2019 Draft Prospect Watch

Tetsujin

I'll focus on the Defensive Line because I think we need a DT and DE. 

Quinn and Harris may be the only DE's still around in 2020.  Philips will be a FA, and the other DT's might be OK, but not impactful.

I will not include the smaller 3-4 OLB EDGE guys. Lawrence, Wilkins, Ferrell, and Bryant are the Clemsons starting DL - which may be the most talented in CFB history.

DT

Ed Oliver - possibly the next Donald or Suh. Possibly better than Suh. Definitly bigger than Donald, but not Suh.

Dexter Lawrence - HUGE, athletic all-around DT. Ngata-type.

Christian Wilkins - Big, athletic all-around DT. Great player. 

Dre'Mont Jones - Haven't seen him much. Looks great, and athletic but not ideal DT size.

DE

Nick Bosa -  facsimile of Joey Bosa. Nothing not to like.

Austin Bryant - good all-around

Clelin Ferrell - good all-around

Rashan Gary - fitted to set up over RT, BIG, athletic, edge-setter, all-around player. 

Zach Allen - fitted to set up over RT, BIG, avg athlete, great edge setter, OK rusher, very skilled and tenacious. Led FBS EDGE players in stops in 2017. Great character. Perfect mid-1st round pick.

Bosa and Oliver are preseason favorites to be picked in the Top 2. As of now, there looks to be a least ten DL prospects that would go Top 15 in almost any draft.

I'll list some other 1st round potential types later.

Sticky this(?)

Edited by freak_of_nature

If Tannehill can be the guy he was in 2016 before the injury, we won't have to worry about QB.  Which means that if the team is as bad as the national guys are predicting, the strength at the top of the draft will fit perfectly with needs this team has, which is the defensive line.  Love me some Ed Oliver.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Regardless of Tannehill’s performance this year I see QB as our number one need.  It would be great to find a feasible QB early on draft day with the expectation that he sits for year one and starts year two with the release of THill.  On the Offensive side of the ball I would expect we target an OT and a WR if the top 3 QBs are off the board by time we pick.

Right now I would be surprised if we went DE in round 1, but DT is certainly a need as is CB IMO, and possibly even a LB if it’s that special type of player.

In round 2 I think we would be looking for a tall rangy WR or a good interior OLineman.

Edited by Swampbilly

1 minute ago, Swampbilly said:

Regardless of Tannehill’s performance this year I see QB as our number one need.  It would be great to find a feasible QB early on draft day with the expectation that he sits for year one and starts year two with the release of THill.

Right now I would be surprised if we went DE in round 1, but DT is certainly a need as is CB IMO, and possibly even a LB if it’s that special type of player.

In round 2 I think we would be looking for a tall rangy WR or a good interior OLineman.

Hayes and Wake will both FA's, and Branch is making over 10M in 2019 and can be cut with little dead money.

I think our top need going into 2019 would be a base 4-3 DE to play over the right tackle, who can set the edge and get after the passer. I might make a prediction now: If we finish with a good record, Miami may use multiple picks to trade up and acquire a DE. I think the roster is now good enough where we can do this. We also should have enough cap space next season to have any depth/holes plugged.

Round 1 targets

QB Drew Locke, Jarred Stidham, Justin Hebert

OT Greg Little, Jonah Williams, David Edwards, Trey Adams but he will fall to round 3  IMO due to injury

WR NKeal Harry, Anthony Johnson

DT  Ed Oliver will be gone before we pick, Christian Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence, Jerry Tillery

LB  Devin White

CB Andreaz Greedy Williams

22 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

Hayes and Wake will both FA's, and Branch is making over 10M in 2019 and can be cut with little dead money.

I think our top need going into 2019 would be a base 4-3 DE to play over the right tackle, who can set the edge and get after the passer. I might make a prediction now: If we finish with a good record, Miami may use multiple picks to trade up and acquire a DE. I think the roster is now good enough where we can do this. We also should have enough cap space next season to have any depth/holes plugged.

Wake will likely stay unless he plans retirement.  Quinn is signed until 2020, and Harris is still on his rookie deal and is in line to probably be a starter behind Wake ( that’s 3 starting caliber DE’s )This makes Branch expendable and if we draft a DT in round 1 then the same can be said of Hayes, although I can see Hayes staying for a modest veteran salary and Phillips allowed to walk.

6 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

I see Quinn and Harris as predominately RDE's (lining up over left tackle).

Hayes can probably be had for a few mill again, but I don't think they should shell out another 10M for Wake.

Quinn has experience playing RDE and LDE, but I see Wake returning on a team friendly deal as long as he wants to play and is playing well.  

• 3 weeks later...

After the first quarter of the season being over, it is clear to me that QB has to be the top priority. I know the big names, but again my requirements for QB are a little different from others. I want a QB that can create something out of nothing. A high football IQ and ability to scramble and avoid the rush is paramount. Those reasons are why I loved Carson Wentz, and Baker Mayfield. The QB I would love the Dolphins to target is Jarrett Stidham. He is a Drew Brees clone. Athletic, high football IQ, can read a defense. He throws a nice ball, even though he doesn't have over the top arm strength. His coaches and teammates love him, he is a natural leader. I just hope he doesn't rocket up into the top of the draft like Mayfield did.

49 minutes ago, ericsvibe said:

After the first quarter of the season being over, it is clear to me that QB has to be the top priority. I know the big names, but again my requirements for QB are a little different from others. I want a QB that can create something out of nothing. A high football IQ and ability to scramble and avoid the rush is paramount. Those reasons are why I loved Carson Wentz, and Baker Mayfield. The QB I would love the Dolphins to target is Jarrett Stidham. He is a Drew Brees clone. Athletic, high football IQ, can read a defense. He throws a nice ball, even though he doesn't have over the top arm strength. His coaches and teammates love him, he is a natural leader. I just hope he doesn't rocket up into the top of the draft like Mayfield did.

I think Gase doesn't need a prototype QB prospect to run that system, thankfully. Hopefully in Round 2 someone can be found and groomed.

6 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

I think Gase doesn't need a prototype QB prospect to run that system, thankfully. Hopefully in Round 2 someone can be found and groomed.

I’m not crying for Tannehill to be replaced or anything like that, but a QB upgrade in round 1 is our top need IMO.  Even if that QB rides the bench for a year then it still benefits us to draft him in round 1 since that gives us the fifth year option on the contract.  

I really like Hebert and Stidham.  I see Stidham as more of an inside the pocket playmaker whereas I see Hebert as a more extend the play with his mobility type playmaker, but both can make plays with their legs and both can sling it from within the pocket and both would be much cheaper and have better pocket presence than Tannehill.

Edited by Swampbilly

Here is a Stidham highlight video. What I pay attention to is how accurate he is. He is able to consistently "throw his receivers open", which is something that Tannehill lacks. He throws a very catchable ball. The other thing I notice is that he can "feel" the pressure, and once he scrambles he first looks to see if anyone is open. He also isn't afraid to throw into tight windows. When you watch him during a game, you can see that he understands what his receivers are doing, and knows where the routes are. It gives him the ability to quickly find an open receiver, instead of just having to scan the field. I see him snap his head around and throw almost in a single motion.