dropped on draft day was concerns about his effort level and that he lacked a real go-to skill against top competition and thus far it's played out.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Eh... I wouldn't say no. But I wouldn't be overly excited. Can't be worse than Weeden, I guess.

i think hes gonna be a long term back up, who can come in and win you some games. I mean he was good enough to make the AFC championship game last year and has 17,500 career yards and over 100 TDs. He is also just 26. I think he gets signed by a team that will let him compete for the job, or possibly a Tyrod Taylor type deal where they sign him and also draft a QB. But still with Watson on the cheap, Id be willing to give him a 1/6 type deal to ensure that we have a back up who can play. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ET80 said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25454260/donta-foreman-houston-texans-running-back-activated-pup-list

Given how well Miller and Blue are playing as of now, I can't see Foreman getting much work. Maybe stealing some carries from Blue, but that's 2-4 touches at most?

Maybe next season we get a full dose of Foreman.

Foreman can be the answer to a huge hole at running back. Miller and Blue have been decent as of late, but Foreman looked like the real deal before the injury. The list of RBs who recover from that are slim, but I am hopeful he can come back ready to go next year. 

Great to have Foreman back!... Kind of surprised by the corresponding move which was cutting Natrell Jamerson. A 5th round pick by the saints and was one of their final cuts. We claimed him and he played at CB and special teams. He's been inactive since Colvin has come back from injury but I figured he was a guy we liked. I thought guys like Deante Burton and Sammy Coates would've been better cuts. 

Archived